Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #113
We are towing a 2012 Ford F150. It is towable 4 wheels down, still have a truck for firewood (not hogging up the motor home) and have the truck for home! Works for us.

2012 Winnebago 36M
saxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #114
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't read every post on this thread, so I may be repeating something already said, but I towed an '05 Chevy Colorado crew cab 4X4. It weighs just under 4,000# as I recall. Very nice tow vehicle. I say "towed" (past tense) because I just last week had a guy run through a 4 way stop and total it. I'm shopping for a toad now, too.

2000 Rexhall Aerbus F53 Ford Chassis
Cheap Handling Fix, Five Star Tune
2005 Chevy Colorado Toad
Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #115
Monaco Owners Club
SRX Decision

Rdostal and others,
Great feedback and appreciate the decision process on the SRX. We're almost there too, checking the Costco process as you recommended.
Can I ask, what other towing equip decisions do you recommend? tow bar, braking, etc.?

Didn't know this decision process was going to be so much fun. Months on the coach, months on the toad and equip. This forum has been a great help. Appreciate the advice so freely given.

2013 Monaco Dip here is sunny AZ, "It's a dry heat"...
High2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 AM   #116
I have been happy w/ roadmaster tow bar, plates and RVi Braking system on my present Toad. (2012 Explorer) This is my 2nd toad and I have been towing over 40K miles with my Roadmaster Falcon II tow bar and it still performs like new!
2002 Dutchstar, Spartan Chassis, 350 Cummins, 2012 Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #117
Monaco Owners Club
Put us in the dual purpose vehicle camp. We pull an 07' Jeep Rubicon. Great all around vehicle and really good off road. The old mining roads around Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, CO should not be missed. 4 wheel drive only though. I shopped new and used and found ours with the Blue Ox base plate already on it and he through in the Blue Ox tow bar with all the accessories. Now I have two complete set ups. Ours is the hardtop (much quieter than a soft top) and we've driven it on road trips a couple of times. We were parked in Ouray CO and had to make a quick trip to a funeral in Southern New Mexico. Drove the toad down and back, about a 14 hour drive each way. Not as nice a ride as a Cadillac but not bad either. DW was surprised at how well it rode. Get what works for you.
Charlie & Olivia- Denton, TX, 08' Monaco Dynasty Squire IV, Cummins ISL 425, Blue Ox, M&G, Rubicon
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends"
chuck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #118
We had a look at a Jeep Liberty at the used lot which was already configured as a toad. The mechanic said the dealership normally removes and throws away towing gear when a toad comes in because they don't want to take responsibility for its integrity.

He also expressed concern about mismatching towing gear. He stated that the towing gear had to be matched to the RV. Intuitively, it would seem that if the gear is suitably specified for the toad, it should not matter if it is being towed by a pick-up, a class C , or a Class A. Am I oversimplifying and missing something?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #119
Monaco Owners Club
SRX as a toad

Great feedback on the SRX. Maybe a dumb question, but does the SRX odometer "count" the miles while being towed? How do other toads' odometers work while being towed?
High2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #120
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
I tow a Tracker. Stick the transfer case in neutral, the tranny in park the key in the ignition and away we go. I have towed it for 4 years without a lick of trouble. It drives great and about 28 MPG. When it dies I will look for another one.
I towed one for about 3 years with great results but be aware that they do not hold too well with a head on impact with a tree. my DW can testify to that
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #121
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just completed our first trip towing a Ford C-Max. Manual says it is towable but one thing we ran across was people talking about the battery running down on longer tows. So I bought the LSL toad charger and installed it. No problems with the toad or the battery and it's not a bad car at all. Admittedly one trip is not much but it went well.

Terri & Maria, Staci, Penny, Bailey and Stacker(our Norwich Terriers)
2006 Damon Tuscany 4076
2013 Ford C-Max
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote