Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #15

We were considering an Orieon Sandreaper, Orieon Motors ATV quads and street legal UTV vehicles Instead of our Polaris RZR & Smart Car. But decided against it.

BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #16

I really want a RZR, I just can't figure out a way to get it, a Jeep Unlimited and a Harley Road Glide into a trailer. I can't imagine replacing the TOAD with a SXS.

BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Anybody doing this? I'm looking at a street legal side by side and a enclosed trailer instead of a toad. Seems like it would be more fun to drive that to dinner than the old Cherokee
iamblum
Depending on where you travel you may have to walk to dinner.
(Unlike most "toads"....in many places "side by sides" are NOT "street legal").
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #18

I work too much and I'm poor so we mostly just travel here in Utah. I'm not sure my old 454 would pull my Cherokee very well and just figured this might be a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone
Old 04-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I suspect that more states don't allow them on the streets than do. We have one and we leave it in AZ where we winter. It is street legal, but, a replacement for the towed it isn't. Noisy, you sit right next to the engine separated by thin plastic that acts as an amplifier, breezy, even with my doors, glass windshield and full plexiglass rear, it is not unlike my motorcycle. I have a 1000 cc RZR, it will easily do 55 mph, but, certainly not comfortably...those knobby tires are great for getting me thru Three Feathers, but, lousy on the road.

My wife loves our SxS as much as I do, but, if I said "get dressed up, I'm taking you out on the town in the RZR", I'd soon be a bachelor...

EXACTLY!!
Without a doubt, a very sensible answer. People think: Oh, how cool to jump in the "Razor" or, any other sxs and run around town. But, here comes the winds, here comes some rain, here comes both, or, 95+ degrees, or a dust devil or dust storm, and, like what's already been mentioned, THE NOISE! We've passed those on the roadway and the drone noise, doing even 50 mph causes us to roll up the windows, THAT WE HAVE!

We've seen many on the trail and, the wives are about as dirty as you can get. They've all got wrapped up faces with bandanas, covers and more. We just turn on the A/C and enjoy the trail, listening to our stereo. This is a preference thing by far. The wife and I would no sooner pay $20-25K for one of those, when we can purchase a very nice jeep, with a hard top, RUBICON, air conditioning, DOORS, windows, and, THEY'RE LEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES.

Again, one must do what's best for them. Have a ball.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:36 PM   #20

Nm is one of the state's that don't allow them on the streets. I have sa 35gs Seneca Motorhome with a 20' enclosed v nose trailer for my gear. I have a SxS ranger that will go in front. I made the mistake of buying the trailer before deciding on what was going to be carried in it. Now if I want to take my SxS and a street legal vehicle. If I go by the factory specs for the ranger it is 110" long that leaves a max of 130" left for the car. I thought a jeep would fit but I'm several inches off and by factory specs for overall length there are only two modern vehicles that have a overall length less than 130". The smart cat at a little over 106" and a sion. The problem with the smart car as I'm finding out that trailer them requires special techniques for tying it down because it's a weak plastic car with no tie down points or a frame.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
That would make it ideal to go shopping in, won't be able to bring back as much junk!
Now that's a point I hadn't considered.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
If you are talking about the Spyder you will find there is more storage than you think. You could take home groceries for a week for a couple IMO without too much problem. I have driven one and it is very comfortable, quite powerful and has 4 sizeable storage compartments.

If you are talking about the Slingshot I have not been close to one.
It was the Slingshot I had seen. Like you I haven't been close to one. They do look like fun in the adds on tv. When you think they have run out of toys out comes something else.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
It was the Slingshot I had seen. Like you I haven't been close to one. They do look like fun in the adds on tv. When you think they have run out of toys out comes something else.
I have been in a Slingshot and, while they're a sort of "futuristic" type, they are extremely limited in what available storage they do have. It's right behind the drivers seat. You can put a helmet and a pair of gloves and wallet or two but, that's about it. There's two models. The lower end one with a different sized wheel and tire on the back and, the upper end one with a larger tire and wheel and, some other tid bits of gagetry.

But, they are INSANELY fast. They're running a automotive engine in them. It's a 2.4L Double Overhead Cam engine. It will cook that rear tire. Now, just in case anyone is planning any off roading, like a Razor or side-by-side, you won't get far. A bump about the height of a cigarette pack will stop you.

And, don't forget. A Slingshot is considered a MOTORCYCLE in many states and, that means, helmets too, depending on codes and laws where you reside.

Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #24

They look like so much fun!!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BLACKEY COLE,
the smart car has a threaded hole in the front and 2 threaded holes in the rear for ''recovery hooks''. one hook came with our smarty located under the passenger floor rug. I purchase another from Mercedes.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
EXACTLY!!
Without a doubt, a very sensible answer. People think: Oh, how cool to jump in the "Razor" or, any other sxs and run around town. But, here comes the winds, here comes some rain, here comes both, or, 95+ degrees, or a dust devil or dust storm, and, like what's already been mentioned, THE NOISE! We've passed those on the roadway and the drone noise, doing even 50 mph causes us to roll up the windows, THAT WE HAVE!

We've seen many on the trail and, the wives are about as dirty as you can get. They've all got wrapped up faces with bandanas, covers and more. We just turn on the A/C and enjoy the trail, listening to our stereo. This is a preference thing by far. The wife and I would no sooner pay $20-25K for one of those, when we can purchase a very nice jeep, with a hard top, RUBICON, air conditioning, DOORS, windows, and, THEY'RE LEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES.

Again, one must do what's best for them. Have a ball.
Scott
I've considered going with a jeep to simplify the toad dilemma. But most of the trails we like to ride, a jeep would not make it. At least not in one piece! Either because it's to wide or I wouldn't want to damage it. Plus there are many off road parks that don't allow them.

We have been at parks with jeeps and witnessed a $40-50k Rubicon try a rock climb that we just went up in our RZR, flip on it's side and did considerable damage to it! I thought the guy was going to cry! I would have, it WAS a nice jeep! I have flipped mine, been on it's side several times and just flip it back and drive on! I guess it all depends on what type of terrain and challenges you prefer. But that is the fun and difference of a RZR.

I'm not advocating using a RZR as a toad, that's why we are going to trailer a Smart Car & RZR. Just pointing out why we prefer a RZR for Off Road.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
I recently had the pleasure of driving a Slingshot and it was a blast..... Make a perfect toad....

Tags
toad