Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Side by side instead of toad?

Anybody doing this? I'm looking at a street legal side by side and a enclosed trailer instead of a toad. Seems like it would be more fun to drive that to dinner than the old Cherokee

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems like a good idea. Have seen several examples of street legal side by sides on the streets. Wonder what they would do in a rain or heavy wind blowing dirt?

Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

I call it a Jeep
Old 04-13-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

You're really limited in a sxs. I use a Meyers Manx buggy and that's pushing it due to the open nature of it. I have a top and doors too. (think screen door on a submarine.
Then the varying laws regarding streetability of a sxs and you're really limiting your options.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #5

Something to think about anyways. That's why I thought I'd ask around. I see them driving all over the place here in Utah. Just wondering what the rest of the world looks like
Old 04-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well, enjoy them in Utah, because a lot of other places don't allow them on the highway. We use to take ours to Utah because of the great trails and we could then drive it to dinner. Arizona allows them and I'm sure some others will chime in with other states, but California, Oregon and Washington don't.

We wish California would make the quads street legal so we could throw in the bed of our truck and have a second vehicle for sightseeing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:04 AM   #7

I suspect that more states don't allow them on the streets than do. We have one and we leave it in AZ where we winter. It is street legal, but, a replacement for the towed it isn't. Noisy, you sit right next to the engine separated by thin plastic that acts as an amplifier, breezy, even with my doors, glass windshield and full plexiglass rear, it is not unlike my motorcycle. I have a 1000 cc RZR, it will easily do 55 mph, but, certainly not comfortably...those knobby tires are great for getting me thru Three Feathers, but, lousy on the road.

My wife loves our SxS as much as I do, but, if I said "get dressed up, I'm taking you out on the town in the RZR", I'd soon be a bachelor...

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The new three wheeled side by side looks interesting and is street legal because it is classified as a motorcycle. I think it would be a pain to go shopping in, doesn't seem to have much storage, but maybe so.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:24 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
The new three wheeled side by side looks interesting and is street legal because it is classified as a motorcycle. I think it would be a pain to go shopping in, doesn't seem to have much storage, but maybe so.
That would make it ideal to go shopping in, won't be able to bring back as much junk!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

We generally choose between two toads (CRV or Xterra) or the SXS. RZR is great if the area has good access but outside of AZ and UT (and parts of NV) it's pretty limited on the street. If there's good off roading but the streets are not SXS friendly we take the Xterra.
PbdBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #11

When we were in Moab Ut. 2 weeks ago the side by sides were everywhere.. We had 4 of them parked within 50 ft of the MH at the rv park we were in.. Nice when they fired them up at 10pm and 6am.. We saw them everywhere on the roads.. very popular.. Weather was perfect for driving an open vehicle..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
If you are talking about the Spyder you will find there is more storage than you think. You could take home groceries for a week for a couple IMO without too much problem. I have driven one and it is very comfortable, quite powerful and has 4 sizeable storage compartments.

If you are talking about the Slingshot I have not been close to one.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #13

As long as there are OHV trails in the area, you'll see them on the roads. Moab is one of those areas, Benson is another, more OHV trails than paved roads (lots of government land where they are legal to run). I run mine on the local roads to get to those trails, to get it washed after a ride or to fuel up. If the trail is more than 8-10 miles away our group will trailer them to the trailhead. Have I ever used mine to go up to the Wal-Mart, two blocks away? Yes, but, as a general towed replacement, not going to happen.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #14

My last trip I saw at least 4 toad full sized pickups with a SxS in the bed of the truck..best of all worlds if your rig will tow it.

Tags
toad