Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Simple Toad Mod

I've read posts where some have have experienced expensive toad brake repairs because the brake actuator had the brakes on while towing, or the break-away switch malfunctioned. I ran a wire from the toad brake switch to the plug harness connector then up to the dash in the DP. Installed a red led light that now illuminates when the brakes on the toad are activated. Project cost was about $35.00. The biggest hassle was running the wire from the rear of the coach to the front. I found a plastic wire loom running the length of the coach and and tucked it into the loom. Since I do not use a charge line, I used that pin to make the connection.
My only surprise is how little the toad brakes engage when stopping in a normal fashion. Not sure if this is normal or if I need to increase the sensitivity of the RVI brake controller.
Winepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just installed an Invisibrake system on my toad, and it came with a monitoring light as you described. It also has an audible alarm that sounds if the toad brakes are on for more than a 20 second interval.
Definitely a good modification if your brake system doesn't include it.
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I ran a wire from the toad brake switch up to my dash too. I used a spare wire from the 7 pin connector on the rear of the MH (I think it was the brake wire for use when towing a trailer with brakes).

I found also found that with light brake pressure the toad brakes didn't activate. It is only with light brake pressure tho; the brakes on the toad work fine when I apply just a but more pressure.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I used a spare wire from the 7 pin connector on the rear of the MH (I think it was the brake wire for use when towing a trailer with brakes).
Great idea. I wish I would have thought of that before I ran my single wire
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I ran a wire from the toad brake switch up to my dash too. I used a spare wire from the 7 pin connector on the rear of the MH (I think it was the brake wire for use when towing a trailer with brakes).

I found also found that with light brake pressure the toad brakes didn't activate. It is only with light brake pressure tho; the brakes on the toad work fine when I apply just a but more pressure.
I didn't think of that either. I bet I have a wire is already there.
Next project I will post my idea and then let the experts weigh in
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can adjust the sensitivity of the TOAD braking system to be used everytime the MH decelerates or only during the hardest panic stop. I have mine adjusted so that during a typical 250 mile drive, the aux brake actuates maybe once a trip on the highway. I travel at 62 mph. I discount the actuations on off ramps since sometimes I carry to much speed or the radius decreases requiring an additional reduction in monmentum. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
If you try this (using the spare brake activation wire) on a Freightliner chassis you may find that the 7 pin connector is only a 5 pin connector at the dash. At least on the Tiffin Freightliner chassis I have.

I posted detailed info on this on the TRVN forum a few months back.

If there is an interest I can post it here. There is a plug that can be ordered to make the job easier.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good idea , How about putting that new brake light indicator in/on the inside windshield ? Up high above the rearview mirror . Perhaps you could see the light in your backup camera..
Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What kind of brake system are you using?

Mine has that all built in as part of the controller.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I'm using SMI's Air Force 1.

The original installation used the LED indicator provided with the SMI kit Velcroed to the back of the rear view mirror. It was quite hard to see with my rear view camera in the RV, especially on bright days.

So then I rigged up 2 large LED tail lights from Harbor Freight and mounted them in a holder such that I could place them on the dashboard of the toad. I wired them so one came on when the RV brake lights were activated via the 7 pin connector (and, hence, the toad brake lights came on too); and the other LED light came on when the toad brake was activated. Again - hard to see in many lighting conditions, not to mention you had to take your eyes off the road and "study' the rear view monitor to see if the lights were on.

That's when I decided I wanted a dash light. I can see that with peripheral vision much easier than looking at the rear view monitor.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok .. That's a good point about being hard to see .. Ah well , the simple solution
seems to not be the best

Tags
toad