Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Simple Trailer wiring question

I'm setting up my Seabreeze coach to pull my Ford Ranger 4 down. Coach has 5 post round socket and separate turn signals and brake. Dinghy has combined turn/brake and tailights. My question is do I really need something like the Brite-Lite Converter to make it work? Could I simply wire the brake wire in the coach to the left and right turn signal wires in the 4 prong wiring to the dinghy? Maybe I would have to isolate the brake wires with a couple of diodes so as to not backfeed the coach. I think I may be over complicating this. Any advice is very welcome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

You could, but then you wouldn't have blinkers on the toad.

You could add diodes to both the blinker and brake wires on the coach, than wire each up to the toad so everything worked.

Of coarse that is just building the converter yourself.

So either way your ending up with a converter, up to you to decide how much work you're willing to go through.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
You could, but then you wouldn't have blinkers on the toad.

You could add diodes to both the blinker and brake wires on the coach, than wire each up to the toad so everything worked.

Of coarse that is just building the converter yourself.

So either way your ending up with a converter, up to you to decide how much work you're willing to go through.
Agree....the converter is your diodes....done.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman38 View Post
I'm setting up my Seabreeze coach to pull my Ford Ranger 4 down. Coach has 5 post round socket and separate turn signals and brake. Dinghy has combined turn/brake and tailights. My question is do I really need something like the Brite-Lite Converter to make it work? Could I simply wire the brake wire in the coach to the left and right turn signal wires in the 4 prong wiring to the dinghy? Maybe I would have to isolate the brake wires with a couple of diodes so as to not backfeed the coach. I think I may be over complicating this. Any advice is very welcome.
Well Sir
Strictly speaking from a "safety sake", wiring the converter box into the system is the way to go. Think about it. If you were following you, on or in a busy traffic condition, and you (driving the coach) wanted to merge into a lane from a disappearing lane or, wanting to turn and brake with the sun to your back, and the drivers behind you cannot decipher what you're going to do because you have no turn signals, it COULD be disastrous.

Now, it's up to you but, I've wired in a ton of those converters, in both layouts several times. I say both because you can have it two different ways. One is "3 wire to 2 wire" and the other is a "2 wire to 3 wire". Both models work slick and make things seem just like normal for a driver following your toad which, it what I really like. I really like the tail lights in my toad to look and act, when I'm towing it, just like they do when I'm driving it. That's what drivers behind it kind of "expect" to see. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Starman38, the converter just gets you from a 3 wire brake/turn to a 2 wire brake/turn you will still need to add the diodes on the ranger brake lights.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies. First, I would never drive without proper turn, brake, and tailights on toad or coach. I've been confused on the 3 to 2, 6 to 4, etc. stuff. I have a Roadmaster Universal 4 way light kit (with 4 diodes) for the Ranger's 2 wire tailight, brake/turn setup. No problem there. At the coach, I have a 6 wire round receptacle that has only: tailights, brake lights, r turn, l turn. I bought a Pollack 6 to 4 way adapter. It plugs right into the coach 6 way. This adapter is one piece molded. I tested it with my 12v tester and tailights ok, rt ok, lt ok. No brake lights. The adapter brake feed is on the unused pin on my coach and I would have to move the brake ight wire on the coach receptacle to the correct pin to line up and feed the adapter properly. Is this ok ? Anyone familiar with this adapter? It is only a $10 item and is way less than the BriteLite. I wondered if it simply splits the brake light feed and applies it to the turn signal lines.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Starman38, The Pollack 6 way to 4 way adapter is just that a passive adapter. Just changes the LT, RT. TL and GD pin configuration from 6 pole roll to 4 pole flat.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I've got it right, the Pollack adapter won't get the coach brakelights to the dinghy without another wire. Then I would still have to convert it to get the combined B/T signals. Looks like the BriteLite converter is the most straighforward approach, correct?
Old 11-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Starman38, that is correct. I would install it before the plug on your coach.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will do that. Thanks for the help.

Tags
wiring