Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Size of flatbed to haul a car and motorcycle

I posted separate thread about flatbed questions, but thought I'd post this with a more specific question. Right now I have a motorcycle carrier that I use for my lightweight cruiser. It's nice in that it is NOT a trailer and just hooks into the RV hitch. However, I'd like to be able to bring both vehicles for longer trips. I have not gotten a flatbed yet (see other post), but wondering what is feasible. My car is 188" long. Therefore, it should fit on a 16' trailer. So, if I wanted to haul both on a flatbed could I get away with an 18' trailer? Has anyone hauled both on a flatbed? Of course, an enclosed hauler is optimal but we're not looking to go that route.

Any advice? Am I crazy for trying to put both on flatbed?

Notes about specs. Bike weighs just under 600# and is about 3' wide when standing straight (add several more inches if resting on a kickstand). Car weighs just under 3700#. Don't know if you need this info, but just in case.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #2

I hauled a 4dr Jeep Wrangler and 2 motorcycles on a 20ft trlr. Could have hauled another bike if moved the Jeep to the back edge of trlr.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I hauled a 4dr Jeep Wrangler and 2 motorcycles on a 20ft trlr. Could have hauled another bike if moved the Jeep to the back edge of trlr.
Hey Nick,
We just recently upgraded from an '03 TJ Rubicon to a '15 JKUR and, I just finished setting it up for towing. But, like your situation, we have an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing that we'd like to take along with us on many of our trips.

So, we're thinking of an Aluminum flat bed trailer, that would handle both the Jeep and the bike. Not sure what a JKU Rubicon weighs but, the bike is real close to 900 lbs. So, at present, I'm nonchalantly cruising through online trailer sales places to see what I'm up against in terms of pricing and availability.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
here is a good listing of prices

http://www.trailerfinds.com/auto-trailers-for-sale
Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #5

I paid $3500 out the door for a PJ 9900gvw steel dovetail trailer with wood deck. After researching there wasnt enough weight savings in my mind to go aluminum. The Jeep was in the 4500 lb range. I have since got rid of the Jeep and trailer and bought a new Ram crewcab longbed dsl and am going to tow it with the bikes in the back of it.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote