Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #29

[QUOTE=The Shadow;843793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post

What you and Chuck missed or didn't want to read or glossed over was the fact that I tried to get a CRV for towing and an Odyssey - but their lot was bare. Tried to consider an Escape Hybrid as well but none available either.

I do like your taste in MH's though. It should still be around and running well 15 years from now even if you don't have your CRV. If I were to go back to a 40 footer it would be on my shopping list for sure.
The reason you could not find a CRV is that the dealers are all sold out...all the CRVs are being pulled behind MHs.

Glad you like my MH. The dealer told me that very few Allegiances were made.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=The Shadow;843793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post

Oh, let me understand this now. You can pump the CRV and you aren't a Honda salesman. But I mention the Escape and you get uptight. Dream on. You seem to be about as biased as they come.

What you and Chuck missed or didn't want to read or glossed over was the fact that I tried to get a CRV for towing and an Odyssey - but their lot was bare. Tried to consider an Escape Hybrid as well but none available either.

I do like your taste in MH's though. It should still be around and running well 15 years from now even if you don't have your CRV. If I were to go back to a 40 footer it would be on my shopping list for sure.
Oh no, not me and my reading ability or lack of again. I want you to know SIR, that I have an IQ of 68 and am able to coprehend many things, some of which I can't remember just now.Although I knew hooverbill had kicked over the rock when I read his post. I knew he got your attention, but ME again. Peace, Love and drag anything you want behind you, they're all good.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #31

I don't know if it was mentioned already but I think the 2011 Explorer has a 3rd row seat. The Buick Enclave and Chevy Traverse also have 3rd row and are bigger than the Explorer.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
WOW! Lots of great information. Thanks all. I bought the MH (2004 Journey 330HP DP, ) used. It came with a Roadmaster 5250 hitch. I assume that I HAVE to buy a Roadmaster baseplate. Is that correct? I called Roadmaster tech support. Very helpful, but I was a bit confused. They make two baseplates for a 2011 Explorer, 4427-3 (MX) and a 4427-1 (XL). He tried to explain the difference but I am not sure I "got" it. I will have it installed so that is not a problem, but I am not sure which one I should buy.
I also have a braking question. Someone told me about a system you hook up to the toad that hooks into the MH air brakes. A brake Buddy came with the MH but it looks complicated. if I could have the toad modified to make it easier, I would do it. What ever the guy was talking about hooked onto the toad near the brake cylinder. When you connect the toad to the MH you connect the electrical and an air connector and you on on your way. Somehow braking is actuated to the Toad by using MH air signal to the toad brake system and the MH and toad brake at the same time. Does this description sound familiar to anyone? Sounds easy.
Toad criteria is: Seat 6 as this will be our primary vehicle at home (often referred to as the grammy bus), flat towable, and as many creature comforts and bells and whistles as the Nissan Armada LX that it is replacing. I also want it to be smaller than the Armada (aptly named), but big enough to satisfy the primary driver. She says size counts!!!!
When we retire, the replacement vehicle and a 2002 Chrysler convertible will be our only vehicles. The convertible is for sunny sundays and for me to drive the very few times we go separate ways, which will be rare in retirement. We may tow the convertible someday but that will require a tow dolly. Thanks for all your input.
I have the Roadmaster XL type of brackets on my 2004 Buick Rendezvous. We remove the towing arms when we are at home and the lower portion of the brackets are barely noticible. I purchased the brackets from adventurerv.net and had them installed by the dealer that installed my Remco lube pump. They charged me $150 to install the Roadmaster brackets. I felt the $150 for the install was worth is since they are Roadmaster dealers.Good luck in finding the toad that suits you.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #33

[QUOTE=hooverbill;843811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

The reason you could not find a CRV is that the dealers are all sold out...all the CRVs are being pulled behind MHs.

Glad you like my MH. The dealer told me that very few Allegiances were made.
The problem I had was they had a lot of the bottom level models and I would only take a top model with all the options. By the time that would have been available we'd have been in Florida for over a month. Same with the Van - lots of lower levels but no top lines.

Don
Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy
The conversation is getting spirited, but that is good. I might be at information critical mass, but I want to make an informed decision when I buy a toad and it has to meets my needs as well as the needs of my finance minister. She wants a vehicle that will hold 6 or more people. That is non negotiable. Everythign else is.
At my Ford dealer now. Had oil change and tire rotation for both Flex and Escape. Went on to the lot and sampled the third row in the Explorer. More room than the Tahoe but not great for long trips for a large adult.
I would definitely consider as a toad though, especially if only occasional use for 3rd row.

Don

Sent from my iPad
Old 05-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #35

Expedition with a drive shaft disconnect no big deal installing xl brackets or disconnect.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MPG difference

What do you think the MPG difference would be between towing a smaller vehicle such as an Escape and an Explorer?
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
As i said on another thread, iRIV2 forums are informative and

ENTERTAINING!!!!

sorry for being off subject here
rhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
What do you think the MPG difference would be between towing a smaller vehicle such as an Escape and an Explorer?
Jim, when we moved from a 2004 Colorado crew cab 4 x 4 (with bed roller and cap) to the 2007 Tahoe LTZ, towing with an ISC 330/950, there was no change - 7.6 mpg. Weight increase was about 1000 lbs (bed roller and cap added a lot to the Colorado).

With our Kodiak we only towed the Tahoe. Now, with the E450 we've only towed the Escape. My off the top guess would be not much difference between an Escape and Explorer depending on what is towing them. If it was more than a 1/4 or 1/2 mpg I'd be surprised.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Jim, when we moved from a 2004 Colorado crew cab 4 x 4 (with bed roller and cap) to the 2007 Tahoe LTZ, towing with an ISC 330/950, there was no change - 7.6 mpg. Weight increase was about 1000 lbs (bed roller and cap added a lot to the Colorado).

With our Kodiak we only towed the Tahoe. Now, with the E450 we've only towed the Escape. My off the top guess would be not much difference between an Escape and Explorer depending on what is towing them. If it was more than a 1/4 or 1/2 mpg I'd be surprised.
I would think that the only real difference would be in climbing hills.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote