Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Nine connections? Seriously? What kind of setup is that? I have a drop receiver in addition to the tow bar, but that's only 4 connection points. And really, the pivot point at the baseplate doesn't count for any of this because there's no way for slop there to reduce the vertical movement to horizontal movement conversion.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Never saw a pin like that. Did a search on Amazon with no luck. Any chance you could provide a link?
Try this:

Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 7023533 5/8 Inch Anti-Rattle Locking Hitch Pin Class 3 & 4: Automotive

Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Nine connections? Seriously? What kind of setup is that?
All Roadmaster. Starting at the RV to the back, here they are:

1) The pin where the 4" drop receiver plugs into the RV receiver.

2) The pin where the tow bar plugs into the drop receiver.

3) The long bolt that connects the head of the tow bar to the tow bar square tube. This Roll axis connection allows the tow bar arms to move 1 up and 1 down.

4) The horizontal bolt through the head . This Pitch axis connection allows the arms to move Up and Down TOGETHER.

5) The vertical bolt through the tow bar head. This Yaw axis connection allows the arms to swing side to side as when the towed goes through a turn behind the RV.

6) The spring loaded pin in the center of the tow bar that, when pushed, allows the bar arms to telescope in and out.

7) The swiveling, screwed on, end on each tow bar arm with the 3/4" hole in the end. This roll connection allows the RV and the towed to roll left side and right side up and down independently of each other (This is a different roll condition than #3 above.

8) The 3/4" pin that connects the tow bar arm to the baseplate plug in bracket assembly

9) The plug in bracket assembly that inserts into a baseplate tube and roatates 90 degrees to lock in place.

EVERY one of these connection has slop! If there are 9 connections and each one has only .050" (the thickness of a dime) of slop in the front-to-back direction, that adds up to almost 1/2".

My VERY worn old tow bar had MUCH more. Especially in the head unit of the tow bar.

The only connection missing from the picture below is the 4" drop receiver to RV receiver.

Go back and count yours again. If ANY two pieces move independently of each other.... There IS slop there!

Tim
Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ah. Huge difference from my Blue Ox setup. Your #3,4,5 connections are all one ball joint on mine. My extension arms latch very tightly, I'm sure the tolerance is barely 0.01, and the same for the pin connection into the base plate. The only areas with noticable slop are the receiver hitch pins, and the tow arm to base plate connection pins.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #19

My self-designed and home-built tow bar & baseplate (before I changed cars and went to Roadmaster) only had 3 slop points.

The bar to baseplate pins and the holes were oilite bushings, the hitch ball, and the receiver tube pin.

Because my RV overhang was so short, I rarely felt any tugging. Almost only at RR Xings.

I'd say, keep your Blue OX if it works for you. I have NO option. Roadmaster is the ONLY company that makes a baseplate for a newer Miata and I don't want to design and built one.

T'was good chatting with ya.....

Tim
Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
All Roadmaster.

There IS slop there!

Tim

I can believe that!
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #21
paz

Thanks. Unfortunately, it says for hollow shanks only, and my 10,000 lb drop receiver is a solid shank as is my towbar.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately, it says for hollow shanks only, and my 10,000 lb drop receiver is a solid shank as is my towbar.
In that case you should get the Blue Ox style immobilizers.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #23
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
In that case you should get the Blue Ox style immobilizers.
Yeah, but I was hoping for something cheaper since I use a drop receiver and need 2. Bolts are only $20 as opposed to over $50 each for the Blue Ox immobilizers.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #24

Quote:
I was hoping for something cheaper
Go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy a couple of "Hammer Head Wedges".

They are the wedges that one drives down into the top of a hammer handle to keep the head on tight.

Drive them ALL THE WAY into the gap between the TOP of the hitch receiver and the square tube that goes in.

Won't lessen the front to back slop, but will stop the up & down chatter as the tube rotates on the hitch pin.

Tim
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #25

X2 or is it 3 for the BlueOx receiver/hitch immobilizer

Blue Ox BX88224 Receiver Hitch Immobilizer II

I check the torque maybe twice a year and after 33K miles, there is still no movement between the tow bar and receiver.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That sloppy fit is by design. I have seen what happens when you leave a hitch adapter in a receiver that fits nice and snug for more than a short period of time... (Getting it out was not a simple task trust me).

If you do not like them wobbling, there is a product, used to be called an "Anti-Rattle Clip" but I think Blue-Ox now calls it a "Hitch Immobilizer) I have one and they work.

NOTE: I also have an "El-Cheapo" knockoff.. It does not work, Welds broke like toothpicks.. (The Blue ox one all welds are under compression loads. and the odds of them breaking.. Well. the word "Negative" comes to mind, they will NOT break)