Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Small 4X4 crew cab PU for Toad

In reading the new FMCA 2012 towables guide it looks like for a small 4x4 crew cab PU with auto tranny the only choices are Chev Colorado/GMC Canyon. No listing for Ford, Nissan, or Toyota small 4x4 PUs with automatic trannys to be used as a Toad. Am I missing something here, I thought anything with 4x4 and transfer case can be flat down towed?

Wagonmaster2

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
as for ford they no longer make a small pu (ranger) for sale in the U.S.
we toad a jeep wrangler 4 dr and love i
brianj

Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
In reading the new FMCA 2012 towables guide it looks like for a small 4x4 crew cab PU with auto tranny the only choices are Chev Colorado/GMC Canyon. No listing for Ford, Nissan, or Toyota small 4x4 PUs with automatic trannys to be used as a Toad. Am I missing something here, I thought anything with 4x4 and transfer case can be flat down towed?

Wagonmaster2
Did a little research myself and the pickings are thin.

Both Dodge and Ford discontinued their small pickup lines in 2011, which leaves 3 choices; the Chev Colorado, GMC Canyon, and Nissan Frontier.

If an automatic is needed, the Nissan will need a drive shaft disconnect from Remco.

You might need to find a 2011 or earlier truck that is still on the dealers lot, or a used truck.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #4

Just because a 4x4 has a transfer case does not mean it can be towed.

My 1990 Mazda 4x4 has to be towed in 2WH and the 5spd in Neutral. The automatic cannot be towed. The reason is when the transfer case is moved out of 2wd it locks the front & rear drive lines together. According to Mazda towing this way will cause damage. Never risked testing it.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We towed a Colorado 4x4 Crew for over 50,000 trouble free miles. It's a great little truck. Ours had the Z71 package and weighed 4200 lb. W/o the Z71 it should be just under 4000.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Usually any 4x4 with neutral in the transfer case can be towed flat.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We towed a Colorado 4x4 Crew for over 50,000 trouble free miles. It's a great little truck. Ours had the Z71 package and weighed 4200 lb. W/o the Z71 it should be just under 4000.
I bought a used 2006 Colorado 2x4 crew cab Z71 in 2008 just to be used as an around town vehicle with some highway traveling and within 3 months received a recall service bulletin notice from GM about problems with the engine valves and later another notice concerning the brake lights. This was my first GM vehicle since 1985 and was certainly disappointed with GM, again.

Currently have been towing a Jeep Wrangler since 2001 and was hoping to get a different Toad that would ride a little more comfortable with more passenger room, and the PU bed for hauling wouldn't hurt anything either. This way I could have one vehicle do the work of two now. Looks like I'm out of luck in that department.

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I bought a used 2006 Colorado 2x4 crew cab Z71 in 2008 just to be used as an around town vehicle with some highway traveling and within 3 months received a recall service bulletin notice from GM about problems with the engine valves and later another notice concerning the brake lights. This was my first GM vehicle since 1985 and was certainly disappointed with GM, again.

Currently have been towing a Jeep Wrangler since 2001 and was hoping to get a different Toad that would ride a little more comfortable with more passenger room, and the PU bed for hauling wouldn't hurt anything either. This way I could have one vehicle do the work of two now. Looks like I'm out of luck in that department.

Wagonmaster2
try a new wrangler 4 dr
it ride real well it has coils in all 4 corners
brianj
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can go to remcotowing.com and input the vehicle your looking at and see if it can be towed four down. If it cannot they will provide you with the mods that may be necessary to allow it to be.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also heard that GM was going to discontinue the colorada and canyon.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting article on the 2012 Ford Ranger seems it not a "compact truck" anymore and will not be sold in the US.
All-New 2012 Ford Ranger Not Coming To The U.S.: Here's Why
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I also heard that GM was going to discontinue the colorada and canyon.
Great, they discontinued the Olds and Pontiacs (which were my favorite cars back in the 50's-80's before their quality went down the tube) and now one of the few smaller PUs on the market. Not that I'm any fan of theirs today but it looks like they are losing some section of the market place. Guess they are like Wal Mart, quantity sales is all that counts.

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #13

You also need to be careful with GM vehicles now. As of 2010 (I believe) they have two different electronic transfer case options. a 1speed and a 2 speed transfer case. If you only get a vehicle with the 1 speed transfer case you lose the 4wd low option and more inportantly the Neutral option which means you cant disengage trasfer case and tow. Jon
Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
we recently purchased 2012 F150 that can be flat towed. New this year has a way to set it for 4 wheel down tow by sequencing the 4x4 switch. It's not really small, but it is a Ford.

Tags
toad