Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I believe the Smart Car gets 41MPG and the Prius is 51 city and 48 highway. Isn't it strange that that little car has worse MPG than the Toyota? The only reason I replied is that all the auto reviews seem to say the same bad things about the Smart Coffin.
Comparing the fuel mileage of a gas engined car and a gas/electric hybrid is hard to do - how does the Prius do when you don't use the electric side at all - can you even drive it without using the electric drivetrain?

We routinely get 40-45 mpg with our smartie in all types of driving. Your calling it a "Coffin" reveals that your knowledge of the car is limited to what you've read in the popular media. Take a look at smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo to see what the car can do, and to read of actual cases where the smart was involved in a wreck, written by the drivers themselves, check out safeandsmart.com: home

The smart car is definitely a niche car and doesn't appeal to everyone, but it is hardly a coffin!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While not for everyone one of my toads will be this 79 Spider, the original make over was going to be red but I don't want to tow something red behind me so it's up in the air about the dark metallic charcoal gray color that's on the nose of the bus. It'll weigh in at under 2300 lbs!

Unfortunately the other toad is a 98 Explorer 4X4 and is red already

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #17

Mini Cooper S with a manual transmission. tow four down, good mileage, roomier than most people think, and FUN to drive.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Smart was voted the worst car in the USA. Toyota products are not generally approved by Toyota for towing 4 down. I'd second a MINI Cooper, I owned one and it was the most fun car I ever owned, except for my Jeep.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes I tow a 1991 Miata 5 speed. 2400 lbs. No mods needed.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Comparing the fuel mileage of a gas engined car and a gas/electric hybrid is hard to do - how does the Prius do when you don't use the electric side at all - can you even drive it without using the electric drivetrain?

We routinely get 40-45 mpg with our smartie in all types of driving. Your calling it a "Coffin" reveals that your knowledge of the car is limited to what you've read in the popular media. Take a look at smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo to see what the car can do, and to read of actual cases where the smart was involved in a wreck, written by the drivers themselves, check out safeandsmart.com: home

The smart car is definitely a niche car and doesn't appeal to everyone, but it is hardly a coffin!
"Coffin" was my own word...the rest was from auto mags. I guess that I shouldn't say coffin in referring to its size. I drive a four door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited because I am a big guy and I can go anywhere with it, so I guess I have a prejudice against tiny cars. I can't picture myself crawling into a car like that. Besides, we need room for our pooch. My wife has a PT Cruiser convertible and I have driven it on occasion and find it "cute" but way too small. My daughter gave me a subscription to MotorTrend and Consumer Reports as a gift for one year. I am not a car nut, she just used those offers where if you subscribe you get a gift subscription for someone at no cost. So I just got some car info from there. When I was attending North Western U for police administration small cars were debated for safety and always lost, but what does my wife pick?...the little PT Cruiser! She is happy with it and if she is happy...everybody is happy. In my Jeep I have a place for my dog way in the back and he has a halter and an attachment so that he is safe if I were to have an accident. He would fly to the "back" of the second row of seats and not fly through the Jeep. I couldn't even have a hookup like that in a small car.
Oh well...my reply was not meant as a personal attack to anyone. People can drive anything they want. That's the freedom that we have. Happy trails to you...whatever you drive. Joe
Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife has been calling my Spiders as pictured above coffins since I bought my first one back in 1970.

Joe wise idea having your dog strapped in I could not begin to count the number of accidents I've been to that animals have taken off from the scene when a window broke or the door popped open, they're scared and run like heck to get away most never to be found again.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #22

I have towed a 4X4 Jeep Wrangler 25000 miles, four wheels down. Just put four wheel drive in neutral and tranny in park. It has a position on the ignition that you set for towing.

Never had a problem but wouldn't want to drive it a long distance.
infinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity1 View Post
I have towed a 4X4 Jeep Wrangler 25000 miles, four wheels down. Just put four wheel drive in neutral and tranny in park. It has a position on the ignition that you set for towing.

Never had a problem but wouldn't want to drive it a long distance.
What year Jeep do you have? Joe
Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
here is my toad
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/new-t...oad-78078.html
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have enjoyed towing our HHR that only weighs 3200 lbs. I installed the wiring and base plate myself.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have towed our 2003 Toyota Matrix over 25000 miles. The owner's manual says it can be towed without an issue.
I understand all Toyota manual cars are this way.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #27

A Honda CRV has worked great for us. We want seating for four when needed and still have room for groceries.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Don't go by what someone says about "Reviewers in auto magazines" saying a car is junk. Mentioned by "azloafer" on the first page of this thread. Consider the percentage of those that might be saying this. First off, how many of them have owned a Smart Car? There's nothing wrong with a Smart Car as far as quality, construction, etc. They've been around in Europe for decades. If you ever go to Paris, you will see them on every corner. After all it was designed by Mercedes. The only thing that is wrong with them is when you need service. There's not nearly enough dealers.

I've owned one for a couple of years. Haven't had any problems at all. My wife and I thought it would be ideal to pull behind our gas motorhome because of it's size. The good mileage was an extra. Ends up I decided against towing it four down, all though there's a lot of folks that do. The reason I didn't want to tow it four down, is the little car isn't very far off the ground, and the angle of the tow bar would be pretty low. Plus, I was worried about hitting a pot hole or something in the road, that could swallow the little car. Instead we trailer ours. The AlumaLite Trailer and the car combined only weigh 2,300 lbs.

Now after all the above said, will we buy another one. Probably not. Primarily because of the lack of service locations. Plus, not mentioned above for us older folks it's a little to hard riding for us with it's sports car suspension. Also, we thought we could get by with only room for two.

Take all of these reasons into account, and make sure you give yourself a good long road test if you decide to check them out.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote