Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #1

small car to pull

It is now time for me to purchase a vehicle to pull behind my MH and i am interested in getting the smallest car i can get that will pull with 4 wheels down that is available without a bunch of modifications. Is there something out there that is available and it does not have to be new, as long as it is in good shape. The former owner of the MH has a Falcon (puller) as i will call it. I think it is an all-terrain if that means anything. Trying to get ready for the spring and summer travels. I would like to say that you members of this forum have been so helpful to this Pilgrim to the MH world, and i thank you. I am sure i will have many more Questions. Thanks. Rivrduk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motorhome magazine has their Dihngy towing guide on their website that lists vehicle that are towable. It even includes any speed and distance restrictions for each one. They also have older guides from the past years.

High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would recommend a Chevy HHR, roomy, fun to drive and can be towed four down without modification.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #4

Can you drive a manual transmission vehicle? If so, you may want to look at a Toyota Yaris sedan or hatchback or a Scion X/A or X/D. Lots of features at a reasonable price, great fuel mileage and small size. However, only the manual transmission models are towable 4 down.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Saturns are towable 4 down and you can pick them up fairly cheap as they are no longer made. They are still servicable at GM dealerships.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #6

You did say smallest. I may be mistaken but I think the Smart for two is about as small as you can get followed by Honda Fit. Both towable 4 down.

Smart for two:
smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo

And it is small!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

Saturn is the darling of the 'toad' vehicles. Too bad they are no longer manufactured, but they are still out there in the used market.

We tow a Chevy HHR and it too is a 'darling' to tow. About 3100 lbs.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There are several to choose from - We looked at three, finally purchasing a 2010 Honda CRV, mainly because friends who also have a CRV as their toad.
We installed the Blue Ox brackets, blend right in barely can see them unless you know what to look for. Had to point them out to a couple of people.
After hook up, start engine, place in gear - move gear shift thru all gears - then back to neutral - leave switch key in accessory position, which does not lock front steering. Honda states you can travel up to 8 hours before needing to repeat the start, run thru gears, etc. We generally try to stop at approximately 200 - 250 mile intervals.
Well pleased, plus the CRV is comfortable, averages about 25 mpg.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The Honda Fit comes in at 2,500 # and can be towed four down.

Dan
Old 01-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diveman52 View Post
You did say smallest. I may be mistaken but I think the Smart for two is about as small as you can get followed by Honda Fit. Both towable 4 down.

Smart for two:
smart USA - open your mind to the car that challenges the status quo

And it is small!!!!
Reviewers in auto magazines remark that the Smart Car is junk. (Their words...not mine) The Toyota Prius, admittedly at twice the price of the Smart Car, actually gets better MPG and is much larger and a quality product. I believe the Smart Car gets 41MPG and the Prius is 51 city and 48 highway. Isn't it strange that that little car has worse MPG than the Toyota? The only reason I replied is that all the auto reviews seem to say the same bad things about the Smart Coffin. Happy Travels no matter what toad you buy. Joe
Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

But the Prius isn't towable, so it is irrelevant.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
But the Prius isn't towable, so it is irrelevant.
OOOPS! I didn't check that part out. Thanks for the info. That's my first mistake for 2011. I don't want to talk about 2010. Joe
Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We own both a Prius and Smart Car. We use a tow dolly for the Prius but the Smart can be towed 4 down, although we put ours in a enclosed trailer with the Goldwing TriCar. The Smart has been a great car for us mpg are in the low 40s and it has lots and lots of creature comforts. New they are not even expensive as cars go.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We too own a Smart Cabriolet and love it. It's the diesel model that was available until 2006 and we get 60+mpg (Imperial). We tow it in an aluminium enclosed trailer along with our Yamaha RS Venture.

Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote