Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Small car trailer

We have a Triumph Spitfire we would like to take it with us on trips with the motorhome. I have been looking at car haulers, but most of what I have found are huge car trailers that would be overkill. This car only weighs about 1600lbs and has a very narrow wheel track, so a lot of the car haulers won't work because the car won't fit on them without some major reconfiguration to the trailer. Also, ground clearance is about 4", which means longer ramps are needed or the trailer needs to be configured in some way to prevent the car from hanging up when loading and unloading.
I found a place that sells trailers for Smart Cars, looks like they might work, but the website is sketchy and does not have a lot of information, regarding price, options, dealers, etc.

SMART CAR TRAILERS, SMALL CAR TRAILER, AND UTILITY TRAILERS

I'm wondering what others use and where they bought from, etc. Any information is appreciated!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Trailers look pretty ordinary & you are right could not find a price.

I've been searching for a trailer to haul a small tractor.

Craigslist seems to be a good place using key words like car hauler, car trailer, utility trailer, with ramps, dovetail etc.

Most smaller single axle trailers will have axles up 3500 lbs, which should handle what you have (car + trailer weight). Also look for ones with brakes and if you want brake away system.

The other option is an enclosed trailer, your car is small enough to easily fit and it would keep the car clean while in transit.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have a Spitfire (early 79). I think they can be towed 4 down. Have you looked into that possibility? I've towed mine a very short distance, but not behind the MH.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I also have a Spitfire (early 79). I think they can be towed 4 down. Have you looked into that possibility? I've towed mine a very short distance, but not behind the MH.
Thanks for the reply. Ours is '73, first year of the 1500 engine. I think the Spitfire could be towed short distances, but no way would I want to try towing it 4 down at highway speeds for any length of time. Having rebuilt the axles twice and the differential I just don't think the car is robust enough for that. Also not sure how my overdrive would react. And it would require a custom bracket and a very deep hitch drop to work properly.
I also have a TR7, so buying a trailer to haul one or the other seems to make the most sense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Spit and a TR7! They must keep you busy! Is the TR7 a convertible?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Alum Trailer

When we owned the '05 Adventurer, we used an Aluma 7712H aluminum tilt bed trailer for our Smart. This trailer can easily handle your load. The tilt bed feature is great to have since it eliminates the need for ramps and heavy tail gates.

Do a search for Aluma and you will find their dealers. We used a dealer in North Texas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMART 1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	105538   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMART 2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	105539  

vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
A Spit and a TR7! They must keep you busy! Is the TR7 a convertible?
Yes, it's a 1980, Spider edition. I enjoy working on them, although I have to admit it's a labor of love sometimes.
It would be nice to be able to take one or the other with us since so often when we travel we always end up in areas where it would fun to have the Spitfire. Usually lots of rural hilly roads or scenic drives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MagentaSpit.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	821.3 KB
ID:	105541   Click image for larger version

Name:	spider201505.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	105542  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
When we owned the '05 Adventurer, we used an Aluma 7712H aluminum tilt bed trailer for our Smart. This trailer can easily handle your load. The tilt bed feature is great to have since it eliminates the need for ramps and heavy tail gates.

Do a search for Aluma and you will find their dealers. We used a dealer in North Texas.
Yes, that's what I'm looking for! Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Really as long as you look at tilt bed trailers the common car hauler would probably work. I''ve rented one a few times to bring home my catch of the day. They really make loading easy with the least amount of work.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Yes, it's a 1980, Spider edition. I enjoy working on them, although I have to admit it's a labor of love sometimes.
It would be nice to be able to take one or the other with us since so often when we travel we always end up in areas where it would fun to have the Spitfire. Usually lots of rural hilly roads or scenic drives.
That Spitfire is "very Nice" a guy that owns one of those has got to be a pretty good mechanic/tech. The ones I was around , of those years, were "hands on", not for trouble free use.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A place to look Aluma Trailers For Sale

Featherlite also makes some very nice trailers. http://www.featherlitespecialty.com/
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
We have a Triumph Spitfire we would like to take it with us on trips with the motorhome. I have been looking at car haulers, but most of what I have found are huge car trailers that would be overkill. This car only weighs about 1600lbs and has a very narrow wheel track, so a lot of the car haulers won't work because the car won't fit on them without some major reconfiguration to the trailer. Also, ground clearance is about 4", which means longer ramps are needed or the trailer needs to be configured in some way to prevent the car from hanging up when loading and unloading.
I found a place that sells trailers for Smart Cars, looks like they might work, but the website is sketchy and does not have a lot of information, regarding price, options, dealers, etc.

SMART CAR TRAILERS, SMALL CAR TRAILER, AND UTILITY TRAILERS

I'm wondering what others use and where they bought from, etc. Any information is appreciated!
I own a Caterham super 7 and had the same American dilemma. "Go big or go home" I found a great builder on Vancouver Island, BC. The company is called Express Custom Mfg. They custom built me an all aluminum trailer. It is a twin axle one as well and tows so nice because of that. It weighs around 650-700 Lbs. And best of all. With the CAD exchange rate the trailer only cost me $2,600 and the cost of the trip to Parksville, BC. It meets US DOT specs and has the papers to show this. No import duties either.
Here is a link to my flickr page so you can see what a nice trailer it is. https://www.flickr.com/photos/130801546@N06/
1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice trailer, and some great photography!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by super7pilot View Post
I own a Caterham super 7 and had the same American dilemma. "Go big or go home" I found a great builder on Vancouver Island, BC. The company is called Express Custom Mfg. They custom built me an all aluminum trailer. It is a twin axle one as well and tows so nice because of that. It weighs around 650-700 Lbs. And best of all. With the CAD exchange rate the trailer only cost me $2,600 and the cost of the trip to Parksville, BC. It meets US DOT specs and has the papers to show this. No import duties either.
Here is a link to my flickr page so you can see what a nice trailer it is. https://www.flickr.com/photos/130801546@N06/
Very nice! Unfortunately the cost to drive to BC from Chicago would probably eat up any savings. However, my sister lives in Seattle, might be able to work something out where she buys and stores it until I get there next summer on our vacation that we have planned.
Beautiful cars and photography! I envy you guys in PNW.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]