Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Small truck as toad

Any thoughts on what small truck could be toad (4 wheels down). I am giving up on my new unused dolly. FOR SALE by the way.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

The 2015 4 wheel drive versions of the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon are towable 4 down. Haven't ever owned one, so can't comment about how it tows. There are owner's manuals online that tell how to put the transfer case in neutral so you can tow. I do remember that you have to remove the negative cable from the battery.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #3

Thanks on the Colorado idea, but I found this must be a 4 wheel drive, at least for this model. Still looking for other small truck ideas.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Dave,
I towed my 2007 Toyota Tacoma dbl cab. I still have it, but have set up my Honda Element to tow. You didn't mention price range/etc.

Bob
2009 Yamaha V star 1300
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #5

$10 to 15k on the price range. I have heard that it must be manual transmission.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My toad is Ford Ranger extended cab manual trans. Have towed it for ten years and quite happy with it.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post
Thanks on the Colorado idea, but I found this must be a 4 wheel drive, at least for this model. Still looking for other small truck ideas.
KAMPURR,
First off, based on your answer, you would prefer that your intended little truck NOT be FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. Second, if that's the case, may I ask why not? Third, of the smaller trucks that are basically AUTHORIZED (via the owners manual and, factory specs) to be flat towed on all four, about 99.99% of them are four wheel drive. The main reason is because they have a transfer case that not only has neutral but, also must be put into NEUTRAL for flat towing.

While you may not have a need for four wheel drive in your daily driving and or, used as toad, the benefit of four wheel drive is multi-folded. The resale value (if that's important to you) is enhanced. It allows for non-technical issues when it's to be used for flat towing. Meaning, no aftermarket transmission pumps, no disconnecting drives hafts, no drive-shaft disconnects to hassle with and more.

I'm not trying to convince you to purchase a four wheel drive vs a two wheel drive. I'm just stating that, towing issues are easily resolved if one is chosen over a two wheel drive. And of course, if you have it, (4WD that is) and it's needed, you're in luck. And finally, the additional weight of a 4WD truck, (i.e. due to the adding of a transfer case, front drive axle and, additional drive shaft) is basically not even noticed in fuel mileage or, towing it behind a motor home.

Your motor home is going to get a certain fuel mileage, whether it's towing a 4WD or, 2WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMPURR View Post
$10 to 15k on the price range. I have heard that it must be manual transmission.
Well, if a smaller truck is your intended toad, then yes, unless things have changed in the mechanical world in the last 50 years, it must be a stick tranny. And, kind-a regardless of folks that say they've flat towed their ...... for x amount of years without any issues, upon selecting a model, I'd at the very least run down to either your local, RELIABLE transmission shop or, a local dealer for the style/model you chose and, check in with a tech that does surgery on stick trannies of the type of truck you've chosen and ask about ANY potential issues you may or, may not encounter.

I'd still choose a 4WD and, DID! Waaaaaay easier.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
x2 with what FIRE UP said, on all his points.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:41 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep. 4 wheel drive- it's a no-brainer!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #10

We have friends who tow an older model 2WD Ford ranger, manual trans., 4-down. It must work fine, they have towed that ranger all over the U.S.A. and Canada.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #11

Tow a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl 5-speed Access cab Prerunner (prerunner sits high and looks like a 4 wheel drive, but is a 2 wheel drive). 4 down, but on longer tows (over about 125 miles) I do unhook the drive shaft. The driveshaft where it meets the differential is held on by 4 bolts on a flat plate that takes 5 minutes or less to unhook or hook back up. It has an idler bearing on the drive shaft so don't have to worry about the drive shaft slipping out the back of the transmission. I made a hanger underneath that I hang the end of the drive shaft on when unhooked. I like the Tacoma as gets over 24mpg putzing around. Works well for me, but perhaps when I get older I might have to look at a different set up as getting down and underneath the pickup will get tougher at some point.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
Tow a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl 5-speed Access cab Prerunner (prerunner sits high and looks like a 4 wheel drive, but is a 2 wheel drive). 4 down, but on longer tows (over about 125 miles) I do unhook the drive shaft. The driveshaft where it meets the differential is held on by 4 bolts on a flat plate that takes 5 minutes or less to unhook or hook back up. It has an idler bearing on the drive shaft so don't have to worry about the drive shaft slipping out the back of the transmission. I made a hanger underneath that I hang the end of the drive shaft on when unhooked. I like the Tacoma as gets over 24mpg putzing around. Works well for me, but perhaps when I get older I might have to look at a different set up as getting down and underneath the pickup will get tougher at some point.

Milehghcty,
Your last sentence says it all. About 9999999999% of us are way too old and, wouldn't even think about laying down, in the dirt or, wet (possible rain) road, in the dark (arriving late at a campground) and any other ugly set of conditions, to re-connect a drive shaft, after driving as many miles as some of us have driven in given day.
Then, on the opposite side, you're ready to go, all hooked up, and, you have to get back under there and, disconnect it.

I guess if it works for you, than that's all that's important. Personally, I wouldn't do it that way if I was paid to. But, that's just me.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #13

Ya'll are awesome, thanks for the help.

Tags
toad