Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #1

Question Smart Car

We are considering purchasing a Smart Car. The plan is to tow it for a while. We are hoping that some company comes up with a rear hydraulic lift to pick it up sideways (I think only 2" will hang out on each side of the coach). Should be able to get away with that. Really get tired of worrying about towing four down and not being able to back up when I need to. Anybody have any comments? Positive or negative? I have spent considerbal time exploring the Smart Car. There is no question it has plenty of room inside for two people and it certainly will keep up with traffic............

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at this link!

New Toad

Old 10-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I own a Smart and I'd rather tow my Explorer. People are having trouble with wheel shake due to the short wheel base on the Smart. If you think about it, when you turn left the overhang from the rear wheels on the coach and the trailer hitch tries to turn the Smart the oposite direction. Some have had sucess with putting a bunge cord to hold the steering wheel straight.

Another fact was it takes at least 8 hrs for a mech to install tow rig on the Smart because it has to tie into the rear frame.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #4

Thank you AK

Very good advice. I had thought about the short wheelbase as a possible problem, but assumed it could be cured with alignment. The tow bar situation I would never have known about if you had not told me. So now I am down to waiting for someone to make a hydraulic lift, use a trailer or forget it........
Old 10-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #5

Jim:

Thanks for the website look see. The trailer is nice but I'm trying to avoid that third piece of equipment that is always a pain in the --- to park somewhere.
Good idea though.........
Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Stretch

I would give the bunge a try. I see a lot being towed. I installed my own tow brackets on my Explore in about 2 hrs compared to taking the Smart completly apart. And then I figured 4 seats against only 2. Plus my Explorer gets the same gas mileage as the Smart when it's on the back. In fact I have hoist for a golf cart on back . I know it only holds a 1000lbs but if I could of got it on there I would of give it a try.
Smart is 1800 lbs
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #7

Seems like the golf cart lift could be modified by a qualified welder to hold the Smart. No?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
a k

Newmar Owners Club
It's welded to the frame. Besides the added weight would lift front of coach slightly. I don't even use it. I can switch from cart to motorcyle. The Harley only weights 650 lbs but I would rather pull in in the trailer.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As I'd mentioned in the other article New Toad One good thing about the trailer I purchased is it's only 14-feet long with the tongue included. Once unloaded and unhooked I can slide the trailer under the back of the motorhome and only have about 11-feet sticking out. With my 35-ft motorhome this is only 46-ft. Most pull-thru's and even many back-in's have this much space. Just something to think about.

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote