Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #1

SMI Air Force 1

Who has the best price and service on an Air Force 1 braking system? I have looked around and 1,049.00 seems to be about the best price. Where is a list of sponsors located at on this forum,I cant find a thing. I'd like to do businness with one of them. Maybe just me but I'm not seeing them. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to our Vendors. .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/vendor/list-by-alpha/
It's located here just under the word FORCE.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-650570060.png
Views:	101
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	35224

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #3

What do you feel is so special about that braking system that you are willing to pay over $1,000 plus what looks to be quite an involved and time consuming installation? I am not trying to be a smart --- but just asking as I am looking and learning also.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
What do you feel is so special about that braking system that you are willing to pay over $1,000 plus what looks to be quite an involved and time consuming installation? I am not trying to be a smart --- but just asking as I am looking and learning also.
Most braking systems that aren't part of a surge brake built into a tow bar/dolly are close to $1,000, give or take a range of about $800 to $1300. So $1K isn't out of the ball park. Unless you have a dolly with surge brakes, installing any brake system has some complexity but, of course, some are more complex than others.

Given the choice between installations that are under the hood and those that attach to the brake peddle via an arm We chose the AFO. Once it is installed it eliminates the need to place then remove a braking device from the floor of the toad. It is set and forget. AFO provides proportional braking based on the pressure you apply to the MH brakes. Other systems that don't do this also provide proportional braking based on accelerometers and such. Many of them do a find job but, again, you have to put them in the toad to tow and then remove to drive. Removing things in the way of the brake peddle also vary in level of effort needed to do that. Many of the other units also require a bit more drain on the toad battery to operate.

We felt that because the AFO didn't require additional action each time we needed to set up the brake system and remove it, it provided for an even quicker set up and tear down. As an example, being a newer driver I KNOW that I am going to get myself into a jam at some time where I will want to back up but with a 4 down that is a NO-NO. With AFO I won't have to also disconnect anything attached to the brake peddle and then re-attach it later. This could be a real headache if I miss judge an entry into fuel pump and people are backing up behind me. I'm gonna be embarrassed enough just disconnecting the toad. LOL AFO only needs an additional hose connecting the air pressure system between the RV and toad.

Installing the AFO is not much more complex on the toad then many under the hood systems like Invisibrake. In fact, I think it is pretty darn simple. My BIL and I spent about 4 hours on the toad installation in my CRV and he made it look real pretty too. Friday I am having an RV shop do the RV side and they quoted 1.5 hours of labor. That means I will have about $1300 of hard cash wrapped up in the AFO install. Between the tow plate and AFO install we put in about 11 hours of labor. A lot of that labor was getting the fascia off of the CRV! (4 DARN CLIPS took about 1.5 hours to get loose! )

In the end, just like MH selection, the choice of toad, trailer, dolly is very individual. That goes the same for brake systems and in the end, it is YOUR choice but you will get a lot of opinions and most are well worth consideration. The hardest part will be for folks like me with ZERO experience to totally understand the potential factors we just don't even know about yet. Experience teaches a lot. LOL

Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #5

Sky Boss. I'm told that the CRV battery will drain in about 4-5 hours of towing. Are you going to instal the battery switch to kill the radio/nav ??
Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Sky Boss. I'm told that the CRV battery will drain in about 4-5 hours of towing. Are you going to instal the battery switch to kill the radio/nav ??
Yes...I may later install a toad charger but I will start with the switch. I don't have the NAV so I think I would have a bit longer life without the switch.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
LASS,

A little side bar to this is that Blue Ox offers 2 fuse bypass options. For "some" 2012-2013 models it has a bypass for both the ACC (radio) and ACC keylock fuses but for "most" it has a version with only 1 bypass for the ACC (radio) fuse. http://www.blueox.com/ShowApplicatio...ype=4&pid=1479

I'm not sure there would be anything wrong with pulling both fuses but they are looking into it for me. Have you are anyone else dealt with this decision?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK...my "final" answer. LOL 1 bypass only.

Per page 236 for EXTENDED TOWING is only says to remove the 7.5A Accessory Radio Fuse which is fuse number 19.

I found something while triple checking my OM and it also says on page 235 that if you pull behind a MH you MUST change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or 2 years, which ever comes first. I hadn't seen that before.

I downloaded the 2012 manual and yep...it says to pull both fuse 19 & fuse 20 so something has changed between 2012 & 2013 models. Maybe the realized both were not needed?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #9

I chose the AF1 because of easy of use and vacuum assisted braking. Ever try stopping our vehicle without the engine running? It don't work to good. Push as hard on the brakes as you want without vacuum applied to the brake booster the brakes are not very helpful. AF1 has vacuum assisted braking just as if your vehicle were running and one line to hook up for towing. I was very close to buy the master brake but no vacuum assisted braking was what change my mind. Just about any quality brake is going to cost 1k. Vacuum assisted braking equals a few feet less distance in an emergency braking situation, which could save me or my bride and anyone else on the road,= priceless.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #10

And thank you for the link to the the vendors.. I don't know why I could not see it.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use the M&G system. Simple and no electrical drain. About $750.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I use the M&G system. Simple and no electrical drain. About $750.
I've read good things about M&G. I was thinking it was around $850 or so after adding the break away switch. Certainly worth consideration as a comparison to AFO.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #13

It's not always the braking system which drains the battery. It's the accessories which are left on when the ignition switch is in a position other than 'Lock' or 'Off' when the key can be removed. Most cars require you keep the key in the ignition in an off position, but will still have accessory drain.

I'm an SMI Air Force One fan. I had an Even Brake. It died, and I installed the AFO. Proportional braking, and it works great. We sell and install lots of them. Many happy owners, including myself.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
OK...my "final" answer. LOL 1 bypass only.

Per page 236 for EXTENDED TOWING is only says to remove the 7.5A Accessory Radio Fuse which is fuse number 19.

I found something while triple checking my OM and it also says on page 235 that if you pull behind a MH you MUST change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or 2 years, which ever comes first. I hadn't seen that before.

I downloaded the 2012 manual and yep...it says to pull both fuse 19 & fuse 20 so something has changed between 2012 & 2013 models. Maybe the realized both were not needed?
Sky_Boss, I re checked my 2012 owners manual and the only reference for the fuse is to pull the 7.5 amp Accessory radio fuse. which is why I have the single cut off wire harness. If you are planning to add the switch to your 2013, save some time and buy the long stem fuse in advance. The factory mini will not plug in.

Good luck and if you try to install the switch per my pictures posted previously, you can not use the supplied backer nut. Not enough room.