Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Bob if you only use the exhaust brake the AFO had no effect on the braking system. I would never ride the brakes, which would only heat up the coach brakes with no good results or complete brake failure. Use your brakes the same way as without the AFO, A firm braking to the speed you want then let up to cool them off and use the proper gear selection for a safe descent down the grade.

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #30

When you press the service brake (brake pedal) the AF1 sends the proportional signal to the toad to put the toad brake on. When you release the pedal, the toad brake releases, regardless of what the exhaust brake is doing. The exhaust brake generally sees the toad as an additional 2000-3000 pound heavier rig. It doesn't know it's a load being pulled behind so just does it's own thing, depending on how it's programmed to act. The exhaust brake can be programmed to engage/disengage in a number of different ways, but that's another whole story and has nothing to do with the AF1.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clefor View Post
I mounted my tank right in front of the drive axle on the coach body. I mounted the tank and the valve on the coach body separately because it was a lot easier to that way. That way I only had a short distance from the valve to my tank. Then I ran the toad line alone the frame back to the rear of the coach on the drivers side frame.
I have a question for ya, did you separate the tank and valve body off the black mounting bracket? I think that is what I am reading here, I have no room on the frame to mount it, unless I go back closer to the engine which means a long run of hose from the coach spring brake valve to the tank Assembly. when you say coach body, are you meaning not on the frame?

Sorry for all the question
Thanks
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Yes , I did and I separated the tank and valve body, then mounted them. I had to mount them on the coach body as I did not have room to mount it on the axle frame. Yes, with the 6 air bags on the rear frame it can move a long distance up & down when leveling the coach, so you have to allow for that movement with the proper length air line. On mine Iím only about 2 Ĺ ft. from the coach brake valve

Ok. In the picture you can see how I mounted it. The black tank and the shiny valve body to the bottom of the picture is the AFO system. You also see the shiny fitting on the left picture is where I added a tee (no cutting of original lines) to the coach valve that supplies air to the AFO system. The other valve and tee I added is behind the ABS wires harness, so it is hard to see, but you can see the white thread tape that is the other coach valve. The black line from the shiny lower right corner is the line that goes to the back of the coach to the toad fitting. As you can see, all my air lines are very short runs except the line that goes to the toad.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Yes , I did and I separated the tank and valve body, then mounted them. I had to mount them on the coach body as I did not have room to mount it on the axle frame. Yes, with the 6 air bags on the rear frame it can move a long distance up & down when leveling the coach, so you have to allow for that movement with the proper length air line. On mine Iím only about 2 Ĺ ft. from the coach brake valve

Ok. In the picture you can see how I mounted it. The black tank and the shiny valve body to the bottom of the picture is the AFO system. You also see the shiny fitting on the left picture is where I added a tee (no cutting of original lines) to the coach valve that supplies air to the AFO system. The other valve and tee I added is behind the ABS wires harness, so it is hard to see, but you can see the white thread tape that is the other coach valve. The black line from the shiny lower right corner is the line that goes to the back of the coach to the toad fitting. As you can see, all my air lines are very short runs except the line that goes to the toad.
Very Clean install, I got all my fittings in place, I also didn't cut the lines, added tees and such to get lines hooked back up.
I just got off the phone with Jason from SMI, he said I can mount the tank anywhere just have to run two lines. If I can't find a place a place near the brake valve then I may put it near my filters. To get to the body on my coach I think I would have to go on the other side of the differential. and it is a ways up there, I would have to use self tappers as there is no way to get a nut/bolt in there. I wonder if self tappers would be wise.

Thanks Again for you help.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Jason is very good to work with! Yes you can mount the tank and valve anywhere it will fit on the frame or the coach body and secure all lines with wire ties. Not sure either on self tapper, I would think that the proper size tapper would work as long as the mount plates are solid when mounted and do not allow the tank or valve to vibrate going down the road. If you do use them, just make sure you know what is on the other side of the mount you are attaching to.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Done!

All that's left is the LED light to the dash area.
I was able to take tank and valve off bracket and mount them separate. Tank couldn't be parallel to the crossmember but it's in!
I think down the road I will get a flexible line to put between the coach and toad and change my 4 pin on the jeep to a 5 or 7 pin and wire the LED into that.
I put all my tubing in the protective sleeve.
Thanks for all the tips!

After the pictures I went back and did the other tubing in the protective sleeve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3095502493.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	47702   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3103923786.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	47703  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2032355600.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	47704  
Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
It's a good feeling to have keep the money that it would have cost you for the installation in your own pocket!!!! and also help with understand the brake system better if any troubles should arise in the future.

Safe travels.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
It's a good feeling to have keep the money that it would have cost you for the installation in your own pocket!!!! and also help with understand the brake system better if any troubles should arise in the future. Safe travels.
Yes the learning was great as was the savings, while I was there I greased her and checked things out.

Thanks again everyone