Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
SMI Air Force One install.

I just finished installing the Air Force One system in my Ford F-150 and my Monaco Camelot. It went very well. Takes some time to do but it is very straight forward. It was a tremendous help to be able to watch the install videos that are on YouTube.
I chose to solder and shrink wrap all electrical connections. Took a little longer but I think it is a cleaner way to do it.
I also decided to install a switch for the brake light that is used on the dash of the toad. That way, I just flip the switch to turn on the light that is visible in the MOTORHOME camera.
System works very well and is exactly what I wanted.
I had a little difficulty locating the correct air lines to connect to and the tech guys at SMI were great. I sent them a picture of the air valves under my coach and they marked the correct lines to cut in the pictures and emailed them back to me.FANTASTIC customer service !!
Wonderful product and people !
I'm not affiliated with this company in any way. Just a very satisfied customer !
Safe travels....
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1451962840.497957.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  108.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Good system, Greg. You won't be sorry.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We love ours!
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:11 AM   #4

It is really a great system and its been problem free for us!

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great system. I installed it in my rig and Chevy Colorado. Easy installation, very reliable and works great. 2 suggestions. Bump up your air pressure governor to 130lbs and I installed an air switch on the brake actuator then used the electric brake wiring on the coach to run a small led light on the dash to let me know the system is working.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #6

Nice job.

I bought my CRV intending to go from a dolly to 4-down until I realized what a big deal supplemental braking systems were. There seems to be a bunch of half baked systems out there, but I like the AF1 the best. But it looks like a nightmare installing the master cylinder portion of the system. Anyone here installed one on a late model CRV?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Nice job.

I bought my CRV intending to go from a dolly to 4-down until I realized what a big deal supplemental braking systems were. There seems to be a bunch of half baked systems out there, but I like the AF1 the best. But it looks like a nightmare installing the master cylinder portion of the system. Anyone here installed one on a late model CRV?
The AF1 doesn't install on the master cylinder. You must be thinking of the M&G. I also use the AF1 and think it is great system. I have used the same one since 2008 and transferred it between several motor homes and vehicles.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
The AF1 doesn't install on the master cylinder. You must be thinking of the M&G. I also use the AF1 and think it is great system. I have used the same one since 2008 and transferred it between several motor homes and vehicles.
You're right. I confused the two
Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

We are very happy with our AF1 system and did the install myself. Two phone calls to customer service answered my two questions and the system works great. I didn't like the light to be observed with the camera. I tied into the toad brake light switch wire & ran a wire thru the 7 pin connector to an LED light on the dash of the coach. When that light illuminates I know when the toad brake pedal actually moves. I also installed separate LED tail lights in the toad rear light housings with a separate wiring harness. Only tie-in to toad electrical is the above light, AF1 power at battery and a 12 volt hot line from coach to toad battery to keep toad battery from being DOA. 2015 Thor Palazzo towing a 2015 Ford Explorer.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Greg.....good job on the install. I also sent them a photo of the air lines and they did the same thing, marking what needed to be cut. Their new air valve connection is a little more complicated, but is safer and works better than my previous AFI unit that just tapped into a brake can.

Here is something I did, that you might like. Rather than use a switch to turn a light on the dash of the toad to see if the brakes are coming on, use the same wiring and just install the light on your RV dash. This way you see it immediately, without searching in the camera. This is how I check my system. Once connected, I step on my coach brakes and my RV dash light illuminates, telling me everything is working.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Nice job.

Here are some pictures I just took of my CR-V install. The weather is poor today so I didn't get just what I would like to have.

PM me and I will give you some tips and tricks. This is not a big job. Modifying the fuse was a bit more of a challenge.

Rick Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	break.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	115851   Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	115852  

Click image for larger version

Name:	smi control.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	115853  
Old 01-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Here are some pictures I just took of my CR-V install. The weather is poor today so I didn't get just what I would like to have.

PM me and I will give you some tips and tricks. This is not a big job. Modifying the fuse was a bit more of a challenge.

Rick Y
Thank you for the compliment.

In the SMI directions I received they had me trying to take the grill off from the back of it. The radiator made that impossible. An online search came across a method associated with installing fog lights. There are clip release points on the front of the grill. Push a small shafted screwdriver into each and the grill is off in just a couple of minutes. After that it goes quickly and with ease.

This system does work very well. I have been in a couple of heavy braking situations and stopping was no problem.

Rick Y
Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
One thing I like to do different than the instructions, is change the screw they use to hold the cylinder down in the car floorboard. There is a fair amount of pull on that screw and wire. I through bolt mine with a large washer on the underside. It takes two people, but makes for a better install.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Good idea Don. I also thought the factory supplied screw was a little bit too light so I used a heavier one. Think I will through bolt mine also.
I also have to raise the cylinder in the brake arm. My big foot keeps hitting it !!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install