Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #15

Can someone please explain the differences between the AF-1 an d the other SMI brakes? My toad (LX470) has it's own booster pump, so is the AF-1 what I need? Why is it better than other SMI products?

slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #16

OK, just talked to the mfr. and came away very pleased. The AF-1 seems so simple, it's hard to believe it works! You get a tee with their kit which ties into a rear brake line and feeds the box at rear of MH. This box is a "failsafe" unit that will close if air starts rushing through and pressure drops due to line failure.

Then out of this box is an air line to a box under the hood of the toad. It also connects to a booster pump to maintain press. for the braking system. Then an air line leads to the 4" long cylinder mounted on the brake arm. A wire goes up front on the MH dash which mimicks the toad brake actuation light...that's about all there is to it! It also has a breakaway line, tied to a supplemental air canister for the obvious reason. Oh yeah, a 4 wire line between vehicles to operate the system. Looks like an easy DIY install....said they can do in about 5-6 hrs....your time/mileage might vary!

Let's hear from more of you as further info becomes available, please. One other thing....your chassis manufasturer might not like the tie into the braking system.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:56 AM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

When my local tech contacted Newmar IRT adding this system to my coach,they wanted him to install a "check valve" in the air line to prevent the coach air system from being affected.
He was told that Newmar will offer this check vave as an option for those folks ordering coaches that want to use air systems.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Bob -

Can you elaborate a bit more on the 'check-valve' you mentioned? Do you have a part number/mfgr for it?

I'm contemplating the AF-1 to my coach, and would be very interested in using such a valve.

My other question, for all AF-1 users, is how does the entire system know how much braking action to apply at the toad and at the coach? I realize the coach and toad is supposed to be in-sync, but I'm baffled by how each portion knows to do its fair share if there's not an adjustment. Coming from the old electric trailer-brake days and its little controller box that constantly needed fiddling-with, I feel 'naked' without some way to match the respective braking forces.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">He was told that Newmar will offer this check vave as an option </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bob! Wasn't there a few posts awhile back that some of the members posted that Newmar said that was untrue, and Spartan said they will not be responsible for Liability if someone tied into their air lines?? Paul
Old 12-13-2006, 07:45 PM   #20

Ron, I asked the same question of the factory guy and was told that all cars required about the same amount of force to apply the brakes....approx. 15 lbs, I believe he said. That did surprise me, but he assured me it would work even with my "hydro-boost" braking system. Upon further questioning, I was told they have some smaller cylinders which would give a lesser "push" on the brake pedal IF your car might require it. So bottom line is they will work with you to solve any of these types of problems.

But I'm still with you, I'd sure like to have the ability to field-adjust the brake prssure. But that would require another apparatus which would further complicae what I consider to be a pretty simple system.....I kind of like that.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This AF1 seems to be a take off on the M&G braking system. I have had the M&G system since 1999 and love it for its simplicity and it works great. I have a gasser and had to install a small auxillary air compressor and tank under the rear of my coach because I do not have air brakes. If you have air brakes it ties into your regular air brake system.

Glenn.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #22
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jetsmania
Hi Bob! Wasn't there a few posts awhile back that some of the members posted that Newmar said that was untrue, and Spartan said they will not be responsible for Liability if someone tied into their air lines?? Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, my local tech is a guy named Lou Murden in Virginia Beach....He personally called Nappanee and spoke to someone at Newmar, (he knows that name,I don't) and was told just what I posted.
I've been in and out of town recently and thus out of touch with Lou,but I will call him tomorrow from Arkansas and get the full story.
I specifically recall "check valve" and Newmar doing it in the future...
Old 12-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #23

Hi Bob! Maybe I am dreaming but, I thought that on this forum, or one of the others, that someone called Newmar after you posted that they told your tech about the check valve. They were told no way. Also thought that after that it was posted that Spartan said at the rally they do not want anyone tapping into their air lines. I thought they were offering some sort of add on tank so it would not be a problem. I am sorry if I am mistaken. Paul
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, when you were a kid did you ever play the game where you sit kids in a circle and tell the first kid something and then by the time it gets around to the end there's NO WAY you can decipher what was originally said?

Sounds like a real "lack of communication" in my opinion....awful frustrating too.

I'll call Lou as soon as I can in the morning and get him to repeat what he told me...
Old 12-15-2006, 03:33 AM   #25

Hi! I guess I will not rely on my memory any more. I really do not have the patience to go back and find the posts. Sorry if what I posted has caused any problems. Paul
Old 12-15-2006, 05:10 AM   #26
Administrator Emeritus

Paul....my post wasn't meant to be disrespectful, nor was I doubting what you said or posted Sir.

All I was trying to say was that even though I'm sure "someone" at Newmar/Spartan said no, I truly believe someone did tell my tech "yes"...

As weird as it may seem,I saw the yes/no thing in person on a smaller scale when in Nappanee...

I am sorry if yiu took what I was saying as disrespecting your thoughts..

Bob
Old 12-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my post wasn't meant to be disrespectful </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bob! I never thought you were. I was just adding something from my poor memory, but on 11/22 Jerry Kelly made a post about the Spartan comment. I guess that was part of what I was thinking. Once again sorry and I will test my memory before posting. Paul
Old 12-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
No, No, No. ThiS IS A VERY INTERESTING THREAD.
We are also considering the AF-1 on our new Monaco so am trying to learn and digest all I can about this unit. Bob was not knocking your post.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote