Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I too, am a satisfied US Gear Unified brake system user. Bought mine in 08 and used it for 6 years on our previous coach and during that time, switched over the system to three different toads. We now have a new mh, and all I had to do with it was connect a small adapter cable between the dash mounted monitor and the mh's trailer brake connecter that Freightliner provides (and is located under the dash).

It has worked perfectly all this time and with all the different vehicles.

That said, I've also heard nothing but good about the AF1 system and seriously doubt you'll have any problems with it.

Pick one and go with it.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #16

Thanks To All

Thanks to all who responded. Coach arrives in 1 week. Ended going with US Gear product mainly because it did not require access to coach air system. As a previous poster said, if I have to buy another it will be the SMI product. Then I will be able to say that I owned one of each of the best.
Happy RVing...
JeanAndAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Andy... most rv chassis makers provide a "trailer brake" harness that is connected to the electrical plug next to the hitch. The other end is usually tucked under the dash board with a cover on the connector. Check with your chassis mfg and they should be able to talk you through finding this connector.

You will also need an "adapter" from US Gear that will mate to this "trailer brake" connector and the US Gear monitor.

Good luck....I think you made a wise choice.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #18

US Gear vs Air Force One Braking Systems

I purchased a US Gear Braking System and have had three control modules fail around the one year mark. If I were to replace the most recent one, which by the way failed just after the one year warranty expired, it will be the fourth control module since the initial purchase. I will be replacing that system with an Air Force next month. It has been a very expensive experience.
Vcroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:02 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Vcroswell, that is a crying shame, you must be extremely unhappy about it. Since nobody else has reported such problems, I can't help but wonder if there is something awry in your installation that is killing these control modules.

My US Gear system has been working for 12 years without a failure. I know that is is no comfort to you. If I were in your situation I would either find the installation culprit, or replace the system with an Air Force One unit. Life is too short to cope with continual failures.

Hopefully you have resolved the problem by now and have a reliable US Gear system. Could you report back and let us know?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:05 AM   #20

There is a new Unified Brake System

The old system was sold by AP Products and the Inventor no longer sells that system. He redesigned it and sells thru SmartBrakeLLC. The controller is a standard trailer brake controller like Tekonsha Prodigy. Plugs into my chassis harness.
Im thinking of going with the new system. Haven't heard, on an earlier post, if anyone has installed the new system and how they like it.
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 PM   #21

U.S. gear vs Airforce one

I resolved the problem at great expense. I had the U.S. Gear system removed and purchased a different system. The old system was checked out by two different installers and found to be installed correctly. It was just bad electronics.
Vcroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
SMI Air Force One

I am very pleased with the SMI-AF1 system. The quality and content of the 'kit packages' and instructions is first class and complete to the detail. Installation is not necessarily difficult, however due to the critical nature of the systems involved, professional installation is recommended for most.

Connection is simple and in no way interferes with normal operation of the 'towed' ...this is appreciated when you don't have to install or remove a big-brake-box-thing from the driver's footwell every time you connect or detach the tow (gets old very fast).

Seat of the pants feel is, "Like it's not even back there." As is should be.

Doug & Dog

Allegro Bus 36QSP w/ RAM2500 4x4 CDT in tow
Old 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurfaceblow View Post
I am very pleased with the SMI-AF1 system. The quality and content of the 'kit packages' and instructions is first class and complete to the detail. Installation is not necessarily difficult, however due to the critical nature of the systems involved, professional installation is recommended for most.

Connection is simple and in no way interferes with normal operation of the 'towed' ...this is appreciated when you don't have to install or remove a big-brake-box-thing from the driver's footwell every time you connect or detach the tow (gets old very fast).

Seat of the pants feel is, "Like it's not even back there." As is should be.

Doug & Dog

Allegro Bus 36QSP w/ RAM2500 4x4 CDT in tow
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #24

As a owner of a Hummer H3, the United Tow Brake system is the only system available that correctly works with the electrically operated power boosted brake system on my vehicle. I am very happy with it. No one offers anything that works for my vehicle except UTB.
injuredvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake