Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Question SMI Air Fource One Ground Problem

I tow a 2007 Dodge Dakota 4x4 behind my 07 Meridain. According to the Dodge manual, when towning, the battery ground wire has to be off the battery. If I do this, the light I installed on the dash will not light up when truck brakes are applied via the SMI system. I ran seperate wires from the light to the rear of MH for the hook up according to SMI instructions and the system ground is done via the truck chassis. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

R. Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
I had the same question about by Jeep. I planned to install another brake switch so the light could be powered with the battery neg terminal disconnected. The battery switch I bought had a bypass wire and fuse that allowed this arrangement.

I gave SMI a call. They suggested a vacuum switch rather than another brake switch. For about $40, they can supply it or your local NAPA may have them. With the same battery switch and the bypass wire/fuse, you can power the AFO and the vacuum switch and the LEDs from the car battery even when the neg terminal is disconnected from the car (BTW, in normal operation, the AFO consumes no power other than what the LEDs want, so there shouldn't be any battery drain issue. I drove three days without running the Jeep's engine and, on the fourth day, it cranked right up).

My solution was, based on a lot of experience from the gang at IRV2 concerning towing issues on Jeeps, I do not disconnect the battery. I just completed a 4000 mile trip with no apparant ill effects (no engine/trans issues, no odometer incrementing, etc.). But, I really don't know about the Dodge.

Give SMI a call and keep refreshing your post until some Dodge owners chime in.

About the indicator LEDs. SMI suggests you mount the assembly on the tow bar. I mounted it temporarily to check it out. I really want to be looking at the back of the Jeep as I'm tooling on down the road, not at the tow bar. So, I made up an arrangement to clip the LEDs to the rear view mirror. It worked better that the tow bar, but in some lighting conditions, it was difficult to be sure the light was on/off when appropriate. I decided there's nothing like another light on (or near) the dash. I plan to add that before the next trip.

'07 Bounder Diesel 38N
'08 Jeep Liberty Pusher
SSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Steve, thanks for the information and I appreciate the time you took to explain. I will give SMI a call.

R. Francis is offline   Reply With Quote