Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #1

Would anyone have installed the SMI Vacuum-Assisted Braking - Stay-IN-Play Model on a VW Golf 2003 or earlier? I would like to know if there is enough room to install the vaccum canister on the brake pedal and still be able to apply the brake with your foot when you are not towing.

Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2005, 03:57 PM   #2

Would anyone have installed the SMI Vacuum-Assisted Braking - Stay-IN-Play Model on a VW Golf 2003 or earlier? I would like to know if there is enough room to install the vaccum canister on the brake pedal and still be able to apply the brake with your foot when you are not towing.

Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:18 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I've installed on a different vehicle but if you have about 6 inches of clearance above the brake pedal you will be fine.

Some folks seem to think the vaccume acuator could get in the way but I don't even know mine is down there.

Also, if you have any questions give SMI a call. They are friendly and very helpful. They can probably tell you about your VW Golf.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
When I installed mine on the saturn, at first I wondered if the cannister had enough room. I dont even know it it there now. You sorta find yourself changing how you hit the brake pedal. But I would agree that it might be a good idea to call the folks at SMI and ask them. They were very helpful when I had questions.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote