Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SMI Duo Stay N Play Question

I currently have a Class C motorhome and my toad is equipped with the SMI Duo Stay N Play braking system. I did not install the SMI, nor did I watch it being installed. I will soon be upgrading my coach to a Class A Diesel Pusher (Newmar). I will still be using the same toad. I wonder if there are any components of the SMI that I should remove from the Class C to reinstall on the DP or will I need to buy a whole new unit?
Latrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 04:09 AM   #2

There should be nothing to do except perhaps a charge line on your new coach. That will keep your towed battery charged. When I had the stay n play installed on my truck, we did a charge line to ensure the truck battery did not get depleted while being towed.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:17 AM   #3

It looks like you need a check valve and tee involved on the coach side. You can purchase this from the manufacture.

Your new coach needs a different package, it will work off the coach air system, I am in the process of installing one myself. The coach package that works with the Air Force One tow vehicle package I bought costs around $350.00, not sure if the SMI Duo Stay N Play system is compatible,

Try going to https://smibrake.com/towed-vehicle-b...n-play-duo.php

Research there website.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacuum-Diagram.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	121151  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:21 AM   #4

The Stay N Play is for non air brake vehicles. Air Force One is for use with air brakes. Not sure why the stay n play wouldn't work with a DP. OP, perhaps a call to SMI to confirm this.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #5

As stated by Tom. There is nothing you need to do to the new coach except to ensure the toad batter is getting charged.
I had, and still have, the SMI Duo and moved from a gasser to a DP. There were absolutely nothing I had to do different.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #6

I agree with Selah. I used the Stay n Play on previous two gassers and now use it with my DP. Nothing to do at all except maybe an adapter from a 7 pin electrical to a round 4 pin. Got it at Northern Tool. It would only be an issue if you change toads, then the removal and reinstall is only a couple of hours work. Installed mine myself.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #7

Latrice-

I suggest a call to SMI. While some folks have had no problems running a Duo behind a DP, some have.

The Duo uses two inputs to activate the toad brakes- brake (light) signal from the coach and a pendulum inside the control unit (to sense deceleration). The issue is whether or not the air-brake-equipped coach brake lights activate when the engine/exhaust brake is on (as compared to when you step on the brake pedal). Many folks find the engine/exhaust brake is sufficient to slow them under certain conditions, and in those conditions may not want the toad brakes activating. Brake light activation depends on the way the DP was designed, and may depend on which chassis is used under the coach. The folks at SMI can help you sort that out. While you're speaking with them, ask them whether or not they will take a Duo as a trade-in for an Air Force One unit.

Let us know what you find out, and what you do.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

The Duo unit operates with two signals. One is 12v from the coaches brake lights. the second is an inertia switch inside the towed vehicle. This can be an issue with DPs that illuminate the coaches brake lights when using an exhaust brake. Going down a steep grade will trigger the inertia switch. If you use your exhaust brake to control your speed, the unit will receive both signals and activate while you progress down the grade. That could cause a problem dragging your brakes. This can be overcome by adjusting the G Force Controller to a less sensitive setting. By doing that, you are raising the position of the inertia switch to a more level setting while going down a steep grade.

While this is not a big deal for most, It may be for you. If you traverse mountains on a consistent basis I would think about the conversion that SMI Manufacturing offers.
The Duo to AFO conversion will get you everything needed to convert that system to the proportional Air Force One. This conversion carries an MSRP of $999.97, but may possibly be found online cheaper, at the moment.

Either way you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with the system.
Don't hesitate to contact SMI with any questions, comments or concerns.
They will gladly give you all the information you desire.

Happy trails!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #9

thanks, livefree. SMI does have a trade in rebate program.

The Duo rebate is currently $150 when turned in.
If you shop online and buy a new AFO unit, that lower cost and rebate will be a good good discount on a brand new system.

FYI, they also have rebates for competitors systems to be turned in...
Old 03-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you

Wow, what a nice group of answers. I will contact SMI and see what they say. I did have a charge line from MH to toad so I am familiar with that. I intend to purchase a Newmar Dutch Star and I am embarrassed to admit that I do not know if air brakes are part of the equipment. I do see the concern with using an exhaust brake, inertia, etc. I'll post the results of my conversation with SMI.

Thank you all!
Latrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

I ordered the Stay n Play then I called SMI and talked to them about my install and they said it would work but I would need to turn down the controller to the lowest setting to keep the brakes from coming on the tow when the exhaust brake is on because my lights do come on. I returned it and got the Air Force One and just had installed on Friday along with the base plate and wiring.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrice View Post
I currently have a Class C motorhome and my toad is equipped with the SMI Duo Stay N Play braking system. I did not install the SMI, nor did I watch it being installed. I will soon be upgrading my coach to a Class A Diesel Pusher (Newmar). I will still be using the same toad. I wonder if there are any components of the SMI that I should remove from the Class C to reinstall on the DP or will I need to buy a whole new unit?
We just went from a Gas to diesel and we had Stay N Play on our toad.

It does work with our new coach.

The issue is that air systems takes into account your exhaust braking. You can adjust the sensitivity on your system so that your toad brakes don't activate during exhaust braking.

I have a light that activates when toad brakes engage on my cross bar that is visible in my rear view camera. It is a great help when working through the adjustment.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #13

Tom, just traded my gaser for a Newmar Ventenna LE. Had the stay and play for my 2013 Wrangler unlimited - 4 doors. Would rather try to set the stay and play accelerometer (the black box with the switch) as I do not plan on a lot of mountain driving - over the Appalachians, probably not out west any time soon. Could you give me an approximation of your setting as it would certainly reduce the trail and error time.
johnboy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #14

Tom - realize this post is old, but I find my self in your position. Could you give me an idea of where your adjustment is on the big black box using the front as the frame of reference. For example, 50 percent from the front. This will help me with the trial and error aspects. So many things to change/do when moving to a new coach as it is, I'd like to keep the stay and play if possible. Not a lot of west coast mountains in my future.
johnboy347 is offline   Reply With Quote