Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
SMI Duo with Wireless Signal

Had SMI Duo installed last month and thus far am very satisfied (Alpine 36 FDDS Diesel Pusher -- Subaru Outback Manual 2011 toad w/Blue Ox towbar, traditional 6-pin hitch electrical connector). However, I'd feel more comfortable with supplementing the supplied SMI braking LED indicator that I currently have to see on the front end of my Subaru via my Alpine rear view camera. In bright sunlight, the LED on the front end of the Subaru is not very visible and it is pretty small being viewed via the rear mounted coach camera. Two question categories:
1) Anyone have any problem with the SMI wireless radio braking signal from the toad? If so, were you / SMI able to resolve it and how?
2) Anyone know where to find a spare wire in the front passenger or driver side of my Alpine (2008 year) that already goes to the Alpine rear hitch electrical connector? If so, perhaps I could use the spare wire for hard-wiring the SMI Duo brake signaling on/off up by the coach driver area which would be much more useful (viewable) to ensure the toad brakes are used properly.

I have a traditional coiled wire, 6-pin hitch connector and I believe the six pin connectors are typically hooked up as follows: 3 pins allowing the basic hookup of the three lighting functions (running, turn, and brake), 1 pin (white wire) for the ground and two extra pins to provide two additional functions, typically for electric brakes (blue wire) and 12 volt "hot" lead (center - red or black wire). Currently the center wire on the coach connector (12 volt hot lead) is not being used at all (my coiled wire connector to the toad doesn't use the center pin on the coach). Also, I don't think the electric brake pin on the coach (blue wire) is being used and it too appears to be active. Either of these unused wires if available near the coach driver's or passenger's dash area could be used for the SMI brake signaling directly viewable by the coach driver.

I've just ordered the SMI wireless radio to try it out but would prefer a hard wire back-up in case anything affects the wireless signaling reliability. Thanks for any input. ray
robbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
robbyray,

I have the SMI Dual mounted in my GMC Canyon toad. I didn't want to mount the LED Indicator to the toad due to the same concerns you have.

I installed a 6 pin trailer connector on the back of my MH (originally had a 4 pin) and ran a wire for the LED indicator up to the dash. I mounted the indicator to the top of the steering column of the MH just beneath the dash. When the brakes of the TOAD are in use, the LED Indicator on the MH dash lights up so I know they're functioning properly. I used the brake pin on the trailer connector as I don't plan on towing a normal trailer with my MH.

I also used the 12v pin to run a 'Toad Charger' line for keeping my TOAD's battery charged. This line is switched at the MH dash and is protected by 12v circuit breakers at both ends (MH and TOAD).

Lane
Photo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Many thanks Lane for the feedback. Will try to duplicate your setup. Haven't had time to install the SMI wireless solution yet. Safe travels, ray
robbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We've had the wireless solution installed since 2008. It works fine, the light does flash on and off occasionally when the brakes are not applied but I've trained myself to ignore the flashes.

I'm looking for constant on when I'm not braking as an indication that the brakes are staying on when they shouldn't. I've never had it stay on for more then a second or two when I'm not braking and I've never has the brakes cook, so the light has served it's purpose.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote