Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #1

SMI SmartBox braking control (Stay in Play)

I have a few questions on the install:-

1. Where did you install the operating unit, it being so big.
Can it be installed under the hood like the SMI Stay in Play Duo is?
Can it be installed under the rear seats storage (no air circulation)?

2.I don't have power brakes assisted by vacuum. Instead my power brakes are assisted by power steering (also known as hydroboost). So how does the air hose connections work? Do i just connect a hose between the operating unit and the air cylinder and no other connection?

3. Does anyone have installed pictures of this setup ?

thanks
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have not heard of the SMI auxiliary brake being called a smart box.

I have a SIP Duo which is mounted under the hood. AF1s are also mounted under the hood. I'm not sure which product it is that you are wanting to install.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I have not heard of the SMI auxiliary brake being called a smart box.
Here you go : SMI Models (older)
My model is: Stay in Play Classic
Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #4

We have the Stay N Play Duo installed in our 08 Wrangler. Our control unit is installed in the front passenger forward footwell and unless the co-pilot is very tall, they will never know it's there.

The engine compartment in the Wrangler is 'smoke'n' hot with the V-6, so the control unit located in the pax compartment made more sense. The units vacuum hose is 'T'd just before the brake booster and down stream of the SMI system vacuum check valve and goes through the firewall and is then routed over to the pax footwell.

I had two of the SMI check valves go bad on our extended trip last summer. Both had been contaminate with engine oil mist (dinosaur oil)from the vacuum hose, swelling the rubber diaphram and causing a blockage in both directions. Wherever your engine vacuum source goes to, I would recommend that the SMI check valve been installed on an uphill angle from the engine head vacuum source. I rerouted mine so the check valve is higher and that seems to have fixed that little problem. This failure doesn't effect the braking from the aux. braking system while under tow, but causes extreme foot power to get the toad stopped while driving. In your case, it would be some loss of your power steering.

Since this little snafu, the system works as advertised and we are very happy with the SMI. I wouldn't worry too much about air circulation around the control unit...if it can withstand the heat of an engine compartment, it'll take any heat the pax compartment can dish out! Sorry no pics. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The stay n play is not gonna work on a hydroboost system
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
The stay n play is not gonna work on a hydroboost system
I agree with that assessment.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #7

I exchanged emails with SMI to learn that the SMI Duo and AFO will both work with hydroboost based dead pedal system. They even cited example of some users who are using it in their trucks as a toad. These trucks have hydroboost braking and hence a dead pedal while towing.

I tried breakbuddy and it worked fine but i had to increase the pressure to 85psi before i got some action on the braking pedal. The sensitivity needed to go upto 6 (based on the length of my coach)

I don't know if the compressor in the DUO is strong enough to raise its pressure 85psi or higher. I don't know if the SMI brake system offers all these user controls.