Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo

I am getting ready to set up my toad, and I am planning to use the SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo as my supplemental braking system in my 2008 FJ Cruiser. The installed cost of the system by Southwest Drive Lines of Yuma, AZ is $1,600.00, not a drop-in-the-bucket cost.

Has anyone ever set one of these systems up in a FJ Cruiser? Is the system worth the additional money?
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine was $1500 installed in our CRV 5years ago. In my opinion it is worth every penny.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post

Is the system worth the additional money?
Additional to what ? What else are you comparing it to ?
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #4

Cliff,

I was thinking of braking systems like the Roadmaster Brakemaster, Patriot System and so forth. Is the SMI worth the more money...I am leaning towards the SMI, in fact I have an installation appointment on 2/27/2013, but as I always do, I over research and over-analyze everything. This is all new to me and I have more questions than answers...it is the General Contractor in me...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I'm not familiar with the cost of those others you mentioned. I do know that the SMI is a great system and the company is great to work with. I've towed my HHR for 29,000 miles without any issues.
Cliff

Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

I can testify that the SMI Stay-In-Play has been a good braking system since 2007 in my Honda CRV and then recently in my 4Runner. This system will work with your FJ if you have a standard vacuum power brake. If you have an electric power assist brake, then I suggest that you get the SMI AirForce One.

Regards,

Gaetan
Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I've had a Stay-in Play duo for three years and 35,000 miles.
Damon Tuscany pulling a Ford Explorer. Works great, no
problems, good company. Simple to use and set up. If you
are VERY handy, you may be able to install yourself.
Worth every penny, especially when the stuff hits the fan,
and you have to stand on the brakes !
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put down a deposit on a very slightly used Thor Challenger (Gas engine) today. There is a quick disconnect air chuck beside the tow bar receiver, and I can see a line from it to what looks like a small air compressor mounted on the chassis rail. Is this the coach part of a Stay-in-Play Duo? If so, is this part of the approximately $1100 cost of a complete unit?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I put down a deposit on a very slightly used Thor Challenger (Gas engine) today. There is a quick disconnect air chuck beside the tow bar receiver, and I can see a line from it to what looks like a small air compressor mounted on the chassis rail. Is this the coach part of a Stay-in-Play Duo? If so, is this part of the approximately $1100 cost of a complete unit?
I don't think they require that. Mine doesn't have an air compressor.
Cliff

Old 02-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

I don't think they require that. Mine doesn't have an air compressor.
Cliff
So on a gas engine coach, where is the air pressure generated? Is there something installed in the toad? The SMI website doesn't have a lot of information. It just talks about converting pressure to vacuum by a patent pending method.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Community Administrator

I believe it operates off of a vacuum. The co.has great customer service and there are on line videos that have been posted her.
Cliff

Old 02-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
So on a gas engine coach, where is the air pressure generated? Is there something installed in the toad? The SMI website doesn't have a lot of information. It just talks about converting pressure to vacuum by a patent pending method.
The vacuum pump for the SMI Duo is contained within the unit and runs off the car's electrical system. There is no need for any external connection other than the normal tow setup.

I wonder why that gas coach had an air chuck/compresser installed a the rear. Certainly not need for any of the other braking systems on the market.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

The vacuum pump for the SMI Duo is contained within the unit and runs off the car's electrical system. There is no need for any external connection other than the normal tow setup.

I wonder why that gas coach had an air chuck/compresser installed a the rear. Certainly not need for any of the other braking systems on the market.
Could it be that the previous owner had a toad setup for Air Force 1 and wanted to use it with the gas coach? Would it be feasible to install the compressor in the coach to provide the air pressure?