Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
This is my first post on the IRV2 forum and since I see SMI has a presence here it looks like a good place to clear up some of my lingering questions and maybe a few comments if I think of something. This may be of interest to other current or potential users.

For clarification, I have 40' DP at about 32K GVW and a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport toad. The brakes aren't that necessary for normal driving (in my reasearch of general opinion) but legal and emergency issues make it desireable.

I decided on the SMI for a Jeep Wrangler toad because it seemed like a combination of easiest and most common sense version of a "non foorboard box" style brake system. I didn't want to have to store the box thing everytime I drive off. Depending on frequency of "travel mode" those may or may not be a hassle.

I recently simulated a "break away" situation to see how fast the unit could stop the vehicle. (While I was driving the toad, not pulling it.) It took a few tries to get it to activate at a decent speeed to really test it due to the number of steps required. IE: Put trans in neutral, turn off engine (I don't have a steering wheel locking pawl)flip switch to brake unit, watch for traffic from the rear. After the first few tries I found the event wasn't any tire screaching, out of control deal so on coming traffic wasn't a problem.

The Jeep stopped about as fast from 60 mph as a normal decision to stop without pre coasting or decelerating in advance (I actually began the process at over 65 mph just to get it trying by 60). In other words, not a "yellow light" stop, just a "pull over to swap driver" stop. But in the middle of the road. I also left my hands off the steering wheel to verify it wouldn't pull out into oncoming traffic; a test of my brake job, not the SMI.

The main question I have is: In a normal stop, "hooked up and reacting" to the deceleration of the motor home, does the same, more or less pressure occur on the toad brakes compared to the breakaway function?

I ask this because I have the sensitivity set to only react to "yellow light" braking and it seems no different than not having the brake system. I only (hope) know it is working based on the indicator light(that I had a heck of a time getting to work). That is another story. I can't get my wife to ride in the toad during travel to let me know what is going on. She also won't drive the motorhome. A new wife is'nt an economical solution.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This is my first post on the IRV2 forum and since I see SMI has a presence here it looks like a good place to clear up some of my lingering questions and maybe a few comments if I think of something. This may be of interest to other current or potential users.

For clarification, I have 40' DP at about 32K GVW and a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport toad. The brakes aren't that necessary for normal driving (in my reasearch of general opinion) but legal and emergency issues make it desireable.

I decided on the SMI for a Jeep Wrangler toad because it seemed like a combination of easiest and most common sense version of a "non foorboard box" style brake system. I didn't want to have to store the box thing everytime I drive off. Depending on frequency of "travel mode" those may or may not be a hassle.

I recently simulated a "break away" situation to see how fast the unit could stop the vehicle. (While I was driving the toad, not pulling it.) It took a few tries to get it to activate at a decent speeed to really test it due to the number of steps required. IE: Put trans in neutral, turn off engine (I don't have a steering wheel locking pawl)flip switch to brake unit, watch for traffic from the rear. After the first few tries I found the event wasn't any tire screaching, out of control deal so on coming traffic wasn't a problem.

The Jeep stopped about as fast from 60 mph as a normal decision to stop without pre coasting or decelerating in advance (I actually began the process at over 65 mph just to get it trying by 60). In other words, not a "yellow light" stop, just a "pull over to swap driver" stop. But in the middle of the road. I also left my hands off the steering wheel to verify it wouldn't pull out into oncoming traffic; a test of my brake job, not the SMI.

The main question I have is: In a normal stop, "hooked up and reacting" to the deceleration of the motor home, does the same, more or less pressure occur on the toad brakes compared to the breakaway function?

I ask this because I have the sensitivity set to only react to "yellow light" braking and it seems no different than not having the brake system. I only (hope) know it is working based on the indicator light(that I had a heck of a time getting to work). That is another story. I can't get my wife to ride in the toad during travel to let me know what is going on. She also won't drive the motorhome. A new wife is'nt an economical solution.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Kyp J, welcome to iRV2.

SMI does post on this forum, but you may want to give SMI a call.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Answered via phone... sorry for the delay. Lots of new stuff on the horizon next year for SMI and I am to get everything finished up. Thanks for you support of SMI Manufacturing, Inc.

Brent Schuck
Research and Development
Graphic Design
Demco Manufacturing, Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote