Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #1

SMI? When is end of lifespan for your products?

Just like a propane tank, we are all getting older, SMI has cradle but it does not have grave.

I have no ill will against this company, in fact I am leaning towards buying a brand new "Stay and Play" as I have 6000 pounds to stop.

Since I purchased a used 05/06 = 2005/2006 unit that I can not get parts for. Does that mean that the 05/06 which is going on 12 years old should be retired?

If SMI does not sell service parts for these units, does that mean these units should be retired from service?

Would like a company responce to keep everyone safe.

A trade in, trade up program would be nice.

If I have to spend $1700 with install to buy 50 more feet of stopping power over 6000 lbs, I will do it. That could be the difference between life and well,,,

Passive braking systems that do not power up vacum on the toad are probably good to 3000 lbs. After that LB in weight they have diminishing returns on performance by the pound of added weight pushing a dead pedal.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga SL, On the move to a 2014 Allegro 36LA.Trek pure Trike,electric, 50 mile range, the get everything runner.To do list 10K hitch Remco drive shaft, Blue Ox E450, SMI brakes Pending toad.
trx430ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What part failed?

Mike

Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
What part failed?
Mike
I don't have parts that failed, I have parts that I can not replace from used purchase that are failed.

Stay in Play Classic Model SI0603 SN# SIP0603BHA3273.

1 - Floor anchor
2 - Radio transmitter
3 - Plug in Antenna (A)

Cargo Trailer sales Pa will not install.

Must say that Demco does a much better job of part #'s than SMI in the manual Rev 10/17, TB200051 REV 0. Butttt, No model # for the entire kit on Front page or revision of manual. That would reveal date of manufacture in cross check..

Only 2 ways to deal with legacy, either there is a lot of money to be made at the parts counter. Or the product should be retired with incentive.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga SL, On the move to a 2014 Allegro 36LA.Trek pure Trike,electric, 50 mile range, the get everything runner.To do list 10K hitch Remco drive shaft, Blue Ox E450, SMI brakes Pending toad.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:46 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
I don't have parts that failed, I have parts that I can not replace from used purchase that are failed.
Doesn't make sense at all. If they haven't failed then why do you say they have failed?

So, find someone else to install it or do it yourself.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doesn't make sense at all. If they haven't failed then why do you say they have failed?

So, find someone else to install it or do it yourself.
The Radio Transmitter is literally in pieces, it is destroyed, and I can not buy a replacement.

Would you trust 6000 pounds of toad to that circuit board?

Drive safe,, now I sound like my father, I,m getting old.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't get the nature of this post. You bought an old and broken (obviously through abuse) used SMI unit and now you're not happy that SMI doesn't make parts for it. It sounds like you made a poor purchase of a used unit, thinking you would find replacement parts (didn't check in advance) and now you're bashing SMI. Even though you say you're not basking them, it sure comes across like you are in an underhanded way! By the way, that circuit board looks like any other circuit board used today in small transmitters.

I have parts from three SMI Air Force One units that I bought through the years. My original unit saw major improvements in both function and size since 10 years ago and at one point, I had two toads that both had an SMI unit in them. None of the three ever broke, other than a sticky emergency brake switch that is a separate unit.

Lastly, MOST companies stop carrying replacement parts for older products at some point in time, especially a part that has electronics and evolves year to year. Parts not being available for a 12 years old product certainly doesn't sound unreasonable.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
i was told those transmitters never worked good i was told it was best to run a line from toads brake switch up to a light on dash
Old 12-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #8

Correct... SMI transmitters are a POS; got a Stay-n-play Duo & not happy with it either; the cable from the actuator to the brake pedal is WEAK & not field serviceable; need to send in ENTIRE actuator to SMI for repairs and they are NOT nice to deal with...
Old 12-09-2017, 10:15 PM   #9

SMI? When is end of lifespan for your products?

Stopping 6K lbs with a Class C Tioga? Have you upgraded but not updated your profile?
My BrakeBuddy has been perfect for 18 years.
What did SMI say when you asked about product life?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #10

SMI sold to Demco

SMI is now part of Demco. Called SMI yesterday, they are no longer taking calls about product, referred me to Demco. Any questions about product or parts now go directly to:
Demco-products.com
*(800) 543-3626‬
Old 12-10-2017, 01:15 AM   #11

Quote:

Stay in Play Classic Model SI0603 SN# SIP0603BHA3273.

1 - Floor anchor
2 - Radio transmitter
3 - Plug in Antenna (A)

Cargo Trailer sales Pa will not install.

Must say that Demco does a much better job of part #'s than SMI in the manual Rev 10/17, TB200051 REV 0. Butttt, No model # for the entire kit on Front page or revision of manual. That would reveal date of manufacture in cross check..

Only 2 ways to deal with legacy, either there is a lot of money to be made at the parts counter. Or the product should be retired with incentive.
Demco now owns SMI! Call Demco.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Stopping 6K lbs with a Class C Tioga? Have you upgraded but not updated your profile?
My BrakeBuddy has been perfect for 18 years.
What did SMI say when you asked about product life?
I have to say first, Demco, Killing off the SMI.com addy was a really dumb thing to do. All that traffic just chopped off at the knees. You put a redirect script on the SMI domain to Demco, by department. At one time I had 16 domains redirected to one site.That should have been part of the sales agreement, just,,,uhhh.

-------ok past all those manual links lost.
CampDaven, I need an active system because of the weight. The situation has be very fairly resolved by the seller, it is being returned. Will be going new unit/new install.
Driveshaft disconnect was installed today,inspected, new Interstate batteries, toad rack was completed last Friday.

Next shop drop off in a week with Cargo trailer sales for the brakes, 5 matching pin lock sets. Then just put a washer under the roadmaster pins and tac weld locked.

And this toad will be done.My biggest fear is forgetting a step in the toad sequence.

Not a word from SMI I mean Demco on lifespan.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #13

Old 12-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #14

Wow!

Quote:

You have a numbers problem with your coach and toad.

Your Class C coach has a GVWR of 14050 lbs
It has a 5,000 lb hitch rating.
It has a GCWR of 19,050 lbs.

So far so good.

Now, your Ford Econoline has a GVWR of 8500 lbs. You state you have 6000 lbs to stop.

What's wrong with this picture?

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remco disconnect, remco driveshaft, roadmaster baseplate