Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #1

So I'm Setting Up My Toad...

So I am setting up my 2017 Ford F-350 4x4 as a toad and for the most part things have gone well until I finished the wiring portion. I used a Blue Ox BX8848 4-diode kit and mated that up with a Blue Ox BX88206 coiled cable and 6 PIN connector. Followed the directions to the letter and thought I would use my wife's Yukon Denali to test. Used a 7-way tester to make sure her connector was live as this is the first time it was used and it was fine. Plug it up to my F-350 and nothing works - signals, brakes or running lights. Worried about a bad ground but threw my meter on the ground pin in the 6-pin connector and it tests fine. Truck by itself works fine too - brakes, signals and running lights. Any ideas? I stumped...
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #2

I just went through a very similar problem while setting up our new (to us) jeep as a toad. It was a ground issue. I had ground at the back of the tow vehicle, verified ground at the connector on both the tow vehicle and verified that it was coming across. However, the ground wire leaving the plug on the toad was not making ground on the toad chassis. I had grounded it to the bumper, but the bumper was not a good ground. So the harness would test, but the lights still would not work.

I had no good primary wire (long story) and had to leave for a trip, so I ended up cutting down an extension cord and running it from the toad plug ground to the battery (-) so I had a rock solid ground.

You sound a bit more technically savvy than me, so your issue is probably more involved. Just thought I'd share. Ground is the culprit on so many DC issues.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #3

Petrel - I have a feeling you are going to be 100% correct about the issue. I'm going to test this morning by doing exactly what you did and grounding to the battery terminal. I have a suspicion that will do it. Thanks for the feedback and I'll post what I find.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #4

I have solved my issue and the lights all work as they should now (turn signals, brake and running lights). Turns out it was not a ground wire issue. I used a Hopkins 6-Pin connector kit for the toad connection. It came with a printed wiring schematic that I used for the initial wire connections. The problem was the schematic was wrong. It had wire connections out of sequence. I pulled the connector and went by the connection ID's stamped next to each terminal. After doing that I tested it and all works as it should. Good lesson for me to learn - all that's written isn't necessarily accurate....
Old 06-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

Glad you sorted out! Hope my suggestion didn't lead you on a wild goose chase for too long.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #6

Not at all. As a secondary precaution I added another grounding point towards the front of the vehicle located on the frame. The rear ground point was a self tapping screw into the truck bed. While sufficient I suppose, I fell better having a solid grounding point. I have chased poor grounds in the past and that ain't no fun! Thanks again for your help!

Tags
toad