Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So, who tows a boat with the MH

My wife and I are toying with the idea of one of those SeaDoo jet boats. Since we live on the coast, it seems a perfect fit.

Problem is, the situation dictates occasionally towing it with our 30 ft MH, and also sometimes we would need to use the MH to lauch it.

I did a search on this forum for "boat" and after seeing the thread with the picture of the MH half submerged in the water we are having second thoughts. I've also noticed you don't see a lot of boats being pulled by motorhomes, and I figure there are good reasons for that.

I know with a four down car as a toad, backing up is taboo. Just looking for advise from those of you who have experience with this. How is it backing up with a boat behind a MH? Did you just get the boat to the marina and pay someone to launch it? How about a hitch on the front of the MH?

Any and all input welcome and appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Used to have a personal watercraft on small trailer and towed it behind my 30' Winnebago only once. Launched at a public ramp and the experience was enough to convince me not to do it again. Crowded conditions, heavy traffic, steep ramps and lack of visibility all contributed to a dicey event, with the added problem of finding a parking space long enough for the MH and trailer when I was done.

Others may have had a better experience, but I will stick to strictly towing my Toad !

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
Used to have a personal watercraft on small trailer and towed it behind my 30' Winnebago only once. Launched at a public ramp and the experience was enough to convince me not to do it again. Crowded conditions, heavy traffic, steep ramps and lack of visibility all contributed to a dicey event, with the added problem of finding a parking space long enough for the MH and trailer when I was done.

Others may have had a better experience, but I will stick to strictly towing my Toad !
Well while that might not have been exactly the answer I was looking for, it is exactly the kind of very useful response that will help us quite a bit, I do thank you.

I figure any guy that has enough guts to put his wife's model year in his sig...well lets just say when he considers launching a boat with a MH dicey, I'm probably gonna listen to him.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
I figure any guy that has enough guts to put his wife's model year in his sig...well lets just say when he considers launching a boat with a MH dicey, I'm probably gonna listen to him.

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That was good!!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If DW read these forums, you can bet the guts would turn to jelly !
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Well I only towed my 16' pontoon boat behind the 34' MH once so far and that was to a NoEaster Rally! I towed it from NJ to CT, and had no problems! It handled well, and I would do it again if the need is there! However I had it worked out that when I got to the campground a friend with a truck lunched it and pulled it out, I did not use the MH !!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #8

We have a 34 foot Dolphin towing a 18.5 foot boat.Have never had any problem towing ,backing or launching.When backing on the launch ramps,just give yourself plenty of room,use your backup camera and have someone else walk behind.If you can back a trailer you can do this.You can also put a 12 inch extension on your rv so you limit the amount of rv in the water. Good luck Ken
Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I towed my 20ft walkaround several times with my 28ft gasser. That includes a trip to Vancouver Island on the ferry. I never had any problems launching it or otherwise. We sold that one and tow our 16ft driftboat with this coach. I can not think of any reason not to tow a boat with a motorhome other than it means we leave the motorcycle home.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #10

We tow a 21ft ski boat with our 34ft Winn. Brave. It goes down the road fine. Easier to tow than a toad. You can back up and/or make sharper turns than with a toad.

When it comes to launching that can be a matter altogether. This really depends on the launch facility. We lauch from behind the RV often but at some ramps I will disconect and use another vehicle to launch if room to turn and line up is an issue. A backup camera is a huge help in launching. It also helps to come at the ramp from a small angle tothe left of the ramp. This helps keep the boat visible in the mirror on the driver side. With this said the shorter the trailer the harder it is to launch from behind the rig.

Have fun.

Seattle Skier.

2003 Brave 34D
Seattle Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #11

We just bought our '88 Winnebago 27 foot class A *specifically* to pull our 12 foot aluminum fishing boat - to stop having to use the pickup to tow the 5er, and then also have to take wife's car to tow the boat. And before some pop in here with other alternative solutions, let me say, I'm 73 years old, and TOO old for some of the overhead racks and folding boats some use - and the wrestling matches to get all that stuff rigged, the 10 HP outboard installed, and ready to launch and fish!

Common sense has to be used with launching with a MH - and generally, if the pickup couldn't handle the job easily, DON'T try it with ANY MH - our setup works fine, is only slightly more difficult to back with good visibility than with the pickup. Just be SURE your emergency brake will hold properly on the ramp - and ALWAYS set the emergenccy brake FIRST - then put tranny in park - otherwise, if the MH rolls back slightly, the park tab in the tranny might get jammed, and then the ONLY way to release it, is to get towed slightly forward to release it.

In addition to the rest, I have a 12 volt remote controlled winch on the front of my boat trailer - there's a battery in the front of the boat to run my trolling motor when I have it along - and can leave the MH up the ramp 20 feet or so from the water's edge, and just use the winch to back the boat and trailer into the water - works well where the local lakes are low at end of season, and we have to get the boat trailer farther into the water to float the boat off...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I tow an 18.5 Seaswirl runabout behind my 34 ft Newmar quite often with no problems.

I have a had a class II receiver installed on the front of our motorhome to use when launching the boat. Makes launching a dream, have not been to a ramp that I cannot, or will not negotiate. This is the third MH that I have used to tow a boat, would not be without the front receiver had it installed on the other 2 also. If you desire pictures of the installation let me know and I will provide.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
I agreee with the front Ball. Makes it soooo easy to launch your boat.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
We have a 30 foot Winnebago and tow our 16 foot enclosed race car trailer with out Lotus racing car + tool boxes inside. It tows like a dream and acts like the trailer isn't even there.....

Folis Jones
Suffolk, VA