Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sold my Acme EZE Tow

Nothing against the equipment, trouble free service for 3 years and over 12,000 miles. I fell into a logistics problem with my current motor-home. The layout of my covered rental storage was causing me to move the dolly just about anytime I wanted to do something to the MH. I also was not able to load and hook up the night before trips, due to the length of my driveway.

I'm going to install a Blue Ox base plate (on it's way now) on the KIA Soul and use the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the surge brake. I really like the surge brakes, worked flawlessly on the ACME as well as on boat trailers in my earlier years.

I have supported the ACME unit on here for cost, quality, and simplicity and I still do, just have different needs and circumstances now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #2

I can't hook up in the driveway either, but found my front lawn supports the coach and I can hook up the car before we leave. Of course I wouldn't attempt this if we had a lot of rain.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

Why the guilt? After all, it's a thing, not your wife.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Why the guilt? After all, it's a thing, not your wife.
No guilt.

I have promoted the ACME on several occasions. Consider it only fair to explain to anyone who may wonder why I jumped ship.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got the Blue OX / Ready Brute Elite installed

Both of my sons were in Florida for an early Holiday Vacation so we jumped on this project. The Vehicle is a 2013 KIA Soul Basic, 6 speed manual. The Base Plate is a Blue Ox BX2715 and the Tow Bar is NSA Ready Brute Elite. None of us had performed this type installation before so we took it slow, and made sure we understood and agreed with the instructions. By doing so we avoided some time consuming and unneeded metal removal. The job ended up super clean and no modifications noticeable on the car other than the safety cable attachment points showing slightly through the lower grill opening. Very happy with the outcome. Pulled it around the neighborhood behind my Ram, turned fine, stopped good, Happy Camper!!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Both of my sons were in Florida for an early Holiday Vacation so we jumped on this project. The Vehicle is a 2013 KIA Soul Basic, 6 speed manual. The Base Plate is a Blue Ox BX2715 and the Tow Bar is NSA Ready Brute Elite. None of us had performed this type installation before so we took it slow, and made sure we understood and agreed with the instructions. By doing so we avoided some time consuming and unneeded metal removal. The job ended up super clean and no modifications noticeable on the car other than the safety cable attachment points showing slightly through the lower grill opening. Very happy with the outcome. Pulled it around the neighborhood behind my Ram, turned fine, stopped good, Happy Camper!!
Just a follow up, could not be happier with the appearance. towed it behind the MH made a lot of turns all good. Bought the NSA breakaway kit was going to use double safety chain set up, decided to do it right.

Click pic for close-up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	116754  
Old 01-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

No apologies needed. I just bought my CRV with the intent of going 4-down and selling my EZ Tow. But after considering it more I've decided to stick with the dolly. It's super easy to use (I've yet to crawl in the mud to set up), stores standing up in my garage and has been very reliable. Besides, most of our trips are 100 miles or less and generally my wife meets me at the site with the car. So we probably only tow 4 or 5 times a year. If we were full time travelers it would probably be a different story.

Good luck with your new set up. Looks very well done.

Tags
tow