Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #15

I was looking at the TDI also, for the same reasons. I did look at the owners manual and there was nothing there that said you could not tow on a dolly. You can not tow 4 down, even with a manual transmission but I have a dolly so did not matter. I ended up keeping my current car for another year so may end up with a TDI Golf in a couple of years. Better buy this year if you want the tax write off though.

Take care,

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go for a Chevy Maibu (new) I'm told that all you do is pull a fuse or "Switch" a fuse (will describe) and you can tow it 4-down, to heck with the dolly.

The "Switch"

Get an in-line fuse holder same type as the car uses. some wire and a switch

Tab connector-----Fuse----Switch---------- Tab connector

You pull the fuse and push the tab's into the slots.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #17

Just check with Remco
They have all the info on what can/can not be towed

Application Charts | Remco Towing
Old 10-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #18

Here's what Remco said on the website for the VW .... "Vehicle cannot be flat towed. Front wheel drives require a dolly, check owners manual and dolly distributor to confirm a dolly is usable for vehicle." So makes it sound like there still might be a question on even towing with a dolly? For the Corolla automatic ... it says can tow on a dolly or they make a kit to flat tow.

Dan ... what tax break is there on a TDI in 2010?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprochaz View Post
There's tax relief for the original buyer of a diesel powered car tax. I've taken advanatge of this twice over the past many years.

I still think VW is being overly restrictive on flat towing a FWD manual transmission car. I may check more into this as I really like our VW Sportswagon and don't really want to use a dolly.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Gripper -- other than the obvious advantage of not having to take the car off the dolly, what are the other advantages of towing 4 down. And assume the Vue is a4-wheel drive that you can switch into neutral? Aren't the wheels still turning gears/transfer cases when 4 down meaning more friction? Just curious.
My Vue is automatic and all I have to do is shift it to neutral, turn the key to "Accessories" and pull a fuse. The reason for pulling a fuse, is to turn the dash electrics (including the spedo) off, else the battery dies. Other reasons for towing 4 down are:

1. It greatly eases the work, as opposed to a dolly. Once, I got into a position that required me to back up and turn around. With a dolly, you have to take the car off first, then unhitch the dolly, turn everything around to the opposite direction and then hook up the dolly, load the car......whew...tires me out, just writing about it! I know, I know, you can't back up while towing 4 down either. But it's just a lot easier to unhook the toad and turn it, plus the MH around and re-hook the toad.
2. You never have to try to drag the dolly around, out of the way, at a campsite. I had a couple of managers require that I move the dolly, to their parking area.
3. Also ease of mind, as you are required to frequently tighten the straps on the dolly or they might fall off. I had two (but not on the same trip) straps loosen and fall off. Scared me, to think what might have happened.
4. Never had a problem with friction on the gears, etc. To me, 4 down, is the only way to go.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Strange. The DW and I went shopping for a new small vehicle to tow on a dolly behind the MH. Looked at the VW Jetta and the Toyota Corolla. Both dealers said their cars can't be towed even on a dolly! Must be 4 off the ground. Both these vehicles are front wheel drive so wondering why they are not towable on a dolly? Could it be because the front framework is too light and perhaps puts them under different stress than when you are driving the car?? Just didn't make sense. Can someone tell me why or if they are towing on a dolly either of these vehicles? Thanks .. Tom
i use a stehl tow dolly to tow my 02 nissan altima. it is necessary for me to put a long 2x6 under each dolly ramp when loading and unloading the car to keep from damaging the front cowling/spoiler. i use 2 unequal length 2x6's so that the car runs up on them easier without pushing them away.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #22
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
The corolla can be towed 4 down if it is a standard transmission. There is no pump available for the automatic. We have towed our 2006 for over 25,000K without any problems.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #23

As I was reviewing the owners manual for our 2010 Chev Cobalt prior to getting the base plate installed tomorrow for flat towing I noticed that flat towing is okay but they advise against dolly towing. Apparently rear clearance is an issue. This could also be an issue for the Corolla and VW as they are similar sized cars.

Don
don8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:00 AM   #24

I tow a Mazda 3 on a dolly and the clearence issue is in the front, not the rear. I also use 2x10's about 3' long that I place on top of the ramps and onto the ground. Makes the slope of the ramp less so it does not bump the bottom of my front bumper. Never had any other trouble. I would rather tow 4 down probably in the future but have gotten pretty good at hooking up the dolly and can get ready or take it off in less than 15 minutes. Gets my hands dirty, but that is why we have sinks in our RV's. I just could not justify the expense of a car that could tow 4 down, plus the base plates, the tow bar and the brake buddy. When I get to the point of a new car, I may go that route, especially if I am full time RV'ing. But have had not problems with the set up I have now.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Here's what Remco said on the website for the VW .... "Vehicle cannot be flat towed. Front wheel drives require a dolly, check owners manual and dolly distributor to confirm a dolly is usable for vehicle." So makes it sound like there still might be a question on even towing with a dolly? For the Corolla automatic ... it says can tow on a dolly or they make a kit to flat tow.

In reading what you said they said I will comment on "The question" you fear.

I would guess that some dollies may have too steep a ramp for the car in question and or may have too high a "platform" thus causing damage to the front (or rear) of the car if it's dolly towed.

Other dollies are lower/not as steep, and thus no problem.

Page 2: I mentioned in a prior post CYA.. yes, even Remco does it.. Unless THEY make the dolly (I do not think they do) They are telling you to check with the manufacturer because they do not wish to be the ones to take responsibility for another company's product.. Actually, a good plan. That way you can not blame RemcoTowing.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #26

Quote:

This paragraph applies only if you don't want a manual trans. There are a lot of manual VW's being flat towed.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #27

That's all the DW wants is an automatic ... should have specified that Remco statement applied to automatics. A lot of interesting discussion on this subject. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #28

VW Flat Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDan View Post
This paragraph applies only if you don't want a manual trans. There are a lot of manual VW's being flat towed.
I can't understand why the VW Jetta can't be flat towed with a manual transmission. I asked VW and they simply restated what's in the owner's manual. The manual does not make any towing distinctions between auto and manual transmissions. What's weird is that Blue Ox sells a base plate for a car that you're not suppose to tow. My opinion is that VW just doesn't want to accept any liability. Here's what they said:
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen. We appreciate your interest in the towing specifications on the Jetta SportWagen models.

The drivetrain and transmission components on front-wheel-drive Volkswagen vehicles, including the Jetta SportWagen TDI, are not designed for long-distance towing with all four wheels on the road surface. Towing in this fashion farther than 30 miles or faster than 30 mph can cause damage to these components and invalidate any available warranty coverage.

For long-distance towing, these vehicles should be towed with the drive wheels mounted on a towing dolly or on a flatbed trailer with all four wheels off of the road surface.

If you have additional questions regarding towing of the Jetta SportWagen, please contact your local authorized Volkswagen dealer and speak with the Service Manager or a Service Advisor. Feel free to phone the Volkswagen Information Center at 1-800-DRIVE-VW (1-800-374-8389) for the location of a dealer near you.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corolla, dolly, front wheel drive, jetta