Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Some side to side toad movement

I have a '99 Suzuki Vitara with a blue ox base plate and blue ox alladin tow bar. I bought the suzuki for this purpose and did the baseplate install myself. When towing straight on a flat road, everything looks fine. When in mountainous conditions (curves, up and down) I can see some side to side motion in the toad as I look at it in my rear camera. The key is in the on position and steering wheel free to move per owners manual. I'm wondering if this is normal, or do I need an alignment or something on the toad? Thoughts?
Thanks
Bill

BTW, I always confirm the tow bars are locked in the extended position before I hit the highway.
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #2

By the way the toad is attached to the coach , the overhang and swing of the rear bumper/hitch, of the coach, will push the toad to the outside of the corner , before it starts to pull the toad around the corner. So some movement is normal, if you're not getting any unusual tire wear on the toad , I'm sure you don't have a problem.
BUT; If you're concerned, maybe a re-torque of the baseplate mount bolts is in order.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
By the way the toad is attached to the coach , the overhang and swing of the rear bumper/hitch, of the coach, will push the toad to the outside of the corner , before it starts to pull the toad around the corner. So some movement is normal, if you're not getting any unusual tire wear on the toad , I'm sure you don't have a problem.
BUT; If you're concerned, maybe a re-torque of the baseplate mount bolts is in order.
Thanks Skip. It was a recent install on the baseplate but I always eyeball the bolts and check that the plate is rigid in place. I'll watch for uneven tire wear. Thanks
Bill
Old 05-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #4

I agree with Skip, from personal experience with a long rear overhang on our MH and a heavy toad, the toad will go in the opposite direction of the MH, before it starts to follow. In our case, the MH is relatively light and the toad is heavy, it actually causes a fair amount of oversteer in the MH that causes some handling issues.

I would think as long as there are no loud noises coming from the tow bar and all the bolts are tight, and you don't feel anything unusual, its fine.

Another thing maybe that between the normal movement of the motorhome and normal movement of the toad, the view you are seeing through the camera is being exaggerated, making it look more than it really is.
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percival6 View Post
I agree with Skip, from personal experience with a long rear overhang on our MH and a heavy toad, the toad will go in the opposite direction of the MH, before it starts to follow. In our case, the MH is relatively light and the toad is heavy, it actually causes a fair amount of oversteer in the MH that causes some handling issues.

I would think as long as there are no loud noises coming from the tow bar and all the bolts are tight, and you don't feel anything unusual, its fine.

Another thing maybe that between the normal movement of the motorhome and normal movement of the toad, the view you are seeing through the camera is being exaggerated, making it look more than it really is.
Good info, thanks Percival. See ya going down Hwy 80!
Bill
Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
billinwoodla,
sounds like you need a ''hitch immobilizer''.
I like the roadmaster unit the best.
a track bar on the rear axle made a big difference on my Moho.
the hitch immobilizer is inexpensive, I suggest you try it first.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
I have a '99 Suzuki Vitara with a blue ox base plate and blue ox alladin tow bar. I bought the suzuki for this purpose and did the baseplate install myself. When towing straight on a flat road, everything looks fine. When in mountainous conditions (curves, up and down) I can see some side to side motion in the toad as I look at it in my rear camera. The key is in the on position and steering wheel free to move per owners manual. I'm wondering if this is normal, or do I need an alignment or something on the toad? Thoughts?
Thanks
Bill

BTW, I always confirm the tow bars are locked in the extended position before I hit the highway.
I had the same problem a couple years ago, ordered a rebuild kit from e-trailer, rebuilt the tow bar. The tow bar was in bad need of a rebuild and the slop allowed the TOAD to wander from side to side. Also check the side to side slop in your receiver mount, if excessive, it will add to the side to side movement of the TOAD also. I did a little welding on the tow bar mount to make it fit tight when in the receiver. No more TOAD wondering. Hope this helps......
Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

If you drive the toad, does it pull left or right? If not, your alignment is good. Yeah, I use this... keeps things tight back there.

Blue Ox Hitch Receiver Immobilizer II - 2" Hitches Blue Ox Hitch Accessories BX88224

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #9

The toad drives fine. I'll check out that hitch stabilizer.
Thanks
Bill
Old 05-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NSA also makes a De-rattler which removes the side to side movement. I use this.
De-Rattler - NSA RV Products
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
NSA also makes a De-rattler which removes the side to side movement. I use this.
De-Rattler - NSA RV Products
Since I have the ready brake, this looks like the best option for me.
Thanks
Bill

Tags
toad