Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #1

SPECIFIC! Anyone flat towing a 2019 Jeep with FACTORY installed harness?

Too many threads with TOO many year models and solutions.

I am going to purchase a Jeep Wrangler or Trailhawk.

Does anyone out there have a 2019 Traihawk or Wrangler that came WITH the installed wiring for the flat towing capability?
Any issues or "things" to watch out for? I know the sales codes to look for (514 or DK4). Just wondering if that handles brake lights etc. having seen questions on other related but NOT SPECIFIC threads on this issue.
Thanks in advance for some year/model specific info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm... A trailhawk is not a model a Wrangler is. And in 2019 you can get Trailhawk version of a Chreokee, Grand Cherokee, Compass, and Renegade, but Not a Wrangler.

Exactly where did you find information about a factory flat tow wiring?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Unless it's a new option for 2019, Wranglers don't come from the factory with a flat tow harness. A towing wire harness to pull a trailer is optional, but not a harness for flat towing. They do make a Mopar factory harness that you can install for flat towing.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am pulling a 2019 Wrangler Sahara. I haven't seen any option for a flat tow wiring harness
Old 05-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #5

And there you have it. I have actually read posts on THIS site with copies of letters from FCA stating the sales c odes for the installed feature that will ELIMINATE the need for accessory harnesses for the purpose of flat towing. Perhaps one more point of clarification...This would be for AUTOMATIC transmissions rather than standard "clutch" 4 speeds.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #6

I had a 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk that I towed 4 down. I had the Mopar harness installed which powered the steering since it was electric. One cell went down on the battery so I jumped, trickle charged and used a power pack to start it. But the computer or something reset and it would not go into drive. Mopar called three tow companies to take it to dealer. The third tow company found a button under the transmission shifter boot that over road the computer. So it got towed and then the dealer called me the next day and blamed it on my third party install to tow. Two days later they called and said it was fixed. They would not initially tell me what caused the issue but upon pressing them they said another toggle was tripped beneath the boot.

Also, the list of tasks to tow a Cherokee Trailhawk is long. Needless to say we bought a Wrangler 3 weeks ago because it is so simple in comparison to Cherokee Trailhawk to tow. Tomorrow we tow the Wrangler for the first time.
Jeff24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Commercial Member

There *may* be some confusion of the history of events here and since I have followed the new “JL” Wrangler from a “toad” perspective from virtually its inception, perhaps I can try to shed some light on the topic and hopefully clear up any ambiguities. Full disclosure: The reason that I followed the Wrangler JL development was because our intention was to offer a toad wiring harness solution for the new JL just as we have for years for the previous 2007-2018 “JK” wrangler under our Cool Tech brand.

Many here know that prior to the new Wrangler’s public availability, people began experiencing towing problems with Jeep Cherokee (and subsequently the Grand Cherokee). The root of these problems were found to be due to the change from a long history of hydraulic power steering systems, to electric power steering – in the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee models. (In a nutshell, the electric power steering vehicles do not provide sufficient damping/resistance when the car is “off”, and that certain slow speed turns can cause a violent oscillation to initiate.) Owners of these Cherokee and Grand Cherokee electric-power-steering vehicles were understandably very upset and looked to Jeep for a remedy. That remedy was the eventual release of a specific harness that powers the electric steering when the vehicle is being towed. With the steering system powered, the violent “death wobble” does not occur.

OK, but the confusion started when people began SPECULATING about the soon-to-be-released Jeep Wrangler JL model. This was going to be the first Wrangler model with “electro-hydraulic power steering”. Some of us knew all along that this was NOT the electric power steering in the Cherokees and Grand Cherokee models. In the Wrangler, the steering was STILL HYDRAULIC. What was new/different is that instead of a belt-driven pump, the Wrangler would utilize an electric motor to power the hydraulic system. (Unlike a belt-driven system, Jeep could vary the output of an electric motor – theoretically making a small contribution to improved fuel economy.)

The MIS-information on this forum – and predominately started and repeated by one member here, was that the new Wrangler was going to come from the factory with the same/similar towed harness (for the steering) – so unlike the Cherokee this harness would not have to be dealer/owner installed. Of course, all of this story was complete fabrication – as the Wrangler… with its continued utilization of HYDRAULIC steering, would NEVER need such a harness.

With all of that said… the Wrangler DOES need a harness to operate its lights while being towed. Currently, there are 3 solutions out there for customers to consider. First, the generic diode-based kits WILL work on the Wrangler (all trim levels) and with or without LED lights. The LED optioned Wranglers run the SAME 12v wiring to the rear sockets – so don’t let anyone tell you different. These generic kits will work. In addition to the generic kits, both MOPAR and COOL TECH (us) offer “kits” that are custom designed specifically for the JL Wrangler and will operate the running lights, brake lights and turn signals.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
Too many threads with TOO many year models and solutions.

I am going to purchase a Jeep Wrangler or Trailhawk.

Does anyone out there have a 2019 Traihawk or Wrangler that came WITH the installed wiring for the flat towing capability?
Any issues or "things" to watch out for? I know the sales codes to look for (514 or DK4). Just wondering if that handles brake lights etc. having seen questions on other related but NOT SPECIFIC threads on this issue.
Thanks in advance for some year/model specific info.
This thread has a lot of what you are asking...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/buyin...-427424-6.html

I'm wondering myself since I own a 2019 Cherokee Limited.

I'm really interested in if there is a specific test or where can you look to see this magical harness connected.

One of the posters in the above link, actually has a few miles on a 2019 Cherokee and has no issues. I guess that's brute force testing.

The Roadmaster E5 baseplate, Nighthawk tow bar, SMI braking system and all the wiring stuff came yesterday, it's going to be a busy weekend working on the Jeep.

BTW, where are the sales codes found, one more thing to confirm?

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #9

Not sure where exactly those codes are located. On my RAM there is a "list" attached to the underside of the hood that has all the items installed on the truck by code and definition. I have not looked at a Cherokee to see if Jeep does something like that. Kind of like the fender tags on the older Mopars identified the features on that era of cars. I imagine you could contact Jeep Customer service and with your vin# they could tell you for sure.

I just remember reading this feature has a "button" somewhere near the shift lever you can push that takes care of whatever needs to be done electronically so you can flat tow.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
Not sure where exactly those codes are located. On my RAM there is a "list" attached to the underside of the hood that has all the items installed on the truck by code and definition. I have not looked at a Cherokee to see if Jeep does something like that. Kind of like the fender tags on the older Mopars identified the features on that era of cars. I imagine you could contact Jeep Customer service and with your vin# they could tell you for sure.

I just remember reading this feature has a "button" somewhere near the shift lever you can push that takes care of whatever needs to be done electronically so you can flat tow.
The 'button' is a clue, its part of the Active Drive II drive train...this is the ONLY drive train on Cherokee's that is flat towable (more than once ). There is an Active Drive II badge as well.

The ADII setup Limited's are hard to find, I got lucky, and found one with exactly the right options. I think most if not all Trailhawks are ADII equipped.

Yeah, my pickup (Chevy) had a sticker in the glove box with dozens of 3 digit codes indicating all the specs and options, haven't found it on the Jeep yet...gotta be somewhere. I did the vin lookup and got the build sheet, but didn't tell me anything that wasn't on the window sticker.

Ron
Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #11
Commercial Member

I think that owners can count on the fact that this "activate the electric power steering via a switch for towing" feature will NEVER be factory installed. The percentage of vehicles that may be towed is simply WAY to small for Jeep to even consider this idea.

Now, has Jeep been able to make some running program changes that eliminate/mitigate the occurrence of the "death wobble" - maybe.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
We have a 2019 Cherokee Overland that we just towed flat for over 3K miles without any problem. You do not need any Mopar accessory wiring. Ours was fine right from the factory. We did have a supplemental brake system installed "SMI Stay-n-Play" and we did have a battery charger installed to offset the draw of the brake system when being towed. It is a breeze to hook up and un-hook. You hardly know the car is back there.
Home:760-519-7014, email: guess@tpguess.com
Tpguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpguess View Post
We have a 2019 Cherokee Overland that we just towed flat for over 3K miles without any problem. You do not need any Mopar accessory wiring. Ours was fine right from the factory. We did have a supplemental brake system installed "SMI Stay-n-Play" and we did have a battery charger installed to offset the draw of the brake system when being towed. It is a breeze to hook up and un-hook. You hardly know the car is back there.
Nice...good to hear.

I'll be installing the Roadmaster EZ5, SMI Stay-n-play and the wiring this weekend in a 2019 Cherokee Limited. Can't wait to hit the road in the coming weeks.

Ron.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
Nice...good to hear.

I'll be installing the Roadmaster EZ5, SMI Stay-n-play and the wiring this weekend in a 2019 Cherokee Limited. Can't wait to hit the road in the coming weeks.

Ron.

A bit of good news (for me at least, hopefully others). You can go to this site
https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/knowledge and enter into a chat with a tech. Ask them for your 'sales codes', they will need your vin and the address where the vehicle is registered.

They will copy the codes into the chat, cut/paste them to a document on you computer...

That confirmed the two codes that need to be present on my Jeep are there.

Just a bit more peace of mind that the rv tow harness is not needed on my Jeep.

Then there is this post (different forum), where he outlines a test...in post #2 and tons of other discussions.

Search for 2019 Active Drive II Flat Tow, on Jeep Cherokee Club website (I don't know if cross posting links to other forums is allowed...so just google it).

ron

Tags
install, led, tow, towing