Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #29

Removed, not worth it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #30
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, lets stop the personal comments and stay on topic.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #31

Just as a final follow-up, for posterity, to this thread I am making this post. We ended up buying the Car Kaddy SS - just used it on a ~ 3,000 mile trip to Glacier towing a Mini Cooper. Over the continental divide several times, plus many other steep grades and passes. It performed flawlessly: tracked smoothly and exactly behind the MH, allowed us to make the tightest U-turns the MH would handle without binding or jack-knifing, folded up in the campsite using much less space than otherwise, and did NOT brake unexpectedly going down steep grades. Perhaps this is due to the lighness of the towed car ... but at lease based on this experience, I would definitely recommend the SS to anyone considering getting one.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
I've really enjoyed my Kar Kaddy SS but those Chinese tires are a buzz kill. I've never had a single problem with the caddy. It maneuvers so well that if the camp ground let's me I drive right to my spot before disconnecting. BUT, I've had two blow-out's. Both were on hot days and my speed was 65 or below (prefer 62 but try to stay only 5 below prevailing traffic). My tow is 3800 lbs & I always check tire pressure prior to departing. My caddy came with Goodyear Marathon's. I had my 1st blowout when they were 3 yrs-old and that took out the whole fender. So, I replaced both the tires with new Marathon's. I had my 2nd blowout two weeks ago on the year-old tire and again it took out the fender. Needless to say I travel with a spare now. I purchased the replacement tire from a Good Year dealer in Clinton NC (mid trip) and he said those Marathon tires were terrible and won't sell them so he sold me a Road Rider ST (again made in China). So now I have a Carlisle (was the spare I bought from Demco) and Road Rider on the dolly and a Marathon for a spare, all China. I have zero confidence in any of them. It's a shame that a well-made caddy has to wear such poor shoes.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #33
TGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy
I've really enjoyed my Kar Kaddy SS but those Chinese tires are a buzz kill. I've never had a single problem with the caddy. It maneuvers so well that if the camp ground let's me I drive right to my spot before disconnecting. BUT, I've had two blow-out's. Both were on hot days and my speed was 65 or below (prefer 62 but try to stay only 5 below prevailing traffic). My tow is 3800 lbs & I always check tire pressure prior to departing. My caddy came with Goodyear Marathon's. I had my 1st blowout when they were 3 yrs-old and that took out the whole fender. So, I replaced both the tires with new Marathon's. I had my 2nd blowout two weeks ago on the year-old tire and again it took out the fender. Needless to say I travel with a spare now. I purchased the replacement tire from a Good Year dealer in Clinton NC (mid trip) and he said those Marathon tires were terrible and won't sell them so he sold me a Road Rider ST (again made in China). So now I have a Carlisle (was the spare I bought from Demco) and Road Rider on the dolly and a Marathon for a spare, all China. I have zero confidence in any of them. It's a shame that a well-made caddy has to wear such poor shoes.
My year old Kar Kaddy SS came with carlisles, and have about 3000 miles on them. So far, no problems. When I called my tire distributor for a wheel and tire, they recommended Tow Max over the marathons. When I need to replace the two main tires, I'll probably contact my new distributor for Maxxis tires if I become dissatisfied with the carlisles.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
After reading a number of threads about blowouts and other failires on Carlisle's and other tires, I just up and replaced both tires on the new Kar Kaddy with Maxxis, which consistently appear to have a good reputation (better safe than sorry... ). I also put a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) all around, including the Maxxis tires on the Caddy. No problem on this trip. Everything (pressure and temperature) appeared to hold really steady with the Maxxis tires, at least on this trip.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks TGR & MN_Traveler: I'd love to hear from those that have tires they can recommend in confidence. For me at least the cost is not an issue at only $100 or so a tire, I'd gladly spend the money for a higher-quality product. The TPMS is a prudent addition. But each failure I had was a blowout-sudden. Then add in each fender cost of around $250 ea, then the hassle, then possible towed damage I'd pay more if $ equaled quality. I'll research the Maxxis-thanks. I know they are trying to make themselves a true name-brand rather than a private label mfg.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
Thanks TGR & MN_Traveler: I'd love to hear from those that have tires they can recommend in confidence. For me at least the cost is not an issue at only $100 or so a tire, I'd gladly spend the money for a higher-quality product. The TPMS is a prudent addition. But each failure I had was a blowout-sudden. Then add in each fender cost of around $250 ea, then the hassle, then possible towed damage I'd pay more if $ equaled quality. I'll research the Maxxis-thanks. I know they are trying to make themselves a true name-brand rather than a private label mfg.
My understanding is that the majority of "blowouts" are not really sudden events. Most result from **loss of pressure** of a tire, which produces increased/unsafe heating of the tire material, which then triggers the actual failure. The beauty of a TPMs is that (at least for a good one) it monitors for relatively sudden changes in pressure (like in my case a 10% change in 3 minutes or so, or an absolute 10 - 15% reduction in pressure below the programmed "cold" target pressure). If such is detected, then lights flash and bells ring - enabling you to pull over and check things out before they go critical. Its really cool: while driving and doing the occasional scan of the instruments to make sure all is well, just noting a **green** light on the TPMs gives much comfort - or you can observe the readout and see the actual real-time pressure and temperature in every single tire in the rig - including the toad (which you would otherwise be blind to).

Again, it is my understanding that a very few blowouts are spontaneous failures ... but far and away the vast majority are initially triggered by a pressure loss - so the odds are with you if you are monitoring for pressure loss, with time to stop and correct...