Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #1

Spent the weekend prepping the toad. Now just need to buy an RV :)

We are in the process of purchasing an RV. We bought this mini back in June to use as a toad. I spent the weekend installing a blue ox baseplate and wiring bulbs into the tail lights. I also added the roof rack to carry our bikes.

Tomorrow the inspectors goes to inspect the motorhome. If all goes well we will be on the road soon.

The blue ox baseplate install on a 2009 mini is not for the faint of heart. You have to cut holes in the bumper and drill from multiple sides into the bumper. Then you have to cut the plastic bumper to fit over it all. After all that it still doesn't go back together perfectly. We had to force the holes to line up on the bumper because the baseplate hit the back of the bumper. Now that it's all back together it looks just fine and I don't forsee any trouble with it.
About half way through the install though a tow-dolly was starting to look real good.
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #2

Mini's are nice thinking about one myself yours a 6 speed manual. Good luck with your Chile mini
AtecMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtecMike View Post
Mini's are nice thinking about one myself yours a 6 speed manual. Good luck with your Chile mini
Yep It's a 6 speed. It's like a giant go cart.

I'm still teaching my wife to drive it.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Wow, most people get the MH first and then go out and search for a vehicle to tow. Your the first person I know that bought the toad first and then went out a searched for a MH to tow it with.
I like that approach.
BTW: that is a nice looking Mini!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #5

I literally put the cart before the horse.

We couldn't buy a motorhome until now, but knew we were going to do it.
We knew we would need a toad and decided on the mini. My wife needed to learn to drive it so we went ahead and bought it.

This has given me time to get it set up and get used to it and given the wife time to learn to drive it.

RV Inspection is tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Fortunately we found the previous owner of the RV here on the forums and were able to talk to him. Hopefully everything will turn out well.

Then we can start figuring out how we want to build our computer desks in.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #6

Your going to love towing the mini we've been towing an 08 clubman with roadmaster base plt. for 2 summers now, can't even tell its back there.Good luck with your new toys.

Rick
rick h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick h View Post
Your going to love towing the mini we've been towing an 08 clubman with roadmaster base plt. for 2 summers now, can't even tell its back there.Good luck with your new toys.

Rick
What did you do for brakes? We don't "have" to have brakes in Indiana, but we will be full timing with it and want to comply with every state.

I was thinking of the SMI system, except I don't know where I would put the back up air tank for the air version. I guess I could use the electric version instead.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post

What did you do for brakes? We don't "have" to have brakes in Indiana, but we will be full timing with it and want to comply with every state.

I was thinking of the SMI system, except I don't know where I would put the back up air tank for the air version. I guess I could use the electric version instead.
I highly recommend the ready brute elite tow bar. The Ready Brake is integrated into the tow bar. The bar cost around $850 and you have your brake included. The installation of the cable is not anywhere near as hard as that base plate you put in.

We have a 2012 ford focus Se sport.

I love your mini, great looking and driving car.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I highly recommend the ready brute elite tow bar. The Ready Brake is integrated into the tow bar. The bar cost around $850 and you have your brake included. The installation of the cable is not anywhere near as hard as that base plate you put in.

We have a 2012 ford focus Se sport.

I love your mini, great looking and driving car.
Very interesting I haven't seen that one before. Seems pretty easy to install and simple to use. Does this do anything if the care "breaks away" I know it's near impossible to do, but some states require breaks for it.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
http://www.readybrake.com/SurgeBrakeRule.pdf

This PDF will reply to those concerns. The Ready Brake system is very simple. It connects when you hook up your toad. The safety cables should alleviate breakaway concerns, especially with such a light car.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
We are in the process of purchasing an RV. We bought this mini back in June to use as a toad. I spent the weekend installing a blue ox baseplate and wiring bulbs into the tail lights. I also added the roof rack to carry our bikes.

Tomorrow the inspectors goes to inspect the motorhome. If all goes well we will be on the road soon.

The blue ox baseplate install on a 2009 mini is not for the faint of heart. You have to cut holes in the bumper and drill from multiple sides into the bumper. Then you have to cut the plastic bumper to fit over it all. After all that it still doesn't go back together perfectly. We had to force the holes to line up on the bumper because the baseplate hit the back of the bumper. Now that it's all back together it looks just fine and I don't forsee any trouble with it.
About half way through the install though a tow-dolly was starting to look real good.
Yes very nice Mini, you don't say what size MH you will be looking too buy, but if you get say like a 40 footer do you really need brakes for the mini?
Just curious
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #12

We are getting a 40ft DP.

I don't think I "need" brakes for the mini, but we will be full timing and it is required by law in some states. We will go with the smallest, simplest system we can find since we don't need much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Yes very nice Mini, you don't say what size MH you will be looking too buy, but if you get say like a 40 footer do you really need brakes for the mini?
Just curious
Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #13

We have been towing a 2006 Mini convertible for 3 years now. We had to install a 8" drop hitch to even out the Blue Ox to the height of the Mini. Sometimes scrape on the bar on a deep dip, but not often. We love having the convertible when we go to the Smokies, Colorado.....curvy roads! Really we love it anywhere. Enjoy!
TheLoveCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #14

Nice, We bought this in one in South Carolina and drove it back through the mountains and over Deals Gap. It was a ton of fun.

Tags
toad