Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Sports-car-ish Toad; A/T & 4down?

Looking for any recommendation for a toad option that is sports-car-ish (think Mazda Miata, Nissan 350Z, etc). Must have auto tranny for DW and towed 4 down. Minor modifications required to tranny OK.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Dirk
DLoy1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

For a sports car I would use a trailer for the car. Sports car tires aren't cheap and I would think it will be difficult finding one that can be towed. Not just with the trans issues but also with mounting tow bar etc.

With a Miata the trailer can be quite small
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #3

Sports-car-ish Toad; A/T & 4down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
For a sports car I would use a trailer for the car. Sports car tires aren't cheap and I would think it will be difficult finding one that can be towed. Not just with the trans issues but also with mounting tow bar etc.

With a Miata the trailer can be quite small
Thank you the recommendation. I was able to find a publication that shows all the vehicles and their 4 down capabilities and few, if any, are towable w/o a trailer. Was hoping not to go the trailer route due to limited space at the house.

Thank you again.
DLoy1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoy1324 View Post
Looking for any recommendation for a toad option that is sports-car-ish (think Mazda Miata, Nissan 350Z, etc). Must have auto tranny for DW and towed 4 down. Minor modifications required to tranny OK.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Dirk
1) 2008 - 2011 Honda Fit. They can be pretty darn fast, handle very well, are lightweight to tow, and are a blast to drive. As a side benefit, you can haul quite a bit in them, considering how light weight and compact they are. My youngest daughter has a 2009 with auto and Nav. It is really a nice car and is holding up well after 7 years of a 'learning driver' and high school / college dorm parking lots. I know automatics up through 2011 could be 'towed' legitimately according to the Owners Manual. I don't think the later models have it in the Owners Manual as being OK, but they are probably no different until maybe this year.

2) Ford Fiesta. Same comments as above, except that even new ones can be 'towed'.

So...look in older FMCA Guide to Towables. Also try out any idea on Remco website. They have a look-up chart if a vehicle can be 'towed' 4-down and/or they tell you what mods need to be made.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Your problem is going to be the auto trans. Neither of the two you listed is towable four down unless it has a stick. The alternative would be a driveshaft disconnect.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #6

Here's "THE" best sports car set up for a coach I've seen recently, and since you didn't mention any sort of budget.....

King Aire with matching stacker, and a Lambo (under the car cover behind the trailer).

The Lambo paddle shifters can be a bit notchy compared to Porsche PDK or even a Ferarri 458 (but much smoother than a 430 Scud.) , but she'll get used to it, and it's not a manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	139376  
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Your problem is going to be the auto trans. Neither of the two you listed is towable four down unless it has a stick. The alternative would be a driveshaft disconnect.
Au contraire, mon ami. Both Honda Fit (up thru 2011) and Ford Fiesta can be towed with automatic tranny...
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

There are some sport-ish cars that you can flat tow, but I don't know of any with an auto trans.

Good luck with your search.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think my jeep Wrangler is pretty sporty. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:44 AM   #10

I had in mind the Wiki Definition of "Sports Car" =

A sports car (sportscar) is a small, usually two seater, two door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.

Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious, but high maneuverability and minimum weight are requisite.

They may be equipped for racing, "especially an aerodynamically shaped one-passenger or two-passenger vehicle having a low center of gravity and steering and suspension designed for precise control at high speeds."

HERE is MY Classic Sports Car..... My supercharged Miata (above) is a close second.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad