Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

Stacker trailer

building a stacker trailer for my 45ft coach. What is the longest i should go with?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #2

15' box and 5' tongue if you want to be legal 65' length in many places.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

I am 43ft and pull a 30ft stacker with a 5 foot tongue. I love it and have never had an issue even in California where the limit is 65ft
Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

what do you put in your stacker? congrats on the new coach. does your new coach have 450 hp
Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endo View Post
what do you put in your stacker? congrats on the new coach. does your new coach have 450 hp
Depending on where we are going I carry different things. The norm is an off road vehicle (maverick), my corvette zo6 and a 2010 ford f150. Yes the new coach has the 450 in it. It also has a lower rearend gear so between the two of them it should be a big difference.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #6

if you have your car and truck and golf cart? Are you full time rv?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
if you have your car and truck and golf cart? Are you full time rv?
We spend about 7 or 8 months a year in it.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Everyone says length is not an issue as they have not been stopped. Worst that will happen is they will make you unhook and pay a fine. Then you hire a tow truck to haul you down the road an hour or so and hook up and go.

Of a bigger concern is the curb weight of your stacker plus the toys. Most coaches have a 15,000 lb drawbar limit. It sounds like you may be pushing the limit for your coach capacity.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Worst that will happen is they will make you unhook and pay a fine.
No, worst that could happen is that you are at fault in a deadly accident and are sued for everything you own for total negligence of operating an illegal over length vehicle.
Hope it never happens to anyone but with all the ambulance chasers out there it will sooner or later.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Everyone says length is not an issue as they have not been stopped. Worst that will happen is they will make you unhook and pay a fine. Then you hire a tow truck to haul you down the road an hour or so and hook up and go.

Of a bigger concern is the curb weight of your stacker plus the toys. Most coaches have a 15,000 lb drawbar limit. It sounds like you may be pushing the limit for your coach capacity.
Most of the weight concerns on the 15k hitch is tongue weight. I run zero tongue weight as I use a trailer toad. Also my hitch has been up graded and reinforced to prevent the hitch from rolling under the coach in the event of a panic stop. I stay within the vehicles GCVW
Old 04-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #11

stacker

I am buying a IH 45 foretravel with 20k tow bar with 3k tongue weight. The trailer is being made by factory transport. The trailer will have air brakes that will run off the coach with 22.5 in tires with 2 10k pound axles. I am not concerned about the weight just the length. the coach and trailer will be 45ft and trailer 26ft with 6 foot tongue.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
No, worst that could happen is that you are at fault in a deadly accident and are sued for everything you own for total negligence of operating an illegal over length vehicle.
Hope it never happens to anyone but with all the ambulance chasers out there it will sooner or later.
This I agree with 100% and hope it never happens to anyone. But we keep pushing the limits so eventually . . . . . someone will "lose the ranch". You can bet your insurance company will quickly become scarce if this is the case. We have a joke about "you are in good hands. . . . " as you pull your hands apart!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Most of the weight concerns on the 15k hitch is tongue weight. I run zero tongue weight as I use a trailer toad. Also my hitch has been up graded and reinforced to prevent the hitch from rolling under the coach in the event of a panic stop. I stay within the vehicles GCVW
You have been doing your home work as well.

We have a Tour on order. With the 15,000 limit. I wanted to strengthen the hitch and contacted the manufacturer. They would not consider a change. The fellow I was in contact with said the specifications were the chassis manufacturer not the coach.

I find the entire weight issue to be complex. The engineers sit down and work out the numbers, apply a safety factor of XX% to get a spec. The user looks at the specs and say well the engineers built in a safety factor so we can add XXXX% and should be OK.

I think the engineers take into account a lot of factors we are not aware of and then try to balance everything out for strength, weight and cost to build as safe a product as reasonably practical. EG. The trailer brakes fail - can the coach stop the unit within specific "design" parameters. They have been at this a lot of years, have mountains of statistics and testing to use as a design basis. I think they have to design a lot of products with "dummies" in mind. (No matter how well a product is designed someone will come along and manage to make the design inadequate. A prime example is the issues of light aircraft with design and use.) Most of the folks on this forum are doing their homework, make informed decisions, maintain their units, drive defensively and will never have a catastrophic problem.

I know with a little effort and a tongue scale the tongue weight can be adjusted to fit whatever the requirement is. If you are staying within the GCVW of the coach and your hitch has been strengthened there should be very little need for a trailer toad other than to add another set of axles and tires to maintain as well as length to your unit.

It is going to be interesting when we get our coach and the DW gets done loading up all of the interior stuff, we add fuel and water to see what the weight of the coach is. My bet is we will be near the GVWR so I will have to stay within the drawbar spec to maintain the GCVW. With that in mind we are ordering an aluminum stacker with a length that keeps us legal. It has a low curb weight. I have weighed all of the toys we are taking and will be under the towbar capacity, and GCVW. Once we replace the heavy SUV we will be able to add more toys as space permits.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I am buying a IH 45 foretravel with 20k tow bar with 3k tongue weight. The trailer is being made by factory transport. The trailer will have air brakes that will run off the coach with 22.5 in tires with 2 10k pound axles. I am not concerned about the weight just the length. the coach and trailer will be 45ft and trailer 26ft with 6 foot tongue.
Nice unit.

Here are a couple links to check out the length by state and province.

A quick look shows some states limit to 60' and motorhomes to 40'.

State Towing Laws for RVs

RVSafely.com