Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

I tried to test fit the Stay-IN-Play controller box in various location in the car and I guess the only location that will work is the trunk. I only have about 1 1/2" clearance below the driver seat. I was thinking about the "foot area" in front of the passenger seat but that would defeat the advantage of this brake system. If I go with the truck installation, there is the cable and hose routing issue that needs to be decided. I don't see much room for an interior installation but I don't like the idea of going under the car (exposed to the elements). I am getting cold feet when it comes to trying to install the system myself. I am thinking about finding an installer in my area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #2

I tried to test fit the Stay-IN-Play controller box in various location in the car and I guess the only location that will work is the trunk. I only have about 1 1/2" clearance below the driver seat. I was thinking about the "foot area" in front of the passenger seat but that would defeat the advantage of this brake system. If I go with the truck installation, there is the cable and hose routing issue that needs to be decided. I don't see much room for an interior installation but I don't like the idea of going under the car (exposed to the elements). I am getting cold feet when it comes to trying to install the system myself. I am thinking about finding an installer in my area.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was able to run mine inside by removing the step treads & routing wires, hose etc. beneath carpet at the edge of steptreads. Once to the back seat you should be home free, to get to the trunk. Don't know how the Saturn is done but the caravan was pretty easy.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #4

I ran the cable and tubing under the floor trim and carpeting also. Fortunately mine does fit under the driver's seat since it is a manual seat. If you call the SMI factory they will work with you to get the proper length of cable and hose for your installation. All the people I've come into contact with at the factory have been very helpful.

2002 Winnebago Brave 34D Ford V10
jafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #5

Check with the SMI installers. I have used my controller box in two Saturns (L200), one with a power seat and the other manual. It seems tight but it works and still can move the seat. I don't know about the newer ION models.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #6

I have a 2000 LS2 (I think it is the predecessor to the L300). The driver seat is mounted very close to the floor. I need to take a look at the passenger seat clearance to see if I can squeeze it under that seat. When you say installers, do you mean the factory installers?

Cheers
Old 02-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #7

I had mine installed at their facility in Evansville IN. I know you can't do this because of where you live, however, you can call their number in Evansville and they can help you with your installation. I sat in the office and I heard one of their techs giving instructions over the phone. I do not have the number with me because I
Old 02-15-2006, 08:17 PM   #8

I had mine installed at their facility in Evansville IN. I know you can't do this because of where you live, however, you can call their number in Evansville and they can help you with your installation. I sat in the office and I heard one of their techs giving instructions over the phone. I do not have the number with me because I am on the road. The number that is on their advertisement should get you in touch with them