Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stay-in-Play Duo ?

OK to all stay and play duo owners tell me how often your brakes activate on your toad.... I just took ours out this weekend and want to compare ours to yours to see if i need to adjust the sensitivity of the system... I drive very cautiously when in the RV so i always let of the gas early and coast way before the cars giving me a little cushion if needed to stop and so the braking force isn't that great to turn on the toad brakes from the inertia switch .... There was one time on this trip i had to get on the brakes kinda hard to stop and the toad brakes came and i could feel them helping with the braking .... So could others with this system tell me their experiences with this system

Thanks Mike

mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mavric65,
I do not have the braking system mentioned in your post. However, since no replies have been posted, I'll provide my view. I have a USGEAR system. It has a display of red lights on the dash. The red lights provide the driver an indication of the severity of toad braking being applied. Testing my setup, via the instructions, I know it is working. I have felt the toad braking a very few times. Like you, my usual deceleration to a stop is enough to activate the toad brakes, but not enough to feel it.

Based on the OP information I'd say you have your setup adjusted properly.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Come on smi owners can you please give me some feed back i know there is alot of you out there
Old 01-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike,

I have the same systems and I test it once in awhile. If you get on the brakes somewhat hard and you can feel the toad braking then you have it adjusted right. If not, increase the sensitivity a bit until you do. I installed a small LED on the hood of my Jeep toad so I could see when they are activated via my rear camera, but in reality it is very hard to see in the daylight.

Also, pull your breakaway switch while stationary and make sure you can hear the compressor kick in.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #5

Under normal deceleration, you do not want the toad to stop the motorhome. Meaning, your motorhome has enough inertia (in this case negative intertia while braking) to slow and stop the toad.

Under gentle braking situations, the toad brakes may not come on at all. This is OK and desirable. You may want to test when they come on under different braking scenerio's so you can adjust sensitivity accordingly. You want the toad brakes to actuate under 'firm' and definitely actuate under 'severe' braking conditions. Sensitivity is adjustable. You definitely want the brakes to actuate when you need them, but not when you don't.

We install about 3 SMI systems a month. Customers are generally very happy with them.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being an SMI user you seem to have the right brake activity. Ours only comes on when brake is applied briskly. My light is at the bottom of my windshield center.

Mike
Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all thats what i needed to hear so i feel mine is adjusted correct and i mounted my light beside the H in the grille of the CR-V and can see it come on in the daylight through the rear camera....