Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #1

Stay-in-play vs Unified

After reading most of the various forums on toad braking system, and researching the vendor sites I have narrowed it down to two systems that I want. One is the SMI Stay-in-Play Duo and the other is the Unified tow brake.
I like the the SMI feature that it only activates when the coach brakes are applied. I like the Unified system's ability two adjust the proportional breaking from the coach.
So the question is; is either feature worth getting one over the other.
We. Will be using an Allegro 36la, yet to be delivered, and a 2013 Honda CRV.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to Mike Cody, who is a Freightliner Chassis Instructor, the Unified is already prewired in your MH as are in all Freightliner Chassis that are now being built. None of the other systems are prewired on their chassis.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Since your motorhome is on a Ford chassis, you can ignore that last post although that is great news for folks buying MHs on Freightliner chassis.

Either one is really good but my preference would be for the SMI system. I almost got one for our Fit, but space is too limited to do the install in the Fit (at least for me it is). I think it would be an easier install as most of it will be confined to your car.

If you haven't joined yet, you might want to consider joining the tiffinrvnetwork.com website. Lots of Tiffin experienced owners waiting to help you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The Ford chassis have had the trailer brake connector and wiring since 1999. On 2012MY and later the connector is located on the left hand side of the steering column support. Before it was mounted behind the instrument cluster.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed the Unified in our Winny and it works great. It is quiet a bit of work to install in the toad but I have done it twice now. I traded our 04 Wrangler for a new one and pulled the unit out of the old Jeep and reinstalled it.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can only comment on the SMI as that is what I have. I am very impressed with the unit and customer support.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Since your motorhome is on a Ford chassis, you can ignore that last post although that is great news for folks buying MHs on Freightliner chassis.

Either one is really good but my preference would be for the SMI system. I almost got one for our Fit, but space is too limited to do the install in the Fit (at least for me it is). I think it would be an easier install as most of it will be confined to your car.

If you haven't joined yet, you might want to consider joining the tiffinrvnetwork.com website. Lots of Tiffin experienced owners waiting to help you.
Sorry about the wrong info. I didn't know that Tiffin used Ford chassis.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Unified brake decelerator in automatic mode only operates when the tow vehicle (Motor home) brakes are applied,, Same as the Stay and play.

IN very very rare cases.. You may feel the need to manually activate the towed brakes (I have done it one time) without activating the motor home brakes.. The Unified Brake Decelerator offers this option.

With the Unified brake system you can disable it, enable it adjust it or manually set the brakes, all from the Motor Home driver's seat.

With the Stay and play you turn it on or off from the car when you hook up.