Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #1

Staying within tow speed.

We have had our motorhome a little over a year and want to start towing a vehicle along on out trips. I noticed that some of the vehicles listed in the Motorhome Guide and in their owners Manual list speeds and distance for towing. My question is - How close are those of you who are towing a vehicle stick to the listed speed? Lets say it is listed at 65mph. Do you try and not go over that speed or do you drive along at, say 70mph when conditions allow. I ask because when I am driving along at 65mph I am sometimes passed by a Motorhome towing a vehicle whom I believe is traveling around 70mph. I know it might not be possible to keep it at 65mph going down some hills or when traveling where the country side is nice and flat and the speed limit is higher than 65mph. So - How important is it to stick to the 65MPH limit?

Still learning how things work and having fun.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #2

My CRV has a listed tow speed of 65. My typical cruise speed is between 62 and 65. Not just because of the CRV but that is where I get the best mileage and that's where is feel the most comfortable. I enjoy driving and seeing the sights and scenery. The faster you go the less you'll see.
I do occasionally get up to 70-72 before I take it out of cruise on a down hill but it is short lived and let the jake bring it back down.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As noted above, running 60 to 65 is a much more relaxed trip than roaring down the highway trying to keep up with the crowd. Also, above about 60 the mileage heads south.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #4

What they are saying. In spades if you are retired. There are always some folks who have to do 10 over the speed limit no matter what. There are those who really don't have time. Let them stress out, feed the bears, and cook transmissions. The rest of us get in the slow lane with the trucks and get there a few minutes later and much more relaxed. ;-)

That said don't panic if you have a short stint over 65 to pass or whatever. The issue is heat buildup with prolonged running. That is why a lot of us walk around feeling tires and wheel hubs every time we stop. We also stop every 1-2 hours just to take a walk and sort out the body.

If you are coming down hills at over 65 you probably started too fast at the top and/or are in the wrong gear. Brakes break. Keep that in mind. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

While I rarely exceed 65 any more, I never worried much about toad speed restrictions. They are pretty arbitrary, in my opinion. The risk in the whole toad-towing business is heat build-up in the transmission and there are several factors involved, of which speed is but one. We usually stop for breaks every 2-3 hours anyway, and my wife would typically start and run the toad for a few minutes when we stop. Gave her a chance to stretch her legs and the car a chance to circulate some tranny fluid and move it through the radiator for cooling as well.

If I was going to tow for several hours non-stop on a hot day, I might try to keep the speed down to whatever the toad towing specs recommended.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #6

When we started fulltiming over 5yrs. ago I would obsess over the speed I was going while towing. I pull a Saturn Vue And 65mph is supposed to be the max speed. Now, I don't even think about it. Sometimes I'll be running 70mph for awhile on wide open stretches of hiway. We usually stop for lunch after about 4hrs., and I'll start the Saturn and let it run while eating. Before leaving I make sure to run it through the gears to make sure the automatic tranny is well lubed. Then it's off again. I've been doing this from Maine to California, Florida to Alaska and all through the Midwest. In over 5yrs. not one problem.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

We tow a Chevy HHR. Speed limit is 65mph. Which works for us. My sister does all the driving, I can't drive anymore due to vision issues. We usually travel around 62mph, stay in the slow lane. And on two lane roads, when the train gets 5/6/7 cars in it. The sister will pull over somewher and let them pass. We are not in a hurry. The drive to a location is part of the adventure for us.
Life is a triip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
woodworker414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #8

I'm with Garry above. We pull a CRV as well, and while I'm generally running about that speed, I'm not real worried if I run well in excess of that going down a hill for instance, or even if I'm in a hurry and running 70mph all day. We exercise it once a day, regardless of distance driven (maybe 500 miles max?).

Bottom line, not too concerned about speed or distance restrictions. We've pulled this thing all over the place for the last few years without incident.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

We are in the 60/62 mph club. I never exceed the posted speed limit. When the wind is bad, I slow down as everyone should!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like others, we usually hang around 62-65. Our Civic has a limit of 65mph and 300 miles when towed. On rare occasions we'll run 70mph (good tail wind), but we NEVER exceed the 300 mile rule.

The 300 mile limit is based on performing a "pre-tow sequence" to lubricate and prepare the automatic transmission for towing. This procedure needs to be performed at least every 300 miles.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Another 60 - 62 believer. However, in many of the states, 55mph is max for any vehicle towing...even so, I will still run around 60.

When we go to Salt Lake City area on I-15, the speed limit is 80.....guess what? I'm still at 60 - 62 and just let the speedsters pass by.

I'm retired and now live in the slow lane and just don't see any reason to keep up with those who just have to go faster.

Our Terrain does have a 65 mph limit, but as far as I'm concerned, that is not a factor.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #12

My CRV has a 65 mph restriction. I usually drive 62 - 65, but occasionally 70 or even 75 for short periods if the circumstances demand. I just returned from a 3200 mile trip with no problems. I suspect the restrictions are more of a legal nature than a mechanical one, but it just makes sense to me to err on the side of caution.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Anyone ever checked what their towed tranny temp is after a couple hundred miles of interstate towing?
Old 07-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure what the tow speed is on my modified NEON (LP-1 mod)

But I do try to stay below 65 when towing it.

Nice tool.. OBD-II blue tooth adapter feeding Cell phone with TORQUE Pro

Torque is a "Glass Dash" application.. I have not been able to use it on the MH yet but on my car it reads assorted sensors (Manufold Vacuum/pressure, RPM, Vehicle speed (OBD) Vehicle speed (GPS) Position (GPS) acceleration, timing advance. Engine load..And a host of others too numerous to remember Some GPS some OBD.

IT can also sound alarms.. High/low Voltage.. High Speed to name but 3

I set it for75 on the car's profile.. will set to either 60 or 65 for motor home.

Tags
tow