Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Steering wheel lock with dolly

I just picked up a used Demo tow dolly as neither car is flat towable. My steering wheel does not lock. It is a Lexus CT200 hybrid similar to a Prius. I am thinking to use 2 nylon straps woven thru the spokes and secured by closing the front doors over them. Any alternative suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
soundsuperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I dolly towed a Buick Verano this past summer and ran the fully-extended seat/shoulder belt through the spokes and down to the latch, then ran the seat back until it tightened up. Worked quite well.

I'm not convinced that merely closing the doors on a strap will keep the strap from sliding. It's evident that the wheel puts a constant vibration & tugging on the strap, working at it over hours of towing. Maybe put a knot in the strap so it can't slip through?

Whatever method you use, stop after an hour and check to see how it is holding up. Check the front wheel tie-down straps too. They will probably need a couple extra turns on the ratchet as well. It's amazing what an hour of road travel will do to something that seemed rock-solid when you hooked it up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

I tow a short, Kia Soul with a long overhang, 30 ft, Class C.

My first time out, I got in a gas station situation where I needed to back up a bit.

I did and got back on the road. When we went to unload the car, the Key would not turn. I pulled it apart and found the steering lock sheared off. I took out the prices and have been towing without a steering lock for 3 years now.

My point is that I don't tie the steering wheel and it tows fine.

On some real sharp turns, the turntable travels to the limits and the car wheels turn, just like in an Acme dolly. If I go straight, it all straightens right out. If I tied the steering, I may start dragging the dolly in sharp turns.

I've put about 24,000 miles on the MH, car and dolly, and have had no problems towing. I don't tie the steering wheel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #4

I'm not sure my vehicle's steering wheel locks completely, so I use a couple of tie down straps attached to the wheel, then ran through the seat mount and back. Works great, and in fact, is where the Master Tow company recommends placing tie downs.
Michigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

FWIW I would not sweat the steering wheel tie down either. Assuming you have the Demco with steerable axles a small amount of additional body turn will just help in a tight corner. Too much swing may run the car into the dolly but that is a lot of swing.

In general two types of dollies are available. Those that steer and those that do not. The steering funtion is there to accommodate locked steering columns. Cars that do not have locking steering columns work on both steering and non steering dollies. Cars with locking columns have to have the column unlocked for a dolly that does not steer.

FWIW I check my straps after the first couple of turns. That can still be in the park or in the neighborhood. That is all it takes to get the car to move to it's most comfortable spot. I usually get a click or two at that time and seldom get another one until I unload the car.

FWIW2 check out twinboats safety hold down cable for keeping the car on the dolly and adapt it to yours. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
1" web strap with a ratchet. One end on a front seat mount, up through the steering wheel and back down to the other front seat mount.
Our 2006 Solara has a locking steering wheel but only engages when turned hard right or hard left.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, steering