Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,239
FWIW I built mine the way twinboat showed in another thread but used these:

Everbilt 3/8 in. Zinc-Plated Quick Link-43384 - The Home Depot

After the first trip I reverses the ends to put the links on the outside because I could not get to the inside attachment points without getting on a knee. Not handy with two replacements. The quick links are just big enough to clear the bar and clear the cable loop. I might look for the next size up. Might not too. ;-)
__________________

__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,909
If got 2 fake knees too.

I probably reach, without kneeling, because I tow a short nose Kia Soul.

Haven't tried it the other way, but I thought it would be harder to push the cable thru, from the inside.
__________________

__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 412
I have the same dolly, and occasionally my plate is cocked slightly as an angle as well.

The way I fix this, is I carry a simple cargo roof web strap (the webbing is about an inch wide) which I had picked up a package of 4 of these things years ago. It is something similar to this:

Tie Down Straps & Tie Down Accessories at Harbor Freight

I just simply put the hook on the serrated drive up ramp, put the other end in the dolly winch that you use for the wheel strap, and just give use your existing wrench to tighten the strap. It will slide the pivot table back to center.

Just put it on side which is the longest, simple correction to get the pivot table back straight.
__________________
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 9
My dolly has a couple of large blue teflon type "washers" that the plate rides on. They were gouged a fair bit even though it's supposedly only been used once. I agree that the grease would attract more grit but didn't know what else to use. Maybe I should just clean them up next time and try it dry. Thanks for all the information.


On your picture of the safety cable, there's a third cable in the middle that appears to be going into the ratchet. What is the purpose of that and how did you attach it to the other cable? Also, I wouldn't think I'd put the cable and the tire straps in the ratchet together. Is that what you do?
__________________
Leelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 9
That'd work for sure. I think I'll carry one of these with us in case this happens away from home.
__________________
Leelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee View Post
My dolly has a couple of large blue teflon type "washers" that the plate rides on. They were gouged a fair bit even though it's supposedly only been used once. I agree that the grease would attract more grit but didn't know what else to use. Maybe I should just clean them up next time and try it dry. Thanks for all the information.


On your picture of the safety cable, there's a third cable in the middle that appears to be going into the ratchet. What is the purpose of that and how did you attach it to the other cable? Also, I wouldn't think I'd put the cable and the tire straps in the ratchet together. Is that what you do?
That is actually just a tree branch, I proped the cable up with, for the picture.
__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
walt2137's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Quitman MS
Posts: 2,362
The round thing under the turn table is a taflon disc and does not need grease suposely.
__________________
Walt & Will
2000 Dynasty
2013 F150 XLT Crew C 4X4
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If got 2 fake knees too.

I probably reach, without kneeling, because I tow a short nose Kia Soul.

Haven't tried it the other way, but I thought it would be harder to push the cable thru, from the inside.
It is harder so I made a hook out of a wire coat hanger. Push the hook through the hole, put loop in hook, pull back through the wheel. Can do it all when bent over with our Escape.

IMHO whatever works for a given user and vehicle. I might have been OK with your way if I use the hooks you did as it is faster than the screw gates. This way we have both ways covered so anyone else you tries this has their options covered. ;-)
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It is harder so I made a hook out of a wire coat hanger. Push the hook through the hole, put loop in hook, pull back through the wheel. Can do it all when bent over with our Escape.

IMHO whatever works for a given user and vehicle. I might have been OK with your way if I use the hooks you did as it is faster than the screw gates. This way we have both ways covered so anyone else you tries this has their options covered. ;-)
Absolutely
__________________

__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stehl tow dolly and Scion XB 92019tony Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 12-22-2014 09:54 AM
American car dolly or Stehl??? Rendon Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 02-19-2014 04:39 AM
Stehl Tow Dolly Piledrive Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 2 01-02-2012 11:34 AM
Finally Got Around to Testing Stehl Dolly SPICoaster Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 0 07-10-2011 04:31 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.