Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Still no toad?

The DW and I are in our second year on the road of our full time RV experiment. Of course we love it, but there must be something wrong with us - we still don't have a toad... and don't want one.

I fully expected to add a toad if we continued to fulltime, yet we find with our traveling style - short stops and small, public campgrounds - we rarely miss a car. Also, I have noticed the most problems RV'ers have seem to be with their toads. We have rented a car a few times when staying in urban areas which has worked well.

I know most class A fulltimers wouldn't be without a toad, but I wonder if their are any folks like us , or any who ditched their toad after a while and are happy about it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
The DW and I are in our second year on the road of our full time RV experiment. Of course we love it, but there must be something wrong with us - we still don't have a toad... and don't want one.

I fully expected to add a toad if we continued to fulltime, yet we find with our traveling style - short stops and small, public campgrounds - we rarely miss a car. Also, I have noticed the most problems RV'ers have seem to be with their toads. We have rented a car a few times when staying in urban areas which has worked well.

I know most class A full-timers wouldn't be without a toad, but I wonder if their are any folks like us , or any who ditched their toad after a while and are happy about it.
Okiedoke
We have been "winter-timers" for 14 years
Although we took our first cross country trip without a toad, we've towed a 4 door Saturn for 14 years, (over 100k miles).
Other than one flat tire we've never had a toad problem.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
No toad problems here and would not be without a toad. Just sayin...
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Drove our class a for about a month without a Toad while we were looking. Wife was working occasionally out of an office 200 miles away so we would drive the MH to the closest campground and stay in it the couple of days she would be there. The first time I dropped her off at work I pulled into the parking lot then started to trying to figure out how to get out of the lot. It was so tight one guy actually sat in his car and watched me leave to see how I was going to accomplish that. I only had to drive one wheel over a curb to make the exit. We found our enclave to tow and I would never go on any kind of trip again with a toad. Like anything else there is a learning curve to a toad. Hookup is a breeze nothing to that. I was on a trip to California and did not have any way to charge the toad battery while I was driving. The battery ran down and that was a problem with the enclave because the battery is in the floor board between the front seat and the back seat. The passenger seat was pushed back so I could not get the battery out. used long jumper cables to power up the electronics moved the seat forward and got the battery out so I could replace it. That was a little bit of trouble but nothing that could not be easily remedied. After that ran wire from 7 pin hookup to battery. That really is the only problem I have had with towing my enclave in three years.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #5

Whatever works for you: go for it.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We always had a toad just as most others have but after a year, I'd think you know enough about your travel style to make an informed call. I couldn't imagine being without one but we had a 40DP so runs to the market would be a problem.

We too never had any trouble with our toad.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never even know it's back there.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #8

Still no toad?

80,000+ miles toading. No issues.
Each to their own, but I like the very obvious benefits of a toad; parking, sight-seeing, going to the store, etc.
I know folks without toads. They are just not the adventurous type. They are "home" when we leave, "home" when we get back.
My Wrangler never needs to be put back in place, cable, water, sewer, satelite, leveled. It actually prefers to park at a noticable slant.

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Still no toad?

What problems with towed vehicles? Never have heard of problems with a towed vehicle. Went our first year without, soon realized we wouldn't be without our 4WD toad that also carries a boat and bicycles and tents for off-roading. Great set up for us.

Don't even know it's back there.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We went months without a toad while we were deciding what to buy. We got our Wrangler about two years ago. Now it always follows us!

The auxiliary brake works off the MoHo's air brakes so there's no battery drain. Hook up takes less than five minutes, and we've never had a problem with towing or with the Jeep. I can't imagine being gone without it. 😍
Old 02-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toad/dinghy

Just remember that your toad could be your way to find/get help in a roadside emergency.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post

I know most class A fulltimers wouldn't be without a toad, but I wonder if their are any folks like us , or any who ditched their toad after a while and are happy about it.
Hello there, we only part-time travel for about 4-6 months each year, so take this with that in mind. We bought our 2004 Jeep Liberty brand new, then our 2005 Dolphin the next year slightly used, and they have been together ever since. No problems with either, just typical maintenance stuff.

We have taken a trip to Tucson once without the Jeep, since our friends told us how easy the free shuttle service was to use. They lied. Our CG was no where near a shuttle stop, so we had to walk several miles to catch it. That was the year it snowed, and rained a lot!

However, last spring we traveled from Colorado to Georgia without a toad. One of our family members said they had a spare Jeep that we could use. They kinda lied, since their other vehicle broke down just as we arrived, so we had to share the spare Jeep. Kind of a drag, if you know what I mean.

No reason not to take the Jeep, although I prefer not to for some odd reason. Our class-A moho is only 33' in length, so not a problem using it to go to the store for groceries. No problems towing it, either. But we do like to adventure off the beaten path, and there is nothing like having a Jeep to do that, so it will continue to follow along closely where ever we go. It is just too convenient to not have along for the ride. We understand your situation, just not quite ready to not have a toad with us on every trip.

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #13

I went through this decision process just recently. I decided to get a toad and get it ready for four down towing. I'm sorta restless and once I get my camper hooked up, I want to go out and explore.

So I'm a newbie to the toad thingy, but I'm going to like the ability to wander around once I get to my campsites.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #14

So want kind of tow gear/setup do you guys use too tow a Jeep Wrangler? I've read the Wrangler needs to have Active II setup? Any other info would help me figure out what too buy... 😜

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜

Tags
toad