Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #1

Stop beeping when towing Chevrolet Equinox

My toad is a 2018 Chevy Equinox. It is towable and works fine.

My issue is that it has push button starting and no "accesssory" point like a key start. Anyway, when I go through the towing procedure and get it in neutral, get the brake hooked up, and cut the engine, it continues to ding with a message saying to put the car in park. I turn off all accessories like the radio and the ding continues until we arrive at our destination.

Surely this is not right. I tried leaving the key fob in the car on the console thinking that might cause it, but it did not help. We stop every 3-4 hours and start the car as the manufacturer's instructions say so it does not drain my battery.

I have checked the manual and verified I have done everything right.

Anyone tow one of these vehicles or have any idea how to stop the ding?
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #2

It should ding for about 30 minutes and then stop. Chevy did a poor job describing in the manual what would happen when setting the car up for towing. It’s sounds like you are doing everything right.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #3

I know nothing about your Equinox. But it seems like there should be a fuse that could be pulled.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

steve52 - When we were searching for a tow vehicle, we saw that on many vehicles, different fuses had to be removed. When we researched the Equinox, we saw that there was no requirement to remove a fuse. Surprised us so we checked with the dealer before we bought and then reviewed the vehicle manual on line and inside the car. No fuse removal required.

Bikinjim - Thanks. I did not think to see if it was still dinging when we arrived down in Florida. I will do that when we leave here. I assume you are correct as I see you have the same toad. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Look at the Pax side fuse panel on the console down by the floor. There may be a fuse called "Amplifier". If so, pull that and the noise should go away.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #6

My 2012 Equinox dings at me, while i'm sitting in it to set up tow conditions, with the door open. It shuts off after the door closes. I've listened. Probably not the 'remember your keys' warning?
Cat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:33 AM   #7

The 2018 Equinox’s are different from the earlier models. No fuses need to be pulled. The car will ding for 30 minutes after putting it in accessory mode with it left in neutral. However, the owners manual for the 2018 models didn’t say that was how it would work. Chevy cleared that up in the 2019 manual. It’s not yet on line, but I pulled up a page that was posted earlier on this forum that describes the dings for the 30 minutes. That is exactly how my car behaves.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #8

Quick follow up for you Bikinjim. That last paragraph on page 1 where it says "It is required to charge the battery of the towed vehicle during RV towing".. Do you find that to be true? I drive about 4 -5 hours and normally stop once in between. No issues with a weak battery yet. I also start the car as it says in the manual.

I thought about getting a solar trickle charger and placing it in the front windshield to charge the battery as we travel.

Thanks for posting that update. Glad to hear Chevrolet recognized they needed to give batter guidance.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielee View Post
Quick follow up for you Bikinjim. That last paragraph on page 1 where it says "It is required to charge the battery of the towed vehicle during RV towing".. Do you find that to be true? I drive about 4 -5 hours and normally stop once in between. No issues with a weak battery yet. I also start the car as it says in the manual.

I thought about getting a solar trickle charger and placing it in the front windshield to charge the battery as we travel.

Thanks for posting that update. Glad to hear Chevrolet recognized they needed to give batter guidance.
I wired up my charge line before my first tow so I really can’t say how long the battery will stay up. We often drive over 4 hours without stopping so I wanted to be sure we wouldn’t have any issues. A charge line is simple and cheap insurance to avoid problems - just connect the +12 line in your light umbilical with a 12 gauge wire and a 10 amp fuse to the positive pole of your Equinox battery and you will be covered. I also don’t think a small solar charger will do anything to keep your battery charged. Most of those chargers are less than 10 watts so the most they would provide would be less than 1 amp under ideal conditions which usually isn’t the case. They work fine to keep a battery charged if there is no load on it, but just aren’t big enough to replace any meaningful load.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katielee View Post
My toad is a 2018 Chevy Equinox. It is towable and works fine.

My issue is that it has push button starting and no "accesssory" point like a key start. Anyway, when I go through the towing procedure and get it in neutral, get the brake hooked up, and cut the engine, it continues to ding with a message saying to put the car in park. I turn off all accessories like the radio and the ding continues until we arrive at our destination.

Surely this is not right. I tried leaving the key fob in the car on the console thinking that might cause it, but it did not help. We stop every 3-4 hours and start the car as the manufacturer's instructions say so it does not drain my battery.

I have checked the manual and verified I have done everything right.

Anyone tow one of these vehicles or have any idea how to stop the ding?
There is a small article in the December issue of Motorhome Magazine in the Tech Savvy section, page 56, concerning this. The final word was that the beeping should quit after 30 minutes.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Super View Post
There is a small article in the December issue of Motorhome Magazine in the Tech Savvy section, page 56, concerning this. The final word was that the beeping should quit after 30 minutes.
Hmmm. Soon as I get back from Florida, I have to read the article. Can't believe I missed it. Thanks.

Tags
tow, towing