Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
TexasSprinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kerrville, Texas
Posts: 281
Back to the Patriot and charging/draining. I'm anticipating the same problem but for a different reason. GM has a feature where they shut down all electrical drains after 10 minutes or so if the accessory or run position is not on. I assume that means the 12V outlets as well, so running the Patriot from those will not work. I was thinking about a line from the 7-pin but it sounds like the 6-pin on the Blue Ox cable has the same ability. But now for the complication: My MH doesn't power the 7-pin when the ignition is off. I'm pretty sure on this as I used to use the power pin to run a compressor on my motorcycle trailer air suspension and it wouldn't work unless the MH was on. So that means the Patriot would fault every time I turned off the ignition? That's a major PITA and unacceptable.

Thoughts?
__________________

__________________
Niel & Carol Powers
Tiffin Allegro RED 33aa
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
ShapeShifter's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTuscany View Post
I was thinking about a line from the 7-pin but it sounds like the 6-pin on the Blue Ox cable has the same ability. But now for the complication: My MH doesn't power the 7-pin when the ignition is off.
If it was me, I would run that charge line to your toad battery, with sell-resetting circuit breakers on both ends. Then I would add a new 12 volt power point in your toad, powering it directly from the toad's battery with an inline fuse or circuit breaker. That way, it'll always be powered, either from the toad or MH.

And be careful with that 6 pin, it can be wired one of two ways, you need to double check that it's hooked up as a charge line. The most common pin arrangements:
4-pin: lights and ground
5-pin: adds a brake controller signal
6-pin: adds charge line OR reverse (back-up lights) signal
7-pin: has charge line AND reverse signal
__________________

__________________
Adam and Sue, and a pack of little furballs
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ Limited Edition - Cummins ISL 400
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad - USGear Unified Tow Brake, Roadmaster Blackhawk II Tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
I guess I need to check but I would imagine the +12volt pin out of the 7 pin connector probably already goes to a fuse. You can just run that to your positive battery post and charge the car battery that way. If you run your brake system to the cigaretter lighter or non switched power plug you will not have to worry about the battery running down. Since you are running off the battery then it wont matter if you turn the ignition off or on for short periods. I did however on one trip by myself forgot to unplug the brake system on the toad and had a dead battery the next day when I started to get ready to leave the campground.
__________________
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
ShapeShifter's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I guess I need to check but I would imagine the +12volt pin out of the 7 pin connector probably already goes to a fuse. You can just run that to your positive battery post and charge the car battery that way.
Yes, that usually works. But do put a second fuse (or preferably a self resetting circuit breaker) on the toad end of that connection. There are two power sources on that line (MH and toad) so it's not enough to have a fuse only on the MH end. If you don't add the second protection device, a short in the umbilical can still melt things or cause a fire because of the power back-feeding from the toad battery
__________________
Adam and Sue, and a pack of little furballs
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ Limited Edition - Cummins ISL 400
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad - USGear Unified Tow Brake, Roadmaster Blackhawk II Tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by COTuscany View Post
Back to the Patriot and charging/draining. I'm anticipating the same problem but for a different reason. GM has a feature where they shut down all electrical drains after 10 minutes or so if the accessory or run position is not on. I assume that means the 12V outlets as well, so running the Patriot from those will not work. I was thinking about a line from the 7-pin but it sounds like the 6-pin on the Blue Ox cable has the same ability. But now for the complication: My MH doesn't power the 7-pin when the ignition is off. I'm pretty sure on this as I used to use the power pin to run a compressor on my motorcycle trailer air suspension and it wouldn't work unless the MH was on. So that means the Patriot would fault every time I turned off the ignition? That's a major PITA and unacceptable.

Thoughts?
My 2012 Buick ( GM) enclave has you pull two fuses when you tow. I do that and I do not know whether that affects the computer monitoring electrical drains or why but the cigarette lighter plug in is on as long as the battery has power in it.
__________________
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
bobmac's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
My 2012 Buick ( GM) enclave has you pull two fuses when you tow. I do that and I do not know whether that affects the computer monitoring electrical drains or why but the cigarette lighter plug in is on as long as the battery has power in it.
+1 on the 2010 HHR. Pulling the fuse(s) likely disables the power monitoring but does not affect the power to the lighter plug.
__________________
Bob
09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
TexasSprinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kerrville, Texas
Posts: 281
Update

Turns out that the Cadillac leaves one accessory plug hot all the time - the one all the way in the back! So I'm thinking an extension cord. As to keeping the battery charged, we'll start with the "cross your fingers" approach (Blue Ox swears it won't run down a battery in a day) and move past that only if necessary. There was somebody at the national that solved it with a solar trickle charger left in the window of the Toad all day long. Interesting approach.
__________________

__________________
Niel & Carol Powers
Tiffin Allegro RED 33aa
TexasSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, toad, toads



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.