Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:27 AM   #1

Strange smell coming from the engine after being towed

Hello friends! This one is for anyone using a 2015 Jeep Cherokee as a tow vehicle!!! Currently I have about 7,000 tow miles and 3,700 actual engine miles on my Jeep Cherokee, every time I tow it and I go to use it I can smell some sort of odor coming from the engine it almost smell like the engine is being broken in, I have smelled this odor when the engines are brand new like when you bring it from the car dealer when brand new but I have close to 4,000 miles the engines should not have a smell. Just to be clear all gauges are green nothing red or any type of warning lights coming on just this smell that will go away after 30 or 40 miles of use but once I towed again it comes back any idea what this can be? Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #2

Next time you tow it and then get that smell ..........

Find out what is getting HOT

Check the tires, rims, brakes, engine cover, tranny etc.

An Infrared Temp Gun would come in handy...beats crawling around and burning fingers.

Smells like that don't just show up w/o something being HOT

Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Take the new car smelly air thingy off the rear view mirror.....and open the windows. That's all I got....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I know this may sound stupid ... but are you absolutely positive you're putting the Jeep transmission into neutral properly?
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:51 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think that when you tow the vehicle, rubber and asphalt from the road get kicked up and settle on the engine. When you start the engine up after that you can smell the stuff being burned off the engine. I have noticed that smell on my toads as well.
gr8grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #6

Apparently he is towing the car 4 down. It isn't very clear in his post. My guess is that he is destroying the transmission.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #7

Like gr8grumpy said, its just road debris that's collected under the car.

Had you been driving it, the stuff would have burnt off as it got on there. Not all at once after a tow.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grumpy View Post
I would think that when you tow the vehicle, rubber and asphalt from the road get kicked up and settle on the engine. When you start the engine up after that you can smell the stuff being burned off the engine. I have noticed that smell on my toads as well.
X2 here. I've had several jeep GC over the years and all have this smell for a few minutes after towing. I think it's road debris settling on the exhaust components because they get hot very fast.

Chad
Old 04-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with the others on road deris, mainly rubber that collects in your toads radiator fins. Mine does this every time we take a long trip. After just driving the toad and no longer towing it four down the smell goes away. I will admit the first time we experienced it I thought I had car problems from towing, now I know better. Part of the experience.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We get the smell on our Jeep GC, at first we worried about it. I do have a infrared heat gun and normally check all the tires, wheel hubs, and brakes and never find any problem. We've towed the Jeep since 2009, probably putting 30K miles on it.

I agree with previous posters, I think it is road dirt/oil getting on the exhaust system while towing and when you first drive it the heat from the exhaust burns it off.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #11

Roast squirrel?
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grumpy View Post
gr8grumpy

That's most likely the reason for the smell if the toad only smells after the engine is started, (and/or when the toad is first driven after being towed).

However if the toad smells after towing but before the engine is started methinks something serious is happening to the toad.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We don't get that smell, but we tow our Cherokee with a dolly.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #14

You are picking up road oil,tar,tire rubber. It is getting on your exhaust manifold and when you start it burns off giving you that smell. It goes away quickly.

Tags
engine, smell, tow