Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #29

Mike & Cha,
Thank you. In response to your car, I know it will load and tow and unload just fine, no trouble at all. However, I am not certain about the manufacturers recommendations for towing that car. We have dozens of people towing that car but I am not sure about the Hybrid part. Wish I could be more help. Thanks.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sammy64,

The problem is more to due with the amount of caster that is built into the front suspension on your vehicles than the dolly. Caster helps with the wheels returning to the straight ahead position and with the tracking of the vehicle when you are driving down the road. You said the wheels would start making the turn then stop. This is were the steering is trying to correct itself back to the straight ahead position.

Have you tried to tow a different make of vehicle on the dolly yet. Try a Ford and GM vehicle on it and see how this does. Make sure to leave the steering wheel unlocked.

I did not purchase the dolly you did but did try it and it worked OK. I ended up with a Master Tow because I was able to get one locally in a very short time frame when we needed it.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #31

EZE TOW, thanks for the response, I will check with Toyota to see if they recommend it...Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmiller32 View Post
Sammy64,

The problem is more to due with the amount of caster that is built into the front suspension on your vehicles than the dolly. Caster helps with the wheels returning to the straight ahead position and with the tracking of the vehicle when you are driving down the road. You said the wheels would start making the turn then stop. This is were the steering is trying to correct itself back to the straight ahead position.

Have you tried to tow a different make of vehicle on the dolly yet. Try a Ford and GM vehicle on it and see how this does. Make sure to leave the steering wheel unlocked.

I did not purchase the dolly you did but did try it and it worked OK. I ended up with a Master Tow because I was able to get one locally in a very short time frame when we needed it.
thanks, i/we dont have anything else to load onto it, im just not confident its same to send mom down the road using it with our little motorhome, So we are just going to sell it and buy a better dolly for our needs, thanks
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
KarKaddySS, enough said!!!!!
X2
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
We have a Ford Fusion 2010 Hybrid and looking for a safe Tow Dolly to haul behind our class a Motorhome... Any suggestions? I have seen many posts, and I want something that will be Safe. Thanks for any information.
Lynn4227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing if you haven't done it, is read your owners manual to make sure you can tow it with the rear wheels on the ground. A lot of people like the Master Tow. However, I prefer the Demco Kar Kaddy SS. The Kar Kaddy has it's own steering so the dolly turns when the motor home turns. The steering wheel of the vehicle is left locked while towing. I bought mine used, I am the third owner. Mine has drum brakes, newer one's have disc brakes. When I bought mine both plastic fenders had cracks in them. I called Demco, they sent me two new fenders free.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Thank you Chuck, getting our Motorhome Friday and trying to figure and plan a lot...Newbies
Old 09-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
On I-44, southbound, you always see Hispanics towing Chrysler minivans, 4 wheels down, which you can't do. They buy them in the North, start the engine, put in neutral, and tow them 1,500 miles to Texas. You could have done that, and saved the cost of the dolly. I wonder if I could do that with my 2000 Cadillac? Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #38

I passed someone towing a similar Caddy, 4-down, motor running. I know it was running because it was the dead of winter and the tailpipes were steaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
On I-44, southbound, you always see Hispanics towing Chrysler minivans, 4 wheels down, which you can't do. They buy them in the North, start the engine, put in neutral, and tow them 1,500 miles to Texas. You could have done that, and saved the cost of the dolly. I wonder if I could do that with my 2000 Cadillac? Eddie Elk.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
First thing if you haven't done it, is read your owners manual to make sure you can tow it with the rear wheels on the ground. A lot of people like the Master Tow. However, I prefer the Demco Kar Kaddy SS. The Kar Kaddy has it's own steering so the dolly turns when the motor home turns. The steering wheel of the vehicle is left locked while towing. I bought mine used, I am the third owner. Mine has drum brakes, newer one's have disc brakes. When I bought mine both plastic fenders had cracks in them. I called Demco, they sent me two new fenders free.

Chuck
Sorry, meant to say EZ Tow, not Master Tow.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Thank you all for the information, Just preordered the new EZY Tow.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #41

I am on my first trip with my EZE Tow. I had some issues with the straps and called the company. I took a few photos and was called back later by the owner Richard. I think that is very good after sale customer support. As for the scrubbing, I don't think any dolly is designed for doing parking lot donuts.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
I don't understand your quote on scrubbing? I am also looking forward to the new version of EZE Tow, This will be our first and I do realize that you can not back up and We are fine with that! Happy and Safe travels

Tags
need help, tow, tow dolly, dolly