Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Subaru AWD Impreza as Toad?

Does anyone know if the AWD Subaru Impreza can be flat towed? Thanks in advance!!!
Iggyval is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

If you go to this site and input the info on the vehicle you'll get the info your after.

Store : Remco
Old 05-28-2016, 04:30 AM   #3

If it is a manual, and only a manual, yes, it can be flat towed. Pretty much any Subiwith a manual tranny up to the 2016 models can be flat towed.
I say up to 2016 because in 2016 Subi changed their recommendation that even with a manual, they should not be flat towed.
Nothing changed on the cars, it's just Subi's way of getting out of warranty responsibility.
We tow a 2013 Subi XV Crosstrek, and have done so for over 10,000 miles without any problems.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
That is interesting. So, it is about the warranty and not about the car being able to be towed or not. I've been towing our 2003 Subaru Forester for its whole life and with no problems. I would love to have an Impreza instead of a Soul or other FWD car.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:18 AM   #5

Iggy, I asked my local Subi dealer/service head. He told me that there are no changes in the running gear on the manual 2016 Subie's, that they are unchanged from previous years.
He thinks that the change was made so Subi wouldn't have to honor warranty claims if it was found to be due to towing.
Apparently, although the sequence for proper towing is very easy (ignition to acc position, tranny in neutral, emergency brake off), some owners were leaving it in gear, or had the ignition on, causing damage that Subi had to repair.
If your looking at an Impreza or XV to tow, you might want to look at a 2015 as they still can be towed 4 down (per the manual).
2016 can be towed 4 down, but you would possibly be on your own for any warranty work due to towing it.
Grumpy
Old 05-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, Grumpy. I'll look into it!!!
Old 06-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #7

I tow my '14 Crosstrek. It's a great compromise between a car and a jeep.
HR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I flat tow a 2012 Impreza, manual transmission. Before I bought the car I emailed Subaru and asked them if it was ok to flat tow the car. They sent me an email back stating all Subarus can be flat towed if they are manual. The only exception I think is the BRZ roadster, but not 100% sure on that.
The news that 2016 models cannot be flat towed is curious. What's that all about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Apr 07, 11 30 48 AM.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	128973  
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:32 AM   #9

Some of the publications like the Motorhome Towing Guide don't even list the 2016 Subi's, with manual tranny, as towable for 2016. They don't even list Subi in their guide anymore.
Another magazine still states their towable.
As I posted I checked with my Subi dealer and was told the info I related. But, I was not able to look/read a 2016 Subi owners manual to verify.
THAT would tell you what you need to know in relation to towing the current 2016 Subi's 4 down, and I would recomend that you look/read the info under towing befor making your decision.
Heck, even dealers/salesmen don't always know what can and can't be done with the vehicles they sell. So, it falls on us to dig and find out.
Grumpy
Old 07-18-2016, 01:01 AM   #10

@grumpy0374

Do you have personal experience towing a more recent (2015+) Subaru WRX or STI? I already contacted Subaru of America and they no longer support flat towing a WRX or STI. Even though the 2016 manual provides instruction on flat towing both cars, it is only supposed to be done in an "emergency". In 2015, the WRX engine was updated to the 2.0L and the STI is still running at 2.5L. Already posted to the WRX/STI forum and no one has responded to my post. I'm curious as to what could possibly go wrong with the car if it is setup properly. Is there a speed and/or distance limit?
swsunwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 AM   #11

No personal experience, but...
I have the 2015 and 2016 Motorhome Magazine Towing Guide.
The 2016 does not list any Subi's as being flat towable.
The 2015 does list the 2015 WRX and WRX STI as being flat towable with the manual trans. Trans in neutral, emergency brake off, ignition turned to the "ACCESSORY" position (first click before on position). If your dash lights come on, you've gone too far.
Just posting info that's in the Towing Guide...no personal knowledge.
Grumpy
Old 07-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Some of the publications like the Motorhome Towing Guide don't even list the 2016 Subi's, with manual tranny, as towable for 2016. They don't even list Subi in their guide anymore.
Another magazine still states their towable.
As I posted I checked with my Subi dealer and was told the info I related. But, I was not able to look/read a 2016 Subi owners manual to verify.
THAT would tell you what you need to know in relation to towing the current 2016 Subi's 4 down, and I would recomend that you look/read the info under towing befor making your decision.
Heck, even dealers/salesmen don't always know what can and can't be done with the vehicles they sell. So, it falls on us to dig and find out.
Grumpy
I posted a lot of information on a 2016 WRX with a manual. I bought one and later Subaru bought it back and covered all my cost as they would honor a warranty if towed. Prior to my purchase Subaru said it could be towed but later said NO
Old 07-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks so much. I'm going to look at the Impreza today. Yes, it might affect the warranty, but, at this point, I think it is fine to flat tow it. They don't have to worry about me buying an extended warranty if they won't even honor the regular one.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #14

@franktr, I saw your posts on your experience with your WRX. My question had less to do with if Subaru's warranty will cover the car if it is flat towed, which is no, but if anyone has actually flat towed a 2016+ WRX. Based upon your experience and a few other posts I've read, looks like the issue is with the push-to-start feature. Some of the lower end models do not have the feature, while the limited and STI have it. If you have a WRX with a key, it is easier to know that you have the ignition in the ACC position. I would assume ACC for a push-to-start ignition would require you to hit the button without putting your foot on the brake, but not clear if that allows the steering wheel to turn and if the transmission if fully disengaged in neutral. Spoke to the service center and the 2015-2017 WRX and STI have the same transmission so it seems like isn't a mechanical issue.

My wife and I agreed that it really isn't worth the cost of buying a new car that isn't certified to be towed (regardless if it can be towed) and most likely going to look for a pre-2015 Honda CRV. One concern I had with the WRX/STI is that the baseplate is closer to the ground and people have been hitting their hitch dropper when driving up and down steeper driveways.
swsunwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad