Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Subaru no longer flat towable

Hi all - heads up. 2016 and 2017 Subaru manual or automatic transmissions are no longer towable 4 down. I also heard flat towing voids warranty's on older models now as well.

We had to return a 2017 and buy a used CR-V.

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
I also heard flat towing voids warranty's on older models now as well.

Jim
Sorry, but that is not legally possible, a manufacturer cannot modify or rescind any portion of a written warranty without officially notifying each and every owner of the warranty change and addressing any conflicts ($$$) that it may cause. Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act 1984.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Sorry, but that is not legally possible, a manufacturer cannot modify or rescind any portion of a written warranty without officially notifying each and every owner of the warranty change and addressing any conflicts ($$$) that it may cause. Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act 1984.

Just what I heard on the warranty issue. I don't know if true or not. I guess it would depend if the warranty specifically addresses towing either way.

The first part is definitely true - no more towing 2016/2017 Subaru cars even those with manual transmissions.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

no more flat towing new Honda CRV's either
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

I think more and more cars are becoming no towable 4 down, and lots can not be towed on a dolly.
I guess in the future you may see more and more motorhomes with dollies and trailers, or just no toads at all,
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Any reasons why? I have heard this but haven't seen the details anywhere. We have a 2016 Crosstrek and the manual specifically says flat towing is fine - key to acc and in neutral. That's the whole reason we bought it, and are getting it fitted for towing in a couple weeks.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
Any reasons why? I have heard this but haven't seen the details anywhere. We have a 2016 Crosstrek and the manual specifically says flat towing is fine - key to acc and in neutral. That's the whole reason we bought it, and are getting it fitted for towing in a couple weeks.

It's the manufacturer's way of limiting liability in the case of accidents and warranty cost. Also the new airbag systems sometimes have sensors mounted in the front frame horns that can be activated by the forces exerted when being towed 4 down.

Since the 4 down towing market is such a microscopic percentage of total sales it's not worth the aggravation, strictly a dollars & cents business decision.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I tow a 2016 Forester and have not experienced any problems thus far. My longest trip was round trip to the east coast from Iowa. It is a manual transmission. There seems to be a lot of confusion about this. FMC says it is towable with no restrictions. Also, I leave the key in the ignition and in the off position and have a 12 volt line directly to the battery.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I get the hearsay, but I want to know if there is a technical bulletin or warranty disclaimer that specifically prohibits towing a 2016 Subaru. I still haven't seen one. My warranty information doesn't say anything about it, and the owner's manual says it's fine.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I would guess the subura market is small anyway,
so those that want one for towing is even smaller ??? dunno...

maybe Jeeps will be behind every rv in the future ?!?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
I get the hearsay, but I want to know if there is a technical bulletin or warranty disclaimer that specifically prohibits towing a 2016 Subaru. I still haven't seen one. My warranty information doesn't say anything about it, and the owner's manual says it's fine.

I bought a 2017 brand new. Dealer knew we were looking to tow it. The manual allows for emergency towing only. I read it wrong and went ahead with the purchase. Got home and some other IRV2 members pointed that out to me. I contacted Subaru who sent me an email saying "no subarus are flat towable" now. In a technical sense that is BS as we know subaru's with manual transmissions are towable in the older models (maybe 2016 is the cut off date?). Either way I wasn't risking it on a brand new car and returned it. The dealership was just as surprised as we were.

Bought a 2012 Honda CR-V and am getting all the gadgets to make it towable.

I hope you don't have an issue.
Jim
Old 11-12-2016, 05:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
I bought a 2017 brand new. Dealer knew we were looking to tow it. The manual allows for emergency towing only. I read it wrong and went ahead with the purchase. Got home and some other IRV2 members pointed that out to me. I contacted Subaru who sent me an email saying "no subarus are flat towable" now. In a technical sense that is BS as we know subaru's with manual transmissions are towable in the older models (maybe 2016 is the cut off date?). Either way I wasn't risking it on a brand new car and returned it. The dealership was just as surprised as we were.

Bought a 2012 Honda CR-V and am getting all the gadgets to make it towable.

I hope you don't have an issue.
Jim
My understanding is that this policy started partway through 2016 and a lot of people were getting mixed information from Subaru dealers, which is why we looked elsewhere for a car last year when we bought. I believe the Dingy Towing guide put out by FMCA reflects this for 2017 and the guidance from Subaru was received after the 2016 guide was published. FMCA followed up with Subaru Corporate to confirm and this was the initial response:

Subaru of America (SOA) has responded to Family Motor Coaching magazine's request that the company clarify its position on flat-towing Subaru vehicles behind motorhomes.

"Moving forward, SOA cannot recommend dinghy towing. Our cars should be flat-bedded."

No further explanation was provided.

Based on this information, Subaru vehicles will NOT be included in Family Motor Coaching's 2017 Towables Guide, which will publish in January 2017. We have asked whether the recommendation also applies to vehicles from previous years. The response: "Right now, FHI (Subaru's parent company) is saying no dinghy towing, but we are still trying to get a clear explanation. So based on our current position, I must recommend towing all our cars on a flatbed.

FMCA published the following last month:

Subaru Says “No” To Flat Towing

Family Motor Coaching magazine has published its annual towables guide since 1999, and each year, the list of vehicles that can be towed four wheels down behind a motorhome has included various Subaru models that are equipped with a manual transmission. The list is based on information FMC receives from each manufacturer, including Subaru. However, Subaru has recently changed its stance. A statement that FMC received from the company in August said that Subaru of America can no longer recommend dinghy towing, and all Subaru cars should be towed on a flat bed.

This is from the Subaru web site owners question area:

Q "What recommendations does Subaru have about towing my vehicle behind a motor home?"
A "Please follow the recommendations outlined in the Owner's Manual if there is a need to tow a Subaru vehicle. The best way to transport your vehicle is a flatbed tow truck with ALL wheels off the ground. Always follow the precautions and recommendations outlined in the Owner's Manual if flat towing with all wheels on the ground is unavoidable in an emergency situation."
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #13

I'm sticking with our 2009 Forester toad! 80k+ miles on it (NOT from towing!!!), well out of any warranty - so I'm OK with it pushing us along! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #14

Subaru changed their position on flat towing older Imprezas

Hello everyone,

Just purchased our first RV (yay). We have a 2012 AWD Manual transmission Subaru Impreza and we were hopeful that we could tow the Impreza (RAV4 seemed risky even with Remco products). Read the threads. Read the web sites. Read the owner's manual. Everything seemed positive about using the Impreza as a toad.

Contacted Subaru. They have changed their position on Impreza towing. Initially, they told me to follow the owner's manual, then they told me that the 2012 owner's manual no longer reflects their recommendations on towing.

Initial email response:

Thank you for contacting Subaru.

Please follow the recommendations outlined in the Owner's Manual if there is a need to tow a Subaru vehicle. The best way to transport a Subaru vehicle is a flatbed tow truck with ALL wheels off the ground. Always follow the precautions and recommendations outlined in the Owner's Manual if flat towing with all wheels on the ground is unavoidable in an emergency situation.

Follow-up response (after I pointed out that flat towing is allowed):

Thank you for your email response.

Again, the recommendations have changed since 2012. The best way to tow a Subaru vehicle is with all wheels off of the ground. If you need to tow your vehicle, you can follow the steps in the owners manual. However, that would be in emergency situations and the best way is with all wheels off of the ground.

Given that our Subaru is five years-old and out of warranty, we're still considering using the Impreza as a toad regardless of Subaru's change in position.
jschmelzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow